how to use my tokens

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tommychase
Freshman

how to use my tokens

i bought 2gb because i am down to 9% on the status meter. when i click on the meter, it shows i have them available but not sure how to apply them. do they automatically go on your meter when you run out of time or do i have to apply them somehow? should i apply them before i run out of time or dose that matter? this is the first time for me as i have only had hughesnet for a short time.
16 REPLIES 16
Liz

Hi Tommy,

Welcome and thanks for posting. Here are steps for using your tokens, since they are not automatically applied:

How to Use Tokens inYour Support Center 1.      Visit your Support Center here: http://supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

2.      Click the “Sign In” tab to visit your sign inscreen.

3.      Enter your HughesNet user ID and password, thenclick the “Sign In” button to sign in.

4.      Click “Token Management”.

5.      If you don’t have tokens available for use,click “Purchase” next to the token bandwidth amount you need.

6.      Click “Use” to use an available token.

Hope that helps! You don't run out of "time" per se, but rather your Anytime Bytes or Bonus Bytes. If you're close to running out and you're planning on watching a movie or downloading a large update, I would use the appropriate amount of tokens to get me through or risk buffering or an interrupted download.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

tommychase
Freshman

Thank you Liz! 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Tommy,

In addition to what Liz said, when you "use" a token, it puts it into your token "bucket".   The token data stays in the bucket indefinitely, and is only actually used once you run out of your Anytime or Bonus Bytes data, and when that happens it starts using it automatically.  So, in effect, you can bank tokens for a later time, or a rainy day, so to speak. 

You'll notice on mine below that I have 20GB of "Token Bytes Available".  That's the bucket.  Those 20GB will sit there indefinitely, never being used until I run out of either the Anytime or Bonus data, then will start being used automatically.  So, if you buy tokens and bank them in the bucket by clicking "use", they won't actually be used until they are needed.  

You don't have to click "use" now, and can wait until you know you are going to be running out to do so, but either way, the token data won't be used by your system until you are actually out of your normal data.  But, until you do click "use", the token data won't show in the "Token Bytes Available". 

Hope this helps.   

tommychase
Freshman

ok so i went to support center, then to token management, but says 0 tokens available to use even though i purchased 2 this morning. when i click on the status meter that shows on my computer, it says i have 2 available but i am unable to use them from there. not sure what to do now. please advise. thanks
GabeU

And the 2GB aren't showing up in the "Token Bytes Available" on the status meter, like where mine says 20GB? 

Also, did you receive a receipt in your email when you purchased the tokens? 

tommychase
Freshman

i checked e-mail and see no reciept for purchase or any thing from hughesnet. maybe because we are using credit card to pay?  yes on my computer in the low right hand corner status meter, i click on it, it says i have 2 but when i go into the support center to token management, to actually use them it says i have 0 available. Liz said to go there to use them. she also said (in the post above} that they are not automatically applied. the post above #6 where it says buy tokens is what i am talking about. i should have 2 available to use but its showing 0.
GabeU

Okay.  But, again, on the Status Meter, where it says "Token Bytes Available" (where mine says 20GB) is anything there?  I just want to make sure they haven't already actually been added to the bucket and the system just hasn't caught up. 

tommychase
Freshman

yes, i see that now and it dose say 2000 MG, but it still shows 0 available when i click on token management to actually use them. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Because they are in your available bucket, they will automatically be used when you run out of regular data allowance.
GabeU

Okay.  If it's showing 2000MB where it says "Token Bytes Available", they are already in the bucket and ready to be used, which would be why there would be a 0 where it says "use" where you sign in.  With them being in the bucket, when you run out of your normal data, it will automatically change to using your token data.  You are good to go. 

As for the receipts....do you have another mail set up that they may have gone to?  A Hughesnet mail maybe?  I'm not sure about that one.  If they were charged to your credit card, you should have gotten a receipt in the mail, I believe.  Maybe the reps can help with this part when they are back on Monday.

Perhaps just the purchase of them automatically puts them in the bucket. I don't know for sure.  I've never purchased any tokens, myself.  I thought you had to click "use", too, but then again, I've had some odd things happen with the token system. 

tommychase
Freshman

sorry for sounding so dumb but i actually do not know since this is new (and a little confusing) to me.  i will just not worry about it and see what happens when i run out of time. i thought you could add them to the meter anytime after you bought them. guess you have to wait for them to be applied when needed. thanks.
tommychase
Freshman

thanks for your help. so far i am not liking hughesnet so much, but this community  and the helpful people in here are awesome!  not sure about the e-mail either. will try to figure that one out. 
GabeU

Tommy,

No question or request for help is dumb.  We all started with computers, and subsequently Hughesnet, at some point, and had zero knowledge when we started.  When I started I didn't even know how to turn a computer on.  It took me phone calls to my wife's brother just to learn how to save a downloaded file.  As time passes you'll gain more knowledge and you'll be able to help someone, too.

Again, no question is dumb.  The only dumb thing would be to not ask it. 

We are happy to help. 

What is it about the service that you aren't liking so much?  Is it something that we might be able to help with?  Perhaps some ways to save on data usage?     

But, with reference to their use, yes, they are only used when actually needed.  You can't use the token bytes instead of your normal data.  Token bytes are a safety net, if you will.  It's great to have them, and hopefully you won't need them. 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Tommy,
It is confusing.
Normally you think of Hughes as have two "data buckets" to draw from:

Anytime Bytes (8am to 2am local)
and
Bonus Bytes (2am to 8am local)

There is however a third "data bucket" and that is the "Available Token Bytes" data bucket.

If you think about it a minute it makes sense.
A user spends money for some Token Data to get by for a little, if the value of the token was "dumped" into your regular Anytime Bytes and you did not use it all before your plan refilled Hughes would have "stolen" your extra cost data when your monthly refill happens.
Bty them have created a THIRD category (Token Bytes) to draw from when needed that Token data will remain if you refill. Its like a "reserve tank".

Maybe this will help explain it. This a view of the modem's SCC (internal to the modem)  found at 192.168.0.1

Click on the picture for a larger image:

maratsade

Do we get free tokens regularly? If so, when are they  added to the account?
maratsade

Found the answer to my question after some searching: "General rule of thumb is.. if you had Gen3 and had tokens, when you go to Gen4 they will transfer.. but you will no longer get a free one every month."