iMessage: images fail to upload

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

iMessage: images fail to upload

For the last 10 days, images are not being delivered by iMessage on iPhone and iPad. The upload gets stuck and the image fails to send and an error message is displayed. This only happens on the HN network; does not happen on other networks.

Sometimes when trying to resend the image, it finally goes through after 15 or 20 minutes, but often it gets stuck again.

Other things work just fine: browsing is fine, streaming is fine. Dashboard all green, state code 0.0.0.

I wonder if you all could check this and see if it may need a tweak on your part.  Thanks! 🙂

76 REPLIES 76

Dropbox is a blank screen for me, and I have business files I need to get off there.

Did I hear someone say it may be a CL problem?

@lighthope1 wrote:

I was installing an automated backup (UpdraftPlus) to my website, which is also under CL but outside of HughesNet. I had intended on using Dropbox as a repository but I gave up. It was so bad that it couldn't complete the authorization process.

I ended up using Google Drive instead. Had been getting some of the typical CL dropouts to Google Drive, but each backup worked. Today it actually went through with no warnings - validating what @maratsade said.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Yeah, it worked for about 2 minutes and now we're back to the blank screen.  @MarkJFine has blamed all of this on CL. 

lighthope1 wrote:

Dropbox is a blank screen for me, and I have business files I need to get off there.

maratsade

BTW, and I don't really know what this means, but I've pinged dropbox.com and it's normal, and traceroute is normal too, even though the dropbox site doesn't load. 

Is routing arount CL feesable?  I don't recall where they are on the path.

They just seem to be an unrepentant problem child.

@lighthope1 wrote:

Is routing arount CL feesable?  I don't recall where they are on the path.

You can't route around a gateway's only pipe to the internet. Just as HN is our provider, CL is essentially the other end of the HN part.

The only way you get around them is by replacing them, and since they've basically bought up most of the nation's major high bandwidth carriers (Level3, Qwest, Embarq, Savvis) the likelihood of easily replacing them in any given area is slim.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

In a word, we are fuffed.

@MarkJFine wrote:

You can't route around a gateway's only pipe to the internet. Just as HN is our provider, CL is essentially the other end of the HN part.

The only way you get around them is by replacing them, and since they've basically bought up most of the nation's major high bandwidth carriers (Level3, Qwest, Embarq, Savvis) the likelihood of easily replacing them in any given area is slim.

Interestingly enough, I had no problem with Github this morning, but Akamai (and any MS updates) is dead in the water.

EDIT: Well, Github *was* working. Dead now.

maratsade

Things are clunky for me today, and the trinity (iCloud, G-Drive, and Dropbox) is MIA.  Yesterday Dropbox was in a teasing mood: it'd work for a few seconds, then go back to being unavailable. On and off, all afternoon. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

Interestingly enough, I had no problem with Github this morning, but Akamai (and any MS updates) is dead in the water.

maratsade

"Well, Github *was* working. Dead now."

Yep. It mocks you, just like Dropbox.

@maratsade wrote:

Yep. It mocks you, just like Dropbox.

I must've snuck in while someone was updating the .htaccess file.

Add whatever repository Turbo Tax uses for software updates. And since it's April, those updates are like daily.

And if you can't/don't do the update, Turbo Tax quits on you...

Edit:

a104-84-185-98.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com:443, of course... same as the problem with Microsoft.

maratsade

Great. It's spreading. This stuff may totally break CL.

maratsade

Update 4/2/2020

Google Drive -- won't load  (had worked for 2 days, but now it's back to a blank page)

Dropbox -- won't load (blank page)

iCloud -- won't load (error message)