Hughesnet Community

gaming

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mistyblades

gaming

I know this has been discussed before but, all threads I've seen are from 2+ years ago.
Its obvious, even though i was told otherwise, fast paced shooters are out such as call of duty. Which is strange cause i can get online i just can't get into a lobby. 
The sales rep told me i could play it it'll just lag. Even the installer told me its possible. Some threads I've read say they have no issues at all playing. How is my question..

Any list ever come about of what games CAN be played and I'm not talking pogo.com ? I'm talking PC or console, does that even matter? Does one use more? 
Will it handle minecraft? WiiU? Any info or examples of games would be appreciated. 
16 REPLIES 16
Melissa6

Hi Misty Blades, Try this thread: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24116313-Networking-Online-Gaming-on-HughesNet It's a bit oudated and large BUT it does list all sorts of games playable using hughes net 🙂
mistyblades

i appreciate the link just wish there was 1 more updated. this is back in 2010... 
i still don't understand how SOME people are playing certain games with no issues and MANY of us CANT! 
Even if anyone who replies to this thread could list games they've tried. 
I hear both sides and don't get why. Or, WOW is playable and it takes up NOTHING or its A LOT and FAST.
Im not a WOW player but, its not out of the question. Just looking for some updated help.
thanks again Melissa.:)
Melissa6

Your welcome Misty, Wish I had a more updated one on hand 🙂 Truthfully I think the majority of us have finally realized gaming through hughes is just not worth it. Although i have enjoyed a FEW online games with hughes, such as need for speed world, a tinge of grand theft auto, and a spec of facebook games here an there. Personally I perfer the offline games, as there is no lag and no data to lose lol. If I do come accross another posts though I'll be sure to keep you in mind!!
mistyblades

Thanks again. I appreciate that. Im an addict and going cold turkey is not becoming fun. I was on COD but its unplayable regardless of what the sales rep said.. jerk..
Ive recently started playing pogo.com again just for a game or 2 to play. 

And your right, even if you CAN get on and play it, is it worth your data lol. Not much fun if you play for 10mins and now your out.. 

i keep Y! searching but a lot of answers are everywhere which i still don't understand. How it could kill data for you and not effect me. Any who, ill keep checking. Thanks again! 
Christopher San

when playing your games ,  make sure you are not playing ,them in HD mode ,only on SD mode , it will save you a lot of data drainage , just saying if you did not already know !!!!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Mistyblades,
In many cases, you will be "rejected" by a game server because of the high "ping" inherent in a sat connection.
They simply don't want you to bog down their network.
In the end, you just can't beat the speed of light
Warren
Alum

Mistyblades,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. As we don't have a list of games compatible for HughesNet available here, maybe posting in the forum that Melissa provided above might return you some good results. Keep us posted on your finding to share here with the community!
(Thank you Melissa!)

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

- Warren
mistyblades

Already have done this and no ones even looked at it since i posted it. MOST of the post are between 2010 and 2013 theres 1 of 2014.. so i think I'm SOL...
No list here probably answers my question then of is it possible. REALLY wish the sales rep hadn't said i could.
mistyblades

Christopher, Good reminder. I believe the sales rep mentioned that but, I'm new to this so thank you. 
Gwalk, Yeah, I'm getting the impression gaming is PRETTY MUCH out of the question. 
stupid ping... 
Thanks for your replies & knowledge! 

Trying myself to connect to GW2 & WOW.. and both games it disconnect me immediatly and states errors & firewall issues.   It appears that Hughes Net is purposly blocking these sites.?   I read the post from a "DOC" but that was many years ago... 

I went to Hughes net due to my frustration with Dish only giving me 15 gb data.. I was  so happy to be able to get 30 here .. but what is the point is I cant do the things I want to do?? and limited places to go.. Does the government run this company?

Can anyone confirm if these two MMO games are playable and why am I being blocked? 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor
Christopher San

i looked but have no answers to gaming so i did not comment  , i'm just another member like you , sorry !!  Just part of their community base forum   !!!  but salesmen  HHHUUUMMMMMMM we could go and                all of them , What you ,think !!!
mistyblades

Im with you there!! UGH!!! 
mistyblades

id like to add this link for the official rep... Warren..http://www.satelliteinternetpros.com/satellite-internet-articles/internet-for-gaming

This link is absolute CRAP!

"Satellite Internet also supports gaming systems such as PlayStation®, Xbox 360, and Wii and video streaming services such as Netflix® and HuluTM" i realize it doesn't say FPS but a lot of people can't even GET ONLINE with these! 
Also, What good is logging on if you can't play anything?!.. 

Please someone help me understand...
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Some of the blame lies on the console makers end. They set ping times artificially high even for games that aren't affected much by latency/ping.
From things I have read, they have gradually been setting the maximum time lower and lower across the board for all games regardless the type. 

Also, have you tried turning off Web Acceleration before logging on? What plan are you on?
mistyblades

im not sure how to do this? 
the prime package 10G anytime 50G peak hours?.. 
Should i turn off web acceleration? Im sorry i don't know what any of this means lol