HughesNet Community

iPhone won’t stay connected

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Missykj2

iPhone won’t stay connected

I have a new service and all of the devices will connect, but, they disconnect after about five minutes and never auto reconnect. I’ve troubleshoot the devices and the modem and nothing is helping. I’ve called 3 times and was hung up on each time. Not a good start

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Besides your iPhone, what other devices drop the wifi?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Are you using the HughesNet modem's built in WiFi or a 3rd party modem?  

It's very odd to have all devices disconnecting like that, and it suggests that either signal interference from another source or the WiFi itself is the problem.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
MrBuster
Senior

You may be seeing something that I saw a few years back. On the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, suddenly all devices disconnect, then attempt to reconnect with only a few devices actually being able to reconnect and the remaining devices give up/time out and never auto reconnect.

After doing some digging around, I found out the issue is caused by the the Draft 802.11n vs final 802.11n specification issue with 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi. Before the final 802.11n specification for 2.4 "N" class Wi-Fi was released in 2009, there was a draft version of the specification that manufacturers used before the final specifications were known. Although devices built to both versions can connect to the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi, the devices can only be using the Wi-Fi at the same time if details of the protocols are backed down to a common denominator which requires all devices to disconnect and reconnect with a slower common method. When all devices disconnect and attempt to reconnect at the same time, you will get a group of devices succeeding at connecting, but not all of the devices can auto connect and seem to just give up. It is like musical chairs with the Wi-Fi.

In my case, my niece had an old fat phone, which would either connect to Wi-Fi with a new connection, or wake up to talk a little on a Wi-Fi connection it was already on, while newer devices using the full 802.11n were on, then they would all disconnect to force a common protocol because they were using different incompatible protocols for the Wi-Fi. Finding that one old fat phone was HARD -- there were a lot of people with a lot of devices and they did not understand that just because the screen is off does not mean the thing is not using the Wi-Fi and convincing them of this can be hard.

You must shut down all devices and watch the currently connected devices (http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/conn_dev_info) list like a buzzard eyeing squirrels playing in the road to be sure ALL devices are off the system and that they stay off. After being sure nothing is sneaking back on, activate some small group of devices while being sure ONLY devices from the small group reconnect. Then watch like a hawk to be sure that all devices in that group can use the Wi-Fi together without playing musical chairs with the disconnect/reconnect and that no device outside the group you chose is connecting.

Once you have determined some small group that can work together, add small groups of devices and test to be sure all can work together without problems at the same time (be sure to make internet traffic from all connected devices at about the same time to be sure they can work together).

By doing this, at some point you will find a device that when added to the list is causing the problem -- it is likely an old device manufactured around 2008, but in reading about this it seems some people do some configuration nonsense to newer devices to intentionally create this problem.

Once I found the problem was caused by my nieces old fat phone, I asked her to keep it off unless there were only a few people using the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi. This issue does not affect the 5 GHz Wi-Fi.

Liz

Hi Missykj2,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. I hope MrBuster's suggestions were helpful. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!