cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

im being riped off

im being riped off

hughesnet 
i clearly told them i would be using laptop some times and watch Netflix they tolled me this will work for you and sighed me up for the cheaper plan the never told me netflix would used all my data in 2 weeks after calling they talked me into trying it again and gave me more tokens a week later same problem cancel to cancel talked me in to again next call they finally told me to change some thins in netflix that should help gave me more tokens a few days later same problem.
i bout 16+ dollars of token my self that was 2 gb then ext night i watched one move and halfway threw the next same problem so i spent 16 dollars for one and a half moves i called again to cancel on phone for an hour now they are demanding i pay 400 to get out of contract 
5 REPLIES 5
Junior

Re: im being riped off

You know how much data you get per month and you know how big (much data) a movie is, do the math.
Is there really someone else to blame?

First, no agent can possibly know how much Netflix you are going to use and what definition you will be using. Any streaming should always be done at SD, NEVER HD.

If you feel you were lied to, fooled, suckered..... etc than leave the serial number from your modem here and the Official Reps will pull your sales call to see if you were actually misled.

Hughesnet has some responsibility BUT the major responsibility falls on the user. Monitor your data and know what you are using.
Alum

Hello verndady,

Thanks for posting and welcome. I'm sorry to hear of this. What we'll do is have you sales call reviewed and make sure you were not misled during your sales call. If so, we'll do everything we can to resolve this for you. Once I have heard back and have some results I will let you know. Your patience and cooperation are greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,
Chris
Highlighted

If you really watch and listen to Hughes' ad on TV, at NO TIME do they say that satellite internet (theirs) is good for watching streaming TV and/or movies, or games. People should learn to do their research and read the fine print BEFORE signing anything. I have gone for 2 weeks now on Smart Browsing mode...no uploading or downloading, and I've survived. It's just how it is. I've looked into other services and they are no better.
Alum

Hi Verndaddy,

We have an update. After reviewing your sales call I have concluded that our agent provided all pertinent and correct info to you during your interaction. So any fees incurred when cancelling are valid. What I suggest is taking some suggestions in data management and applying them. I'm sure these will help you get the most out of your service. 

Having a data limit does take some getting used to. Good thing is, we have some tips in helping you conserve data and get rid of data leaks. Whether you are watching videos or just browsing, there are many factors that could affect how fast data is used on your network.

First thing I would do is use a browser like Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Or Safari. These browsers offer useful extensions like ad blockers that will help you in using less data, and have a smoother browsing experience in general. This extension is from Chrome that I use myself:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

Second take note that many more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

Do you have Windows 10? Your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time. You can also set automatic windows updates to run only during the bonus period if you have windows 7 or below. Win 8/8.1 and Win10 will allow some control of this mainly with its metered connection settings however here is a more in depth way to help you with Win10 data management. Take a look here:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/monitor-your-data-usage-in-windows-10/

For streaming lovers and multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to low/SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. I hope all of this helps. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Chris