Hughesnet Community

having problems with my speed,

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
damgoodjosh

having problems with my speed,

having problems with my speed, cant perform a speed test because windows 10 and google dont support java apparently, not like it would tell the truth ...my computer can tell me the signal coming in from the modem every sec and it fluxes from 0kb to 450kb per sec which explains why it takes 2hrs to stream a 25min show.. if it doesnt lose the signal long enough to make me have to download it all over ... any suggestions... or reasons why
30 REPLIES 30
damgoodjosh

I also forgot it does not matter what time it is
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Use testmy.net it is only third party test Hughes accepts: http://testmy.net/download

Run manual 12 MB test and best to open an account so can post results like this: http://testmy.net/quickstats/sgoshe

Also connect directly to the modem, no router, if having problems. And are you over your allowance? Boxes green at top of page here: http://192.168.0.1/  ?
Chris11
Alum

Hi damgoodjosh,

Thanks for posting. Please follow BirdDog's suggestion for running speed tests. Just to clarify when running tests on this particular site. 12 MB manual test is for downloads. Use 2 - 3 MB for upload tests. Looking at your diagnostics I currently see that there is no communication at your site with the satellite. Have you unplugged the modem or any other equipment? Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
damgoodjosh

storm knocked out power on Monday... but I am not out of time and i am connected directly to the modem and its not my crap. like i said my computers admin tool will tell what kind of signal i am getting from your modem every sec. its not a speed test from any sec or third party site. .. i shouldn't have to sign up for yet another site that will lie to me...this has been an on going problem since we started service... it is either your sat. or your modem box... if i bring my computer to someone else that is not a hughes net customer it downloads or streams videos just fine..
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The speed tests requested need to be done to verify the speeds and help to determine the problem. 

Chris11
Alum

Hello damgoodjosh,

Understand your frustration. However to better assist you we do need the speed tests done. Either using our own which can be found once logged into the support center here:

www.my.hughesnet.com

Or you can also run tests at www.testmy.net using the directions I laid out above. There is a lot we can do here to help, whether that is replacing equipment, sending out a tech, or having our engineers work directly on your site remotely. Without data and proof depicted, we'll just be taking shots in the dark. We need correct direction so we can resolve this as soon as possible and facilitate your satisfaction. So please if you don't mind running some for us. Your diagnostics by the way look good. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
damgoodjosh

alright just did test on the testmy.net , 1st how do I post it on this page for you to see, it is the upload speeds not download,Wed Aug 31 2016 @ 2:54:04 pmDallas TX US arrow1.3 MB748 Kbps 94 kB/s66182967795Hughes Network historyMGr8fyQvishare history Wed Aug 31 2016 @ 2:48:03 pmDallas TX US arrow1.3 MB711 Kbps 89 kB/s66182967795Hughes Network historyYRgx4zrJZshare history Wed Aug 31 2016 @ 2:37:32 pmDallas TX US arrow1.5 MB730 Kbps 91 kB/s66182967795Hughes Network historyNobTZiqKFshare history Wed Aug 31 2016 @ 12:14:59 pmDallas TX US arrow1.2 MB687 Kbps 86 kB/s66182967795Hughes Network historyu8w5nqQPoshare history... ... so I guess when I want to watch a show it uploads it, not downloads , so as you can see very slow speeds what do u need me to do next
damgoodjosh

this month has been really bad also, losing sat. connection a lot for no reason, ive actually get better signals while its raining out, but when sunny and clear with no clouds in the sky I lose or get crappy signal...
GabeU

Like this.  This allows all of your tests to be looked at.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/damgoodjosh

GabeU

To add, your speeds look fantastic. 

Also, for future reference, if you find that when using the requested manual test size of 12MB for download tests it resizes to a larger size on a regular basis, you can use the manual 15MB size instead.  The manual 15MB size will not resize.  If the 12MB size doesn't last for seven seconds, it resizes to something larger and wastes data, and it looks like this happened on both of your download tests. 

So, when performing a download test, use the manual 15MB test size, and when performing an upload test, use the manual 2MB test size. 

But again, regarding the tests you've run thus far, your speeds look very good. 

And no, when you stream a show or movie, you are downloading data, not uploading

damgoodjosh

yeah even the sun shines on a dogs ass once in a while,, 90% of the time- crap signal, I get booted off of sites because of the constant dropped signal, and its not because its prime hours either... can be midnight, 2am, 5 am, ... I think its a little weird when I complain about a crap signal it starts working for a few weeks then slowly goes back to crap... then why am I having such a problem downloading stuff then.. when I bring my computer to someone else that does not use hughes net everything works fine... I am getting very irritated with saying its my computer not the provider...I am not making up that it takes hours to download 30 min shows, its not all the time but most of the time, I understand when its super cloudy out but experience more problems when it is sunny and clear.. so what do you think the problem is gabeu... sorry if this comes off rude but sick of it seriously
GabeU

josh,

I understand your frustration.  With that said, I'm sure that the reps are going to need a few more tests, and mostly download tests, at that.  Again, if the 12MB size tests are resizing on you, go ahead and use the 15MB size test.  If you can, try to run a few at various times of the day.  Usually what they request is a block of at least three tests, with each test spaced at least five minutes apart, and running a block at various times of the day, preferably in the morning, afternoon and evening.  Again, though, that's not possible with everybody.  People have to work, of course.   

Hopefully the reps will address this for you.  I'm sure they will.  But, in the meantime, if you can, try to get a few more tests in.     

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Don't forget weather at your Gateway can also impact service. Has been a very stormy month at many of the locations.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

damgoodjosh,

Rude ?

"crap signal" and "dropped signal" convey .... nothing concrete that can be worked with.

A series of speed tests from testmy.net (3 to 5 tests, at least 5 minutes apart and done from a computer directly connected to the modem) will establish your systems baseline, no outside influence, performance level ... with hard numbers that actually can be used to compare your terminals performance to others in your Beam, your Gateway and the servers within your Gateway.

If there is an issue it can then be escalated to Engineering for further evaluation and correction. "crap-signal" conveys absolutely nothing.

"Dropped signal" Please define that for us ?

To us a dropped signal is a signal strength that has fallen below "cut-off" and the terminal is no longer in communication with the Gateway.

System status can be found simply by opening your modems SCC at 192.168.0.1

A glance at the icons marked as 1&2 will give a fast report .. both green = good.

Signal "quality" can be seen in detail by clicking on the #1 icons "system status link:

The highlighted signal strength number will give much more information than "dropped signal", if that is indeed the case and indeed what you had intended to convey.

You really need to brush up on your communication skills starting with nocking off the profanity on a public forum.

It would also be helpful if you were too actually respond to some of the replies made to you in the past including those of the Hughes Reps.

Do you know how to post a screenshot ?

damgoodjosh

how about when the computer says no internet signal and the sat. connection light is off I call that a dropped signal,
damgoodjosh

and I am connected directly to the modem
GabeU

josh,

Someone else may want to chime in here on this idea, but for now, if you can turn things off so they won't use data without you knowing it, it might be a good idea to leave the modem plugged in so it can log those lost connections.  When the modem is unplugged, it wipes the logs, but if left plugged in, the logs would be saved and the reps could look at them remotely, I think.  I could be wrong about them being able to look at them remotely, but they still might help.  Just an idea. 

Like I said, maybe one of the Champions or others can chime in on this idea. 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I think that the mods need to run remote diagnostics on your system to see if there are issues with your equipment of if the outage periods coincide with known Gateway issues.

What is this "connection light" you speak of ?

is this one of the five LED's on the front of the modem OR a non-Hughes "utility" running in your computers systray OR one of the SCC icons ?

From your description this could be something as simple as NIC adopter downing a power-off due to configuration settings.

damgoodjosh

i will run more speed test when i have slow speeds again.. thanks gabeu
damgoodjosh

yes on the hughes net modem box