how to firmware update?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uh
Sophomore

how to firmware update?

How do I update my HT2000W firmware? Current version is 0.09.22. I'm hoping this might repair my wifi connection problem I'm having with Linux Mint 18.2 OS.

16 REPLIES 16
MarkJFine
Professor

Hmmm. If you do a hard reboot (remove power plug from wall for a minute -not the DIN plug at the vack of the device) it should update itself to .35. If not, the admins may have to force an update remotely.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
uh
Sophomore

Did that. Still old version. How do I contact admin?

@uh wrote:

Did that. Still old version. How do I contact admin?

They should see it here, now.

@Liz

@Amanda

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
uh
Sophomore

Sent email request for support. We'll see if anything ever happens I guess.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The HT2000w will update the firmware on its own...  The following is the latest code.

Application Software: WIFI_3.4.3.35
Wifi Software: 0.09.22
Fallback Software: Depends on manufacture date of modem.
Boot Code Version: 1.1.4.7

You are on the latest software already.

D’oh... @C0RR0SIVE’s right. 9.22 is current *Wifi* version. I was thinking of the *Modem* version.
I sit corrected.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@uh

What's the WiFi connection problem you are having.  No connection?  Intermittent connection?  Limited range?   Speed lower than when connected via LAN? 

Gremlins? J/K 😛 

Thanks for the firmware info. But that pretty much dashes another of my ideas though.

I'm trying to figure out why my wifi on an older computer connects from my living room. But with my new computer the wifi will only connect if within a few feet of the router. They are both Hewlett Packard laptops. Windows 7 got corrupted on the old computer so I put Linux Mint OS on it. Connects to the router fine. But the new computer won't connect from any distance away from the HT2000W router.After 5 feet away the signal sharply degrades. Till I get only 1 bar signal strength maybe 25 feet away. That is not strong enough to connect to the internet.

I thought possibly the firmware was out of date. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

One computer that works and one that doesn't... sounds to me like the one that doesn't has a bad wifi module.

uh
Sophomore

Ethernet is about twice as fast as using wifi on my computers. I expected speeds to bettter using ethernet rather than wifi anyway. But whoa.

uh
Sophomore

Windows 10 does connect stongly from that compurt but Linux will only connect when close. So in that Windows 10 goes connect fine it doesn't seem like a bad wifi card to me.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

So many variables with WiFi including drivers. Hard telling if the Linux drivers are tweaked as well as the Windows. You are talking the same computer at the same distance, correct?

Are you using a direct Linux OS or running a Linux VM?

I've lost track which one is close, which one isn't and which is running what.

My head's spinning so I'm just going to leave it alone.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

You might want to try different network drivers if they are available.  It's also possible that the network settings were altered by the network driver in Linux compared to the driver used in Windows.  And odd thing.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Would you be able to tell us if both your computers are connecting on the 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz? The default SSID's reflect the band. 5Ghz has a shorter range than 2.4Ghz, so it is very possible one of the computers (most likely the older one) is connecting on 2.4Ghz and the newer one is trying to get on 5Ghz.

It would be beneficial to check on any channel interference, or simply try changing the channel settings (this depends on what you find out about the bands). If you have an Android phone/tablet, you can download the Netgear Wi-Fi Analyzer to find an optimal channel.

Thanks

Amanda