iMessage: images fail to upload

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

iMessage: images fail to upload

For the last 10 days, images are not being delivered by iMessage on iPhone and iPad. The upload gets stuck and the image fails to send and an error message is displayed. This only happens on the HN network; does not happen on other networks.

Sometimes when trying to resend the image, it finally goes through after 15 or 20 minutes, but often it gets stuck again.

Other things work just fine: browsing is fine, streaming is fine. Dashboard all green, state code 0.0.0.

I wonder if you all could check this and see if it may need a tweak on your part.  Thanks! 🙂

76 REPLIES 76
maratsade

Update, 3/12/2020:

• Last night at 7:56 pm, I sent 3 gif images over iMessage. They went through, but ever sooooo slooooowly.  
  • This morning, at 7:55 am, I sent a test gif image that went through slowly but it did go through
  • But there was a new wrinkle (dun dun dun!): I couldn't receive images.  Instead of images, I saw a Tap to Download icon for each image, and when tapped, images wouldn't load at all, even though they weren't all that big (there were two images, both between 450 and 500 kb). 
  • After 8:30 am, both images downloaded on their own like nothing had happened. 
  • CenturyLink needs to hose down the Intertubes. They're sticky. 

Good morning maratsade,

That's interesting... thank you for these updates, I'll send these over to the engineers. If anything else happens regarding iMessaging, please let me know.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

A thought that's floating around regarding the iMessage behavior: are you experiencing the slowness during the evening vs early morning/midday? Something to keep in mind moving forward. I do see in an earlier post that you reported an issue even in the morning.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

maratsade

While on the home network, the iMessage issue happens at any time, not just morning vs. evening.   It doesn't happen at all when on other networks.  

Ok, thank you for the clarification! I didn't want engineering to immediately assume this was related to congestion.

-Liz

Hi maratsade!

Got some instructions from engineering for you. If you could please do these so they can observe and do other things on their end:

All times are in Eastern: (Also if they can use the same images) 

7:30 hrs. – Send and Receive 2 Images

11:30 hrs. – Send and Receive 2 Images

16:30 hrs. – Send and Receive 2 Images

20:00 hrs. – Send and Receive 2 Images

-Liz

maratsade

Will do!

Hi maratsade,

Just received additional instructions from the engineers. They'd like you to please try with and without that LQ setting I sent yesterday:

If you have any questions about this, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

Liz

maratsade

Will do ASAP. I may have a potential coronavirus situation at home. 

Oh no! Good luck! Hope everyone is ok.

-Liz

maratsade

Thanks, Liz. I hope so too. 

@Liz wrote:

Oh no! Good luck! Hope everyone is ok.

-Liz

maratsade

Update, 3/13/2020: I haven't run all the tests yet, only 8:30 pm last night (EDIT: I couldn't run the test at 8 pm, sorry), sorry) and 7:30 am this morning.  Last night images went slowly but went, and I could receive them just fine, though slowly, too.

Between 7:30 am and 8:15 am this morning, the situation was as usual: images get stuck, they fail to send, they fail to send for the other party too (so I don't get them), and clearly show there's some kind of issue going on. 

I sent 4 tests this morning. The first 2 at 7:30 worked relatively well, but slowly.  I sent 2 others at, I think 7:33 or 7:35, and those two images took over 15 minutes each load and ended in failure messages. Tried resending them and they took about 20 minutes to go through.

Changing the setting to low quality images doesn't seem to have much of an effect, if it has any at all. 

Edit: BTW, I sent an iMessage containing an image at around 8:15 am, and it went through fairly smoothly.  

Good morning maratsade,

Thank you this is great, I'll send this over to engineering. I'll post back once I have any news, questions, or further instructions.

-Liz

Hi maratsade,

Just got off the phone with an engineer who was investigating your case. I have additional instructions from him:

Please try this in the morning when it will hopefully be less busy.

Send one picture to one number with LQ setting off. 

Note how long it takes before it sends or returns an error message.

Note the picture file size.

Then send same picture to a different number with the LQ setting on.

Please run this on whichever iOS you're normally using while next to the HT2000w. Currently your diagnostics are showing that all your iOS devices have poor signal quality, so let's make sure you have a good signal by getting close to the modem.

If you have any questions, please let me know. Looking forward to hearing back!

Thanks,

Liz

maratsade

Will do!

maratsade

Using the HN app, I checked the wifi strength, and it keeps coming back as excellent.  (and I can stream on the iOS devices with no problem whatsoever, even when iMessage is being stroppy).

LQ off. Image took 2 minutes to send, but it did eventually go through,so no error messages. I can't tell the size of the image; they come from Apple's image library that's included with iMessage, and I can't figure out how to find the size.

LQ on. Image went through in about 25 seconds.

@Liz wrote:

Hi maratsade,

Just got off the phone with an engineer who was investigating your case. I have additional instructions from him:

Please try this in the morning when it will hopefully be less busy.

Send one picture to one number with LQ setting off. 

Then send same picture to a different number with the LQ setting on.

Please run this on whichever iOS you're normally using while next to the HT2000w. Currently your diagnostics are showing that all your iOS devices have poor signal quality, so let's make sure you have a good signal by getting close to the modem.

If you have any questions, please let me know. Looking forward to hearing back!

Thanks,

Liz

Good morning maratsade,

Thanks for this update. You can check a pic's filesize by tapping on it, then tapping the share icon (square with up arrow) in the top right corner. The pic's filename and size will appear at the top.

We just wanted to make sure that toggling the LQ setting indeed makes a significant difference in sending time, which in this latest test, it did. I would keep the LQ setting enabled so that the pics send faster.

-Liz

maratsade

Aha! The size is showing as 1.9MB both times, with and without LQ.

I've kept LQ on since you told me about it. 🙂

Hm I would've expected the filesize to be different, but maybe it's different on the recipient's end. With that setting enabled, it compresses the pic down so it can upload faster.

-Liz

maratsade

I was surprised by that too...not sure what to make of it.  But hey, it's sort of working, and it's not the biggest problem in the world right now (or honestly, it was never that huge a deal), and that's all that matters.  Thank you and the engineer(s) for working on this.  🙂

You're welcome, maratsade!

-Liz