iMessage: images fail to upload

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

iMessage: images fail to upload

For the last 10 days, images are not being delivered by iMessage on iPhone and iPad. The upload gets stuck and the image fails to send and an error message is displayed. This only happens on the HN network; does not happen on other networks.

Sometimes when trying to resend the image, it finally goes through after 15 or 20 minutes, but often it gets stuck again.

Other things work just fine: browsing is fine, streaming is fine. Dashboard all green, state code 0.0.0.

I wonder if you all could check this and see if it may need a tweak on your part.  Thanks! 🙂

76 REPLIES 76
maratsade

Update, 3/24/20: the problem is back, even with LQ on.  Images don't go through (happened between 12:30 am at 2 am) and don't get downloaded (happened at around 8 am). 

No worries, though, this is one of those "put on the back burner for now," but wanted to send the info anyway, and add the problem may be expanding, as texts and emails are getting stuck, arriving hours later, blank (no content).  This is happening with iOS devices on the HN network. They work on other networks. 

Thank you maratsade, I've relayed this info to engineering.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

So I updated to macos 10.15.4 and ios 13.4 yesterday and now I'm seeing this.

1. With or without LQ setting.

2. With or without IPv6 engaged.

Problem seen on iMessages on iPhone as well as on MacBook:

It seems to send, e.g. the transmission bar goes to about 90% but then stops dead and comes back with a failure message.

On recieve you just see a download 'circle' with 0kb of xxMb, and it just stays that way not doing anything.

Very strange behavior and it's just on images, not on texts, but I know these things work differently then you think they would, i.e., I think images go to a special image server before they are retransmitted to the intended receiver (twitter does this too).

It's possible there's a problem with the path to that server out of SDO, and it's intermittent - just like I've been seeing with other things like github and microsoft update.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

"It seems to send, e.g. the transmission bar goes to about 90% but then stops dead and comes back with a failure message."

Yes, that's exactly what happens. Goes up to about 90% and then gives up, and after a very long time it gives an error message. Texts seem to work fine.

Should also add, neither the news part of the Stocks app and the News.app will refresh with current news items. it times out and just shows what it cached from the last time it had anything, which could have been days ago.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

News won't load for me. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

Should also add, neither the news part of the Stocks app and the News.app will refresh with current news items. it times out and just shows what it cached from the last time it had anything, which could have been days ago.

maratsade

BTW, Google Drive & Dropbox don't load either. 

Here's an interesting tidbit:

My webserver is behind CenturyLink. I installed Wordpress recently to play around with. Had an immense problem trying to install an automated backup plugin. Cloudflare, my CDN, kept losing it's connection with the 'origin server'.

Finally managed to get the backup plugin fully installed, and tried to get it to authenticate with Dropbox to use as a backup repository. No joy.

Keep in mind this is all separated from HN and has nothing to do with it, so this is looking more and more like yet another a CenturyLink fubar.

What I don't understand is why I started to have the problem just recently, but you've apparently had it all along when we're both on the same beam/gateway. Luck?

maratsade

@MarkJFine ,

The issues I've noticed started a few weeks ago, and they disappear when I'm on a different network.Wouldn't that be a symptom of something happening in the intertubes between my site and SDO?

EDIT:

I think the first thing was iMessage not sending images and also showing the "tap to download" thing for when images came in.  This happens on HN but not other networks.

Next I noticed Google Drive was not loading at all when on the HN network, but works well in others.

A couple of days ago I noticed the News app on iOS doesn't load anymore, and that DropBox also doesn't load. Both work fine on other networks. 

Google Drive sometimes works after 6 pm, but last night it didn't work at all.  Things may be worsening, but I don't have time to keep track.  I wondered if load balancing and prioritising may have something to do with this, but I imagine many people in education use Google Drive and DropBox, so it'd make sense to prioritise those two as well.  But I don't know, and all of this is beyond my skills and understanding. 

The modem is green across the board; no issues. 

I'm sure HN will eventually figure this out; and as for me, most things I can ignore or work around for the time being, though I'd rather have G-Drive and DB be working, but oh well. 

There are Xfinity hotspots nearby if needed, though they're not top quality, something that won't come as a suprise to anyone who's used Xfinity for any length of time.

If this is worsening, though, eventually I'll run out of workarounds. 

TL;DR: things have been getting worse for a while; needed sites are not loading; workarounds OK but may not remain so. 

Dropbox works, just incredibly slow, as in under 100kbps... typically 20-50kbps.

Edit: Different providers use different paths. For example, my Verizon hotspot (which I could use but creates other problems if I don't switch correctly) connects flawlessly, but they don't go through CL. The fact that my server is having the same problems we are (for example, the same 1-minute delay and slow connections to various places) would seem to indicate it's them. And it's very sporadic, even though it's mostly miss than hit.

maratsade

Not for me. I get a blank page.   

@MarkJFine wrote:

Dropbox works, just incredibly slow, as in under 100kbps... typically 20-50kbps.

@maratsade wrote:

Not for me. I get a blank page.  

Try a shift-refresh.

maratsade

I do. No luck.

@MarkJFine wrote:

e. I get a blank page.  

Try a shift-refresh.

maratsade

My Verizon hotspot stinks, so can't use it at all, really, unless I drive somewhere with more towers.  The issues I'm having with iMessage, News, Google Drive, DropBox, are not sporadic for me.  They continue all day. I try many times a day, sometimes several times per hour, with no luck; though sometimes they work before 7 am, but not often.  I've seen the issues crop up after 2 am, more and more. EDIT: iMessage stopped working for images; only works for text; iCloud doesn't work at all unless I'm on a different nework.  

Since I can access all of this on other networks, such as Xfinity (at work), without a problem, I thought it might be path related.  I don't know who Xfinity uses as their provider though.  

EDIT 2: Whatever it is, I think eventually it'll get fixed or if not fixed (CL grrrrrr), at least improved.  May not be straightforward or easy to find/fix. 

Any update from HughesNet on this iMessage issue?  It has been an issue for me for a few years. Clearly this is a problem on the HughesNet end, and many users are experiencing it (based on the multiple threads I have read.)

maratsade

They will update us when they have an update to post. 

There's nothing clear about the origin of the problem. 

dtgmd24 wrote:

Any update from HughesNet on this iMessage issue?  It has been an issue for me for a few years. Clearly this is a problem on the HughesNet end, and many users are experiencing it (based on the multiple threads I have read.)

Hi folks!

Any iOS users still having trouble sending pictures via iMessage?

Engineering needs feedback on how iMessage is currently performing for you, this will help them in their efforts to roll out a fix.

Please send a ~3 MB picture via iMessage and note how long it takes to successfully send/return an error.

If it works, try sending a larger picture and note how long that one takes.

Also check your iMessage settings and let me know if this test was done with the Low Quality image setting enabled.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

maratsade

iMessage images have worked for me for the last 2 days. Sending with LQ enabled. 

Hello,

Thank you all for your patience while engineering investigated and addressed this. I got confirmation from engineering that they've rolled out optimization to all customers to improve iMessage/iCloud performance. I hope to see your feedback on current experiences with iMessage/iCloud, bad or good.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Liz, 

I am having the same issue as the original user to this thread. I recently became a customer and to date, I have not been able to send Imessages. I have three Iphones in my household and they are all experiencing the same issue. 

I have two iphone 6 phones and the pictures eventually are received; however, it takes approximately 40-50 minutes for a 1.1 MB/2.5MB message and this is the same issue regardless if it's in the morning or in the evening. Additionally, I did what you suggested in the thread "turn on the Low Quality Image Mode." Also, I have "reset" the network settings on the phones-same result. 

However, if I am at work the Imessage photographs do not experience any issues. I have done all and every configuration found in this thread and online. I truely believe that this is an issue on your end since I don't experience these issues on wirless connections like at work. 

I attempted to reach your customer service and they simply told me it was a "weather issue." Nonethless, I did not know it rained for 10 straight days in seattle for 24 hours. I hope that this engineering issue is resolved or you will continue to have an increase number of dissapointed customers. 

Thank you, CM. 

maratsade

Update, 4/1/2020

Google Drive has worked for me today and all day yesterday. 

Dropbox worked for a  couple of minutes today, then went back to a blank screen. 

iCloud has worked  today, if quite slowly

Images through iMessage: big nope