iCloud access is spotty

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

iCloud access is spotty

Thought I'd start a topic about this, because iCloud access (icloud.com) continues to be spotty for me. 

At 7 am today, it spun for a while, but finally loaded after a few minutes.

At 3:10 pm, it gave me a server error twice, then loaded on the third try, after about 3 minutes. 

16 REPLIES 16
Liz

Hi maratsade,

Thanks for the news, I've let our engineers know. Once I have any other updates to share with you I'll let you know.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

spoty here too.  It was out completely a week or so ago, but came back up....but since then it goes in and out....and many mail attachments do not download when that happens and I have to ask the sender to resend the email

maratsade

It's still spotty here too -- I notice though that it's much better at times of less congestion/traffic.  Once people begin to climb onto the Internet, iCloud gets pouty and doesn't really want to load. 

I have the issue with icloud, too. Can I get notified when your engineers think they have solved this problem?

maratsade

They will let us all know, probably as a reply on this thread. 

Peneloukle wrote:

I have the issue with icloud, too. Can I get notified when your engineers think they have solved this problem?

maratsade

Update, 4/18/2020:  iCloud is not cooperating today.  The page just spins and spins and never loads. 

maratsade

Just to clarify, I have spotty to no access to  https://www.icloud.com/

iMessage images has been working fine for me for several days. 

I still have the issue with iCloud mail. Has any solution been provided?

maratsade

I have issues with it at times of high traffic/congestion.  Apple products don't play nicely with HN; they seem to be very sensitive to congestion/traffic.  There may not be a solution other than using iCloud during times that aren't as congested (works fine for me in the morning, for example, so I use it the most then. 

Peneloukle wrote:

I still have the issue with iCloud mail. Has any solution been provided?

OK. I have problems with Apple Mail and iCloud Mail on my Power Book. Mail works better on my Apple mobile devices. Thanks for the update!

Hi Peneloukle,

Thanks for chiming in, is your account number the one ending in 855?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Liz,

Yes our account number is the one ending in 855

I’m having the same problem: iCloud products are not working, or only just barely, when connected to the internet via HughesNet.

On my MacBook, in my Mail app I have two accounts: iCloud (me.com actually) and EarthLink. ICloud is my primary email, has been for years. EarthLink is a legacy service for me that I rarely use but haven’t cancelled. EarthLink mail works just fine - sends and receives. ICloud mail, on the other hand, will take hours to download emails. Then often just the header but not the body. The Mail app constantly displays an Account Error for iCloud (not EarthLink): “Mail was unable to connect to server ‘p42-imap.mail.me.com’ using SSL on the default ports. Verify that this server supports SSL and that your account settings are correct.” My settings are definitely correct.

I’ve used Connection Doctor in the Mail app. Both iCloud and EarthLink use SMTP for outbound mail, and Connection Doctor shows both are working. EarthLink uses POP for inbound email, and that is working. But iCloud uses IMAP for inbound email, and that is not working. Connection Doctor says for iCloud IMAP: “Could not connect to this IMAP server. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in Account preferences. Also verify that the server supports SSL. If it does not, deselect the ‘Use TLS/SSL’ checkbox in the Server Settings tab of Account preferences.”

When I try to execute that last bit of advice, I find that there are no checkboxes - or any options at all - in the Server Settings tab of Account preferences for iCloud email. Apple doesn’t want you changing anything here apparently.

BTW, my iCloud email works just fine on my iPhone when connected to cellular (AT&T LTE.) When I connect my phone to WiFi (HughesNet) then email doesn’t work, just like on my MacBook.

I cannot connect to www.icloud.com on my MacBook while connected to HughesNet using either Safari or Chrome. I can go there just fine on my iPhone, connected to cellular, of course. Turn on WiFi on my phone, and www.icloud.com is inaccessible. Other websites load fine over HughesNet WiFi on my MacBook and my iPhone.

Just like email, iMessage doesn't work when connected to HughesNet.

My current AT&T cellular plan doesn’t allow hotspots. I may need to change to one that does. But I’m paying HughesNet for internet at home, so I shouldn’t need to change my cellular plan for that. I hope this additional information helps HughesNet troubleshoot this. Thank you.

raj3 - I think you and I are having the same issue. Thanks for the detailed explanation.  I will have to check on whether my ipad and iphone handle mail better on cellular data, rather than Hughes internet.

Hi raj3,

Do you see any improvements with iMessage (or even iCloud) today?

-Liz

Thanks for checking, Liz.  Messages updated, albeit a little slowly, but acceptably.  So that's good.  In Mail, however, the same Account Error I previously described displayed after the app tried to download mail for about 5 minutes, retrieving only one email in that time.  And I still can't go to www.icloud.com using either Safari or Chrome.