cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emails constantly blocked as spam to all comcast accounts ( and others)

Tdb
Spectator

Re: emails constantly blocked as spam to all comcast accounts ( and others)

Thanks for that information.  All my emails from my hughes.net address have been blocked to aol since around July 1st, and then any emails to yahoo since around July 7th.  Now my emails even to a local title company are blocked: "Permanent block since you've attempted to send to too many invalid recipients."  I never send to invalid recipients.

I'm glad I found this forum and to see that others are having the same problem.  I rate the hughes service at about a zero, but I've had it the last 10 years due to it being the only service available in the remote area in which I live.

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

@Tdb wrote:

Now my emails even to a local title company are blocked: "Permanent block since you've attempted to send to too many invalid recipients."  I never send to invalid recipients.

@Tdb

Unfortunately, the block by your title company is a draconian response to the fact that spammers steal valid email addresses from any of the various mailing lists you might be on. So the problem is the title company's method of blocking and not the fault of HughesNet in that particular case.

I'm constantly getting bounce messages from email servers whose admins haven't kept up with technology. For example, had they taken the time to check with any of the authorized global lookups they would see that my email address is only valid when coming from a specific SMTP server... As if the process of sending bounce messages wasn't a security issue to begin with.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Virgil2U
Freshman

From what I have read and researched, it isn't so much that any email from any Hughes.net subscriber is blocked but the way the Hughes.net email server software is set up that these other email servers have a problem with understanding and reading the coding. Some of this is due to a Hughes.net to free up the bandwidth on the system since it is satellite and it requires a different form of coding than for say cable or DSL internet. Not only are certain email servers affected by this but also other internet programs such as VPN's are affected as well. It isn't that Hughes.net is being mean or vicious in this, just that with so much traffic on the satellite system and to keep the system operating at the highest level of speed and strength it has to have this differenet software and coding so that everyone on the system does not have connection problems. But I can say for a certainity that Hughes.net is most likely the best satellite internet provider around, after having Exede for over two years and struggling with it on a daily basis Hughes.net is like going from swimming in a bath tub to swimming in the ocean. So I can live with the petty annoyances of certain places not getting my emails. On a personal note I look forward to the end of AOL.

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

@Virgil2U

Not sure what you've discovered about HughesNet's email server, but I'm pretty certain they use sendmail like everyone else. So conformity to email standards shouldn't be an issue. In fact you can send an email to yourself and view the headers... they're fine.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Virgil2U
Freshman

Not all email servers from different forms of internet are the same, some programs require a certain amount of data in the packet to be sent or it will automatically reject it. That is a major problem with Satellite internet, it cannot go as fast and as much data as regular land line internet services. This rejection is also a way to ensure that the email will not get corrupted during the transmission. I don't write the software programs or coding, all I know is what I have learned in College and from reading from other technical experts in the field with many many years of experience.

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

@Virgil2U

Sorry, but to quote Firesign Theatre, "Everything You Know Is Wrong". lol

If everything you learned in college was when I went to college in the late 70's/early 80's, yeah, it was true then. Flashfoward (holy crap...) 40 years and compression technology's moved well beyond Nyquist's bandwidth equations.

Yeah, there's possibly a 400ms+ delay on account of the speed of light and distance up/down between you and a gateway, but who says the actual channel rate is slow even using best 2/4 forward error correction signalling methods...

Sorry, but whoever convinced you HughesNet email is coded differently owes you a beer for yanking your chain. Once it leaves the gateway onto the backbone it's just like any other internet provider, and it's 100% compliant... otherwise my personal email server would be rejecting it.