cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

equipment or password

equipment or password

I have the 5g plan but my items connected are listed to 2g. do I need new equipment or  just a password  to connect as 5g subscriber, buffering is a problem and trying to go to the beggining of movie does not work, service does not have speed to download  

4 REPLIES
Distinguished Professor I

Re: equipment or password

Hi rickc2002,

As long as your devices are capable of utilizing the 5Ghz band you should be able to connect to the 5Ghz radio using the same password that you used to connect to the 2.4Ghz (2g) radio.  The password is also listed on the back of the modem.

If your devices aren't seeing the 5Ghz radio, they're probably not able to connect to that band.  Some devices aren't able to utilize the 5Ghz band, especially older ones, though many newer devices are.  

But, to be sure that the 5Ghz radio is on, which is should be by default, go to http://192.168.0.1/#!/usage and click on WiFi Settings on the left.  Use admin as the password.  On the main Home page, make sure that the SSID Enable and SSID Broadcast boxes are both checked for the 5Ghz radio.  If they are, but your devices are still not showing the 5Ghz connection capability, they most likely can't utilize the 5Ghz band and can only connect with the 2.4Ghz band.  If the aren't checked, do so and click Save Settings, then check the connection again.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Distinguished Professor I

@rickc2002

In addition, if you are trying to stream in HD, try turning off, or pausing for four hours, the Video Data Saver, which you can do through the HughesNet Usage Meter (Video Settings) or by signing into http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount and clicking on Settings.  The Video Data Saver is designed to throttle the service speed while streaming to such that is amenable to streaming in SD or lower, but it can cause buffering if trying to stream in HD.  Even still, if you are seeing buffering while trying to stream in SD, you can still trying turning it off, or pausing it for four hours.  

What is Video Data Saver?

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

Hi Rickc2002,

GabeU has provided you a very good answer. Please let us know if this helped you identify the problem and if you need any further assistance feel free to reach back out Smiley Happy

-Amanda

Hi  Rickc2002

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thank you,

Amanda