gen 5 system

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shadow357
Sophomore

gen 5 system

Just had a gen5 system installed 4 days ago and its looking like a serious mistake.

For 3 of the 4 days I let it go so that maybe there was a software update needed and nothing.

Speed test have never gotten abouve 1.9 kbps which is only .3 kbps faster than my slow dsl.

Called tech support and after about 30 minutes of troubleshooting no dice.

Suddenly I get offered an upgrade to a gen 5 (yup) Really? I just had a gen 5 installed and now they want to upgrade me?

So after all was said and done I agreed to have another installer come out andservice my equipment. Along with that they wanted installation fees. I ask why am I paying for installation when this system is only 4 days old? CS rep states that they have to reaim the dish and install another modem. ??????

All I am asking for is the promised 10mps download speeds and not with what I was left with. It has to be a simple setting that can be made imo. I have agreed to my side of the 2 yr commitment , why cant hughsnet?

It seemd that the cs rep ( I have his name as well) was only interested in sell sell sell.

Any help would be welcomed as to maybe some setting changes or whatever.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Now I was quick to complain and it was for a very good reason due to very inferior internet speed ( noted in above posts)

After a second installer came out to my residence and aimed me to the new bird changed the modem out and possibly the lnb ( I havent checked the serial yet) I now have above what was advertised internet. I realize that as the bird gets more load on it that it will slow down some and honestly I can live with that.

So with that being said I hope that everyone will be sorted before long and the speeds increase for all.

Here is the latest speed test.

http://testmy.net/db/xoHac70nL

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

You aren't on Gen5 currently, the Gen5 modem is backwards compatible with the older satellite and service plans.

It sounds like you are on Jupiter One (Gen4) with a Gen4 service plan since Gen5 service plans offer upto 25Mbps and not 10Mbps.

The reason they are interested in "sell sell sell" is because Jupiter One is overloaded and they are trying to get customers off that bird onto the new Jupiter Two bird.

Thanks for the reply but the problem is I am not even getting gen 4 speeds. Top speed of 1.9 kbps , is that really and acceptable speed for this system? Not in my book.

All Im asking for is at leat close to the advertised and promised speeds, nothing more.

Im hoping there is a simple setting somewhere in the modem.

Seriously I want to make this work but if this is what I can expect speed wise what is the sense in keeping it around if my dsl is only .3 kbps slower and hlf the cost.

My mistake, I stated kbps instead of mbps.

Also here a 2 recent speed tests, which in my opinion do not come aqnywhere close to the advertised speeds.

http://testmy.net/db/ZKDdY7J9X  this morning

http://testmy.net/db/2Oz96XAar  3-17-17

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@shadow357 wrote:

Thanks for the reply but the problem is I am not even getting gen 4 speeds. Top speed of 1.9 kbps , is that really and acceptable speed for this system? Not in my book.

All Im asking for is at leat close to the advertised and promised speeds, nothing more.

Im hoping there is a simple setting somewhere in the modem.

Seriously I want to make this work but if this is what I can expect speed wise what is the sense in keeping it around if my dsl is only .3 kbps slower and hlf the cost.

Have you tried sending a PM to one of the admins here?  

Did you just imply that they sold more packages than the current system can handle?  Go fugure.  And the're still selling Gen 4.  Imagine that.  Sounds like fraud, but I'm the dumb one in this mix. 

So, being that this is a "support Page" is there not anyone that can answer not only my issue but seems to be many others as well as to the poor speeds that we are getting?

After reading many threads and seeing the same complaints over and over I see no resolution.

Even made sure that I did the tsts as mandated by the admins here and not one single answer. CS via phone is of no help as they only want to upsell and not try to fix the issue.

As Ive stated before I really do want to make this system work but its not looking good at all at this point.

Ive had 2 instances were the internet was at or above the rate I was sold. For a grand total of 5 minutes each.

Once again here are the results but not really sure if anyone that can help really is on here or not.

http://testmy.net/db/ANrOUSBfL

I would honestly be happy with 5 mbps to be honest but with crap internet that this system is showing I may as well go back to my slow (now seems lightning fast) level 1 dsl.

BTW 394 Kbps is my current dl speed REALLY?

On a side not. Here is a test from testmy with my what I thought was slow before now. Luckily Ive kept dsl for now.

http://testmy.net/db/YgKvWCyh2

Hi shadow357,

Welcome and thanks for posting and running those testmy.net speed tests. I've run diagnostics on your site and can certainly escalate your case to our engineers. Please note that it may take a week or more to find out if there will be maintenance scheduled to address your performance concerns.

C0RR0SIVE is correct, I can see you have our new HT2000w WiFi modem, but you are currently pointed at our EchoStar 17 satellite and running on the Gen 4 Prime Plus plan.

As a newly installed customer, we do have Gen 5 upgrade deals available when you call in. If you decide to upgrade to Gen 5, please let me know so I can let engineering know to disregard your escalation.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

How did he UPgrade to the new Gen 5 with a HT2000 modem and stay on an old satellite with a Gen 4 Prime Plus plan?

monicakm,

This is not an upgrade, it is a new install. This was the only equipment that the vendor had at the time.

Good morning shadow357,

I'll escalate your case. Just to be sure, in the event engineering asks, those tests run on testmy.net were on a computer hooked up to the HT2000w WiFi modem?

I must note, we do have offers available that can result in nearly no additional cost. The big thing would be the option to have the $99 lease setup fee waived, so please keep that in mind. As I mentioned before, after I escalate, it can be a while before I might get confirmation of a scheduled maintenance for your beam. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz,

Yes all test run were performed with the computer hardwired to the modem itself. I tried to follow the exact steps outlined here on the page.

Thanks

Now I was quick to complain and it was for a very good reason due to very inferior internet speed ( noted in above posts)

After a second installer came out to my residence and aimed me to the new bird changed the modem out and possibly the lnb ( I havent checked the serial yet) I now have above what was advertised internet. I realize that as the bird gets more load on it that it will slow down some and honestly I can live with that.

So with that being said I hope that everyone will be sorted before long and the speeds increase for all.

Here is the latest speed test.

http://testmy.net/db/xoHac70nL

Good for you!  I always say that if I'm going to bash or complain about a company for bad service, I need to praise them for good service 🙂

When the first guy installed the system, did he show you the Satellite Receive Signal Strength under System Status (it might be diffrent for Gen 5) and do any download speed test and let you see the browsing speed?

Actually I wasnt here for the first install. My wife was and when I got home and seen both hands on her hips I knew it wasnt good at all. That when I started going through the process of cs which in turn didnt want to do anything but sell sell sell, and not try to correct the issue. In their defense I will say that I already knew what they were going to ask as I used to install myself so that may have had an effect and they went hands off on me. I would have at least expected an escalation to a higher tech. It wasnt until I came here that I got the support that should have been on the cs side.

Second installer came changed the modem , lnb radio and reaimed the dish. Wife was on the internet and hands on the mouse so I knew it as at least a little better. I was surprised at how much though. Speed tests are in above comments.

I know that the current speeds I am getting will start dropping as new customers come to Gen 5 but as long as I can get better than anything available out here I am happy.

Now if the wife has her hands on her hips (which we all know is BAD) its not the internet, I goofed

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@shadow357 wrote:

I know that the current speeds I am getting will start dropping as new customers come to Gen 5 but as long as I can get better than anything available out here I am happy.

Although this is technically true, and will most likely drop somewhat as the beams fill up, as well, it will probably be quite some time before this happens.  The ES19 has more than double the capacity of the ES17, and it will take a long time before the ES19 reaches anywhere near capacity.  

Good morning shadow357,

Thanks so much for this update! I was looking at your account before I read your latest post and was surprised to see that you were now pointed at the new satellite. I'm happy to see you're getting more than the new Gen 5 speed!

Please don't hesitate to drop by the community again if you have any other concerns.

Hello, I Just had the new Gen 5 installed today. But I my speeds tonight have been well below 2 Mbits and once hitting .580 kbs! I did the testmy 12Mb speed test. I am a new customer, is it possible I was pointed at the wrong satelite? how would I tell? 

Thanks Liz,

I was beginning to wonder if there would be any solution to this problem.

I would rather have a resolution to my current issue than to be sold an upgrade. My way of thinking is to fix the problem first then we can talk about an upgrade if we can see something decent.

I look forward to seeing what we can work out.