cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gen ripoff 4... bandwidth allowance can be gone in a few days....

gen ripoff 4... bandwidth allowance can be gone in a few days....

gen 4 ripoff.... allowance resets monthly instead of daily.... has caused major family conflict between parents and kids using it up. it always has been a crappy deal but at least the next day it would work again.... now we go without service for 20+ days at a time. even when working at it's best it's never steady reliable speed.... been a customer for 8 years. the first 3 were ok, then downhill degradation quickly since. being lied to saying my old system problems were because of the needed upgrade by a hughes net schyster who promised how awesomely better it would be if I agreed really sucked! found out during the install the last crook that worked on it purposely left the dish loose and aimed incorrectly so I'd call back for this gen4 upgrade as my only solution to have it working at all. so underhanded is the way this company treats it's customers. and then the XP thing..... damn, all in the same year LOL. might cancel this and just sit in my van outside of McDonalds.... there wifi is much faster Smiley Wink
7 REPLIES 7

Re: gen ripoff 4... bandwidth allowance can be gone in a few days....

All I can say is I am glad they don't treat all their customers that way!

Hello Pete,

We're very sorry you feel this way. I've reviewed your account and see the date we offered you the upgrade. We can request that the center pull the call for us if it is not too far back and we can review it. In regards to your dish being "out of alignment", you were part of a small amount of residential customers who were on a transponder that had interference and needed to be closed. This is the reason we pushed for you to upgrade your service, as the one you had then would have eventually stopped working. To my knowledge, looking at the order, we also upgraded you completely free of charge.

On another note, I've just finished looking at your diagnostics. Your signal is supreme, but I am noticing some problems. The modem is having trouble pulling a response from whatever it is connected to. It may just be as simple as rebooting the router (if you have one) or changing out your LAN cable to resolve the problems you've been having. Sometimes your connection can appear slow if you lose connectivity while loading a page. Other customers report that simply refreshing a slow-loading page will bring it up fast. This is usually due to a dropped connection in the middle of trying to pull up a YouTube video or website. If rebooting your router or changing out the LAN cable does not help, we can monitor and troubleshoot with you over the phone as the issue is happening. Let us know!

Thanks,
Amanda

Hi James,

This is a great question. The colors may not differentiate the latest type of ethernet cable you have - but the small print on them should. It is said the best to use is a Cat5 type ethernet cable or better to have the best performance. Hope this helps!

Thanks
Amanda

so please tell me Amanda why was the decision made to reset bandwidth on a monthly basis rather than every 24 hours? Hard to believe I could be the only customer griping about this. Bet your token purchases have gone up nicely and service upgrades besides. Just riding out this hughes.net storm until DSL comes out here. By the way AT&T has been upgrading equipment here I bet it's just around the corner. Competition will make rural area internet more affordable for all
we are hoping.... How about mailing me a new LAN cable as I would think it should be under warranty. Maybe you ought to tell your new technician in my area not to mention how the previous guy had it all screwed up. This new system is acting the same as the old, nothing but problems, with a lot of bandwidth being used to reload dropped pages. I reboot both my modem and router almost daily. I used to have to disconnect and blow on the coax cable ends to make it work as it appeared RF was hanging in the feedline. Possibly a bad standing wave ratio match. Your old technician was here a half dozen times and never got it right.... and here we go again. I need to relocate my modem 100 ft away from where it is now. Maybe a coax length change might help it. what type of RG6 cable would you suggest for best performance? Does it have to be rated to 3 gigahertz? please let me know and thank you ahead of time! Pete

Hi Pete,

The discussion of bandwidth allowances has been brought up in the past, and a very good thread I can refer you to has a statement from our VP of Sales and Marketing explaining a bit more about our data allowances  here: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/gen_4_service_plan

I checked into your installation and while it looks good, there is the matter of the large antenna on the side of the house near your dish. Is it inactive or considered not an interference ? If so, we can disregard that.
The coaxial cables are held to a field standard for our installers, I can get you the information on this, but we can always send you a technician at no cost to do the move and cable extensions for you - under our scrutiny that it is done to highest caliber. If the matter of power or consistency of connection is a question, we will make sure your connectors contain the proper dielectric grease, weather proofing and your dish is properly grounded. Please let us know how you'd like to proceed and we will get it done!

Thank you
Amanda
Assistant Professor

Also, a 100ft move? Is he talking a hundred feet of cable between the dish and modem? That is pushing the limits, no?