cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hughesnet lies

hughesnet lies

They tell you you can stream videos and things but they dont tell you its only good about a day or 2 t ops depending how much you actually watch on netflix. Oh and they are nice enough to give you 50 bonus bites that you will never use unless your an insomniac. They have outrageous prices for internet you can only use 2-4 days a month woohoo. The rest of the time you get to do nothing so if you use netflix or hulu for television because you cant afford television explain to your kids you only will have tv about 2 days so watch wisely.
34 REPLIES 34
Assistant Professor

Re: hughesnet lies

Christa, please see my comment here: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/slow-speed-bad-alignment-new-customer?topic-reply...

How big of a plan do you have? Even with just 10GB Anytime Bytes you should be able to watch about 25-30 hours a month if you limit other internet usage. I would recommend a 20GB Anytime plan though if you want to stream Netflix.

Just noticed you have kids. That could be a big problem no matter your data limit.

Do you know about over the air (OTA) broadcast TV? It is pretty good now that they switched to digital. I don't have satellite TV either, I get OTA with an amplified antenna about 20 feet up attached to the side of the house.
I Get 14 channels and 4-5 are very kid friendly plus it is all free. The transmitters are 80 miles from where I live but the DB8 antenna with an outside amplifier at the antenna pulls in the signals great.

Hi Christa,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! We want to address your concerns, so please post a case number or the serial number located on the bottom of your modem so we can pull up your account.

When using Netflix, you can adjust how much data you use by changing your playback settings, here's how: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, so download that if you haven’t already:
supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

To help you monitor your data usage and other performance metrics, we’ve gathered resources for you here, which also includes community
recommendations: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/track_your_usage_performance_speeds_and_view_tips...

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook
or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

If you have 10g you WILL NOT be able to watch 25 to 30 hours!!!! you Might get around 2 or 3 hours, I had 15g and barely made it to the end of the month and Never watched any video, or netflix, I just purchased the 50g package and only expect to be able to get a couple of hours of watchable tv, I didn't buy a 60" HDTV to set my resolution at 240p, I want to enjoy the big screen experience. in order to be able to stream netflix and other sources you need unlimited, something like fios, comcast and the like, unfortunately, for some of us, this isn't an option, YET, but when it is..........I'll be off like a prom dress.
Highlighted

agree
Associate Professor
Assistant Professor

Or over-the-air (OTA) broadcast TV. It is even better HD than most cable and satellite television as there is no compression at all used.
If you insist on HD over HughesNet then you will use up to 6GB/hour of you data. Just a fact, won't change and really doesn't accomplish anything to complain about it.

I get ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, Fox5, This, Me, AntennaTV and other local channels.
New Poster

Ive been using an antenna for OTA broadcasting for many years and I get 41 channels and over half are HD, no way I would try it over hughesnet when its free over the air

You are highly delusional if you think you can stream 25-30 hours on 10GB! Hughes Net does lie, outright and by ommision!  I was NEVER told when I talked to them on the phone before signing up that I was limited to 10GB per month...all the guy talked about was the upload and download speeds.  If you go to their website, that is also all you see.  I CANNOT WAIT to end my agreement and cancel with these crooks and move my business to Exede

I don't use Hughesnet to stream video, Charles Scott,  sgoshe   Charles McCool
Unfortunately, I cannot get "over the air" TV  (too close to Canada) The only option, is satellite, which I have, my point with my original comment, was that sgoshe stated that you should be able to watch 25 to 30 hrs a month with 10gb, I stated that was impossible, the reason someone would want to stream netflix, hulu and Amazon, is to use its on demand features, which are also available on Direct TV, but that uses too much bandwidth to be an option with me, I am hoping that the new 50gb package will allow me to use the on demand service occasionally.we will see.