glasswire

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farmerhugh
Junior

glasswire

i am trying to use glasswire to narrow down whats suddenly gobbling up my data.  Could someone be kind enough to tell me what im supposed to be looking for.  im really confused as to how to use it.  thanks
43 REPLIES 43
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I know why I don't use McAfee. What a data hog.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

In the above, are you on the "all apps" (highlighted) or the Microsoft (also highlighted) ?

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I know why I don't use McAfee. What a data hog

I agree, haven't used their products in years ... problem is that nearly everything is so bloated these days that most are data hogs.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Not Comodo, other than initial install like all of them. Also no idea who 46.4.94.109 is. Is it McAfee?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

. Also no idea who 46.4.94.109 is. Is it McAfee

Looking at some of those addresses myself.

So far things seem to go Germany and the Netherlands ...... hmmmm

Plus there are 5300 other connections accounting for 1.6 GB

Farmerhugh:

I am going to suggest that you install Malwarebytes from:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Download and install the free version.

Update it database

Run a manual scan.

EDIT

just seem malwarebytes in your list.

can you do a update an d scan  ?

farmerhugh
Junior

i sure will...  this laptop is only 4 months old.  if you think it would get rid of all this junk i can just reset it.  to the way it was when i bought it.
farmerhugh
Junior

no threats detected
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

farmerhugh,

I would like to see one over a shorter time period:

do one with the settings as highlighted:

"Usage" tab

"Apps" tab

"all apps"

"week" time period.

farmerhugh
Junior

farmerhugh
Junior

i am really concerned as to whether or not this was caused by mcaffee  and i know i downloaded their "new" improved nonsence on 4/28 when all this started, sure wish i would have had glasswire then.  it does seem better since my data reloaded.again thank you for your help and have a good weekend.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

farmerhugh.

You are still on the "Month" time period ...... we need to have you select the "week" time period as shown in the highlighted area at the upper right:
farmerhugh
Junior

farmerhugh
Junior

farmerhugh
Junior

hope this helps
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

farmerhugh, could you post a snapshot of the usage history with the week setting instead of 60 days?  It would help to correspond with the week snapshot of Glasswire.  Thanks. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Farmerhugh ..

It late and I'm on an old WinXP machine but .....

Your biggest users are .. browsers ..

Firefox at 2.4 GB in the period and Chrome at 2.2 GB in the period.

We need to focus on your browser settings
                                          browser habits
                                          browser extensions.

I have a very work heavy schedule for the next few days that will impact my ability to post anything "detailed" but ......

In Firefox do you have any "AdBlock" extensions installed ? you should
               do you have any "Script-blocking" extensions installed ? you should
               do you leave browsers open or browser "tabs open while you do other things ?

When you download something  using "firefox" do you select the "destination" of the download or do you do it "within" Firefox ?

Most of the data drain is "browser drain" ... we need to work on that.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Using the "sliders", narrow me down a Glasswire "APPS" view of this time period:

I want to see what used what in that time period.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Farmerhugh,

This is a repost of a reply to another user but lets see if this explanation and steps make more sense to you:

there are PROGRAMS .... those you can see and there are PROCESSES ... those you are not going to "see" running but you will see their effect on your allowance.

They do not run all the time, they come and go.

That is what GlassWire is for ... to see what program ran and how much data it used AND what unseen background process ran and how much data they used.

So, what does GlassWire show for that defined period ?

I am going to post a screenshot of my GlassWire output for a period I will define.

So, by the numbers ......

(CLICK ON THE PICTURE FOR A LARGER IMAGE)

Follow these steps:

#1: SELECT THE "USAGE" TAB

#2: SELECT THE "APPS" BUTTON

#3: SELECT THE "WEEK" BUTTON

#4: MOVE THE "SLIDERS" TO DEFINE THE DESIRED PERIOD WITHIN THE WEEK

NOTE: The time and dates are in the "banner" near the top/center

#5: THE TOTAL OF ALL DATA USED DURING THE DEFINED PERIOD IS DISPLAYED INCLUDING UPLOAD AND DOWNLOAD

#6: A LIST OF ALL THE PROGRAMS AND ALL THE PROCESSES THAT USED DATA DURING THE DEFINED PERIOD.

The amount of data used is listed right after the program/process name

The biggest users are at the top.

In my example the top user for that period was Internet Explorer (browser) @78.1 MB used

followed by Thunderbird (email client program) @ 14.8 MB

Both of those are "programs" ... I can "see" them open on my desktop .. I know they are running, I just don't know how much data they used until I call up a report from GlassWire.

The next user in my list is Avast Service .... this is associated with my anti-virus program and this is a "background" process that ran (in addition the anti-virus program itself) and I would not have been aware of the data used by this process without looking GlassWire but known or unknown, it still hit my data allowance for 10.7 MB.

farmerhugh
Junior

farmerhugh
Junior

working on your suggestions--is this the program i need for firefox its what came up when i keyed in adblock.  appreciate all your help.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Yes.  Adblock Plus.  Great app.  Will save you some bandwidth by blocking those pesky ads from playing/displaying.