cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage: images fail to upload

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: iMessage: images fail to upload

I was surprised by that too...not sure what to make of it.  But hey, it's sort of working, and it's not the biggest problem in the world right now (or honestly, it was never that huge a deal), and that's all that matters.  Thank you and the engineer(s) for working on this.  Smiley Happy

Liz

You're welcome, maratsade!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

maratsade

Update, 3/24/20: the problem is back, even with LQ on.  Images don't go through (happened between 12:30 am at 2 am) and don't get downloaded (happened at around 8 am). 

No worries, though, this is one of those "put on the back burner for now," but wanted to send the info anyway, and add the problem may be expanding, as texts and emails are getting stuck, arriving hours later, blank (no content).  This is happening with iOS devices on the HN network. They work on other networks. 

Liz

Thank you maratsade, I've relayed this info to engineering.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

So I updated to macos 10.15.4 and ios 13.4 yesterday and now I'm seeing this.

1. With or without LQ setting.

2. With or without IPv6 engaged.

Problem seen on iMessages on iPhone as well as on MacBook:

It seems to send, e.g. the transmission bar goes to about 90% but then stops dead and comes back with a failure message.

On recieve you just see a download 'circle' with 0kb of xxMb, and it just stays that way not doing anything.

Very strange behavior and it's just on images, not on texts, but I know these things work differently then you think they would, i.e., I think images go to a special image server before they are retransmitted to the intended receiver (twitter does this too).

It's possible there's a problem with the path to that server out of SDO, and it's intermittent - just like I've been seeing with other things like github and microsoft update.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

"It seems to send, e.g. the transmission bar goes to about 90% but then stops dead and comes back with a failure message."

Yes, that's exactly what happens. Goes up to about 90% and then gives up, and after a very long time it gives an error message. Texts seem to work fine.

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Should also add, neither the news part of the Stocks app and the News.app will refresh with current news items. it times out and just shows what it cached from the last time it had anything, which could have been days ago.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

News won't load for me. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

Should also add, neither the news part of the Stocks app and the News.app will refresh with current news items. it times out and just shows what it cached from the last time it had anything, which could have been days ago.

maratsade

BTW, Google Drive & Dropbox don't load either. 

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Here's an interesting tidbit:

My webserver is behind CenturyLink. I installed Wordpress recently to play around with. Had an immense problem trying to install an automated backup plugin. Cloudflare, my CDN, kept losing it's connection with the 'origin server'.

Finally managed to get the backup plugin fully installed, and tried to get it to authenticate with Dropbox to use as a backup repository. No joy.

Keep in mind this is all separated from HN and has nothing to do with it, so this is looking more and more like yet another a CenturyLink fubar.

What I don't understand is why I started to have the problem just recently, but you've apparently had it all along when we're both on the same beam/gateway. Luck?