glasswire

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farmerhugh
Junior

glasswire

i am trying to use glasswire to narrow down whats suddenly gobbling up my data.  Could someone be kind enough to tell me what im supposed to be looking for.  im really confused as to how to use it.  thanks
43 REPLIES 43
Ricky
Tutor

Liz

Thanks for posting that, Ricky, it's perfect! I was about to search for one of Gwalk's post that had that info, but you got it. 🙂

farmerhugh, please follow Ricky's link for a nice little guide to using GlassWire.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

farmerhugh
Junior

thanks!!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi farnerhugh,

Just to add a little .....

You can get a more detailed report for a given time period by adjusting the "sliders" at the bottom of the GlassWire display:

And

There are a couple of points that you need to keep in mind:

#1: GlassWire will only track and display usage for the single computer that it is installed on.

If you have multiple computers you will have to do a separate install on each machine and add the totals.

#2: Keep in mind that having a router connected makes things more difficult as it allows multiple devices to share a connection and the wireless portion is the worst.

As an example I brought my Samsung Galaxy tab 4 home from work for a few days. Despite it being set up to NOT update some installed apps continued to update. The data used was not recorded by GlassWire because it can't be installed on that device. The tablet consumed about 800 MB of data in the few days it was home.

I would encourage you to remove any router from the network during the troubleshooting phase. Connect a single computer directly to the modem.

Test each computer separately over a few days and see what programs or processes are using data.

Remember also that users running Win10 have very little to no control over what and when Win10 updates or the info it "shares".

Also keep in mind that Microsoft is "preloading" Win10 to users of Win7, 8 and 8.1 as a background process.

If you have any questions regarding the use of GlassWire or general data loss issues just post them to this topic and I'll do my best to assist.

farmerhugh
Junior

What is a hypertext transfer.  I really dont understand a lot of these terms/ pn Glaswire I;, thinking of juzt resetting my computer..  In looking back McAfee made a major change in their anti virux.  That was done on April 28th when all my problems started.  Is there any other anti virus that does not suck up data.  Do you feel windows defender is suffcient ro protect computer.  I'm grasping at straws here and getting p at 2 am to use my computer is taking a toll on this old lady. Thanks for your help
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I've used Comodo for several years now and very pleased with it: https://antivirus.comodo.com/download-free-antivirus.php
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Http stands for hyper text transfer protocol . .. browser traffic.

Defender doesn't have the best detection rates.
I use the free version of Avast.
farmerhugh
Junior

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled dats hog.

Since 4.28 my 4 month old computer is gobbling up data.  I just got off the phone with HP and they said that my internet provider should be able to provide me wih a report that tells me what is using data. I have talked to customer service, asked for help in the community.  installed glasswire (which I cannot figure out how to understand it.  my computer is useless and I need help please, please please.  I will gladly pay someone if they can help.  I,m old and not computer smart.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Have you as an aid to tracking usage dropped down to a single directly connected computer, running Glasswire ?

Where are you running into difficulties with Glasswire ?

Can you post a screenshot of one of the tough spots ?
farmerhugh
Junior

i cant seem to paste my screenshots
Liz

Hi farmerhugh,

Once you have your screenshots saved to the computer, here's how to post them here in the community:

1. Proceed as if you were replying to the thread so you can see the expanded view of the reply window.

2. Click the camera button.

3.The reply window will expand further. You can drag the picture directly onto this extended area, or click the link to navigate to where the screenshot is saved and select it to post.

4. Once the picture has been dragged in or selected, it will appear in your reply. Don't forget to click the Comment or Reply button to post.
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

You don't "paste" them, you upload them like this:

After taking the screenshot you save the snip as a  ... file or object if you prefer to a spot on you computer that is easily accessible such as your desktop. The usual "file type" for a screenshot is a PNG type of file.

When saving that file to your desktop you should give it name that is somewhat descriptive .......

After having save the object you need to upload to the community by first clicking the "camera" icon: 

Then specify the file you wish to upload:

Select the file:

For a more comprehensive how-to see here:

http://www.ricksyakshack.com/view_topic.php?id=9238&forum_id=73

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Oooops, Liz beat me to it ! 🙂

Liz

No worries, thanks for posting instructions too! If I wasn't clear enough, hopefully yours will help.

-Liz

farmerhugh
Junior

im tying to figure out snip.  keep sending ideas.  thanks
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Trouble taking the snip ? 

Saving the snip ?

Posting the snip ?

farmerhugh
Junior

farmerhugh
Junior

can you interpert for me  what is running that i need to get rid of or are these usages normal.  thanks
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Farmerhugh,

Lets return to making our posts at the current "end" of the topic so as not to have an expanding conversation going on in the middle of a topic.

You have your display set for a "month" and the traffic type set at "all" which make for some pretty big numbers.

Overall you have used a total of 8.7 GB

It is divided in to:

Download: 7.4 GB

Upload: 1.3 GB

One thing that strikes me it the ratio of upload to download.  Usually upload is around (yes I know that habits vary) 6-10 % and yours is nearly double that.

Something is doing a lot of "talking" and we need to find out who that is.

Your two biggest "users" are:

Firefox @ 4.9 GB total with the most of it being "download"

And a "Microsoft" something or other (kind of hard to tell as it is truncated because of the "ALL" traffic setting. It used 2.5 GB and appears to be nearly all download.

I suspect at this point it is a Windows related update.

As a point of comparison here is mine for the same period: (same settings)

Notice that my upload/download ratio is about 9%

Lets change some "view" settings:

(click on picture for larger image)

Lets look at the activity of the "Big Users" in a week by week period.

Example:

farmerhugh
Junior

i hope this is what you needed.  its a;; greek to me.  thanks foryour help