Hughesnet Community

i just wabt my Service Cancelled. I was Lied Too!!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Crystal Diane B

i just wabt my Service Cancelled. I was Lied Too!!!!

when I originally transferred to Hughes. I was specific about what I was looking for. I told the sales person I was looking for internet so I could cancel my cable and just use internet on my smart tv, and watch Netflix and other shows. The lady promised it would be accomadating, and so I TRUSTED her! With in a week I had to get a new modem, they said my modem was defective and eating up my data, so I waited a week for my modem. Then 3 days later, Im having to call customer service AGAIN. Then they inform me Netflix eats up to much date and I cant watch shows. I try and explain to them that's the only reason I needed their internet. I only have my smart Tv connected to the Ethernet. I do not even have a router for wifi!! Soooo long\g story short EVERYDAY I have to buy tokens to watch one show and then nothing. Im so mad, for being lied to lied to, I try to cancel and they tell me they are going to make me pay 400.00!!! But why when I have kept my end of the barging and they haven't! Im thinking of just getting a lawyer for the principal of the whole matter. Thankfully, I have been logging everything since this whole mess started!
19 REPLIES 19
Amanda

Hello Crystal,

Welcome to our community and thank you for reaching out to us. We hear your concerns and want to make things right with you. The first thing we need to do is locate your account - do you have a recent case number or perhaps the serial number on your modem? This will allow us to find you and pinpoint the sales center and agent you talked to. If the call was made fairly recently, which it seems like it was, we can review the call and see what exactly was said to determine a resolution. I am looking forward to your reply.

Thank you,
Amanda
Crystal Diane B

54695475 is the case number

Crystal Diane B

The guy just told me he would give me 50 more GB between the hrs of 2am and 7 am.!! Im not awake at those hours. I told him I wanted to cancel he says I have to physically get in the roof and take down the dish or they can do it for an additional 99.00. This is ridiculous!!! Please help me!!!
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Not sure how he could possibly give you 50GB more between those hours seeing as no plan has more than 50GB maximum for those hours...

That aside, if you do cancel, you will have to retrieve the transmitter on the roof, and the modem, and return both to Hughesnet.
Amanda

Hello Crystal,

Thank you for your patience. I was able to locate and listen your sales call. I can confirm that the sales agent did inform you since you said you would be using Netflix, you would need to use the Standard definition setting to reduce bandwidth usage. The sales agent does explain the $59.99 plan you chose, Prime Plus with the download and upload speeds as well as the Anytime data and Bonus Byte split with the 2-8AM time on that in a very clear voice. Additionally, she also stated the amount of the month lease fee. 

The agent then read, clearly and at a normal pace at the end of the call "Your data allowance includes Anytime Bytes and Bonus Bytes. Your Bonus Bytes portion is only available between the hours of 2-8AM daily. HughesNet does not work with real-time online gaming, if you do plan to stream movies it is best to use the standard definition setting. If you cancel before installation your credit card will be refunded within 7 business days. The service term is 24 months. If you do cancel your service prior to the expiration of th e 24 month commitment period, you will be subject to a termination fee of up to $400. Now in addition, after the service is cancelled, even after the 24 month term, you must return the modem, powercord and radio within 45 days of cancellation date to avoid an unreturned equipment fee of $300. Your usage is subject to the fair access policy, speeds and uninterrupted use are not guaranteed and you can read HughesNet policies any time at legal.hughesnet.com "

She also let you know that your order information would be available in an e-mail. I understand that our agents offered you the Ultra plan plus a large discount, which overs 50 Anytime Bytes and 50 Bonus Bytes. Would this not be something that would work for you? 

Thanks
Amanda
Crystal Diane B

The sales person told me this would be accomadating for me. It isnt. I have had my modem replaced and upgraded my package.. And yet still nothing helps. My bill turns over on the 25th... Today is the 27th and I am already out of data. How is this ok? Or accomadating? I cant afford to buy tokens until the end of the month. I have to discuss this with my husband... But I rather pay 400. To disconnect than pay over a 100.oo a month to use the internet for two days. The worst part is Hughes net knows that their customers are NOT happy but could care less. They have been report to the BBB more times then I even imagained... I have plenty of time to think about this ssine I dont have internet.. Again!!! I
Crystal Diane B

Oh and its been on standard definition since day1
James E Besser

why did you dump cable
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Crystal,

With your plan being the $59.99 one, I'm assuming is the 10GB/50GB plan.  Standard definition Netflix uses around 700MB per hour, meaning that on a 10GB plan, you have around 14 hours of viewing.  That's it, then you're out of data.  I'm not surprised that your data is out after a couple of days.  You simply cannot rely on Hughesnet for your main TV viewing.  It's not going to work, as you are finding out.  You still have your Bonus Bytes, I'm sure, but that's only from 2-8am. 

The bottom line is your are simply going to have to adjust your usage.  That's all there is to it.  Even with a higher plan, you are still going to be limited to approximately 7 hours in SD for every 5GB of data.  Low definition uses a little less than half the data of SD, but you still have a finite amount of data per month and you will still run out with regular use.   

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Amanda has offered you the 50/50 Ultra Plan, if that isn't enough data for you then satellite internet will not work for you. 

At low definition of 300 MB per hour 50 GB will provide over 150 hours of streaming per month.
GabeU

If I wanted to watch a bunch of on demand programs I'd take that deal, no doubt. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Five hours of streaming per day is a lot of viewing. She does mention "other shows" besides Netflix. I'd bet those shows are being streamed in something other than low or standard definition.

Smart TVs will also eat data in the background updating the apps and firmware.
GabeU

No doubt.  I know some offer definition adjustments, but others don't.  Even if she takes the offer to upgrade to the  50GB plan, she'll still have to be careful and watch her data. 

I think that even if I had unlimited FIOS or something I wouldn't watch a lot of on demand programming.  I find it hard enough to find the time to watch what's on now.  LOL.  Maybe an occasional movie, but I could do that now.  I received some tokens for something and it's enough to watch a few high def movies, but again, I have enough to watch for now.     

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Bottom line, satellite internet can not replace cable or satellite TV as sole source for movie and TV viewing.
mrbillbus

Newby here wondering how to lower the resolution setting on Netflix and other services.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill
GabeU

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

You can go there to find out how. 

That's just for Netflix.  Other services have their own ways, but you normally have to do it at the provider's end, not at yours.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Can take 8 hours for the change to take effect with Netflix. Be careful with Amazon Prime, they don't have a way to set it, much is sent in HD.
Crystal Diane B

I switched to hughes because I only wanted ethernet so I could watch netflix and hulu.. I explained this specifically to the salesperson
Crystal Diane B

Amanda how much is this going to cost more me.