cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

length of contract obligation to stay with hughesnet wi-fi

New Poster

length of contract obligation to stay with hughesnet wi-fi

Just got the wi-fi hooked up on Jan 2, 2019, and am underwhelmed with the service so far. Poor download speeds, even poorer upload speeds. I upgraded to next higher priced level already but no noticeable difference. I  am the only person in this home so the system isn't overloaded. Can't stream movies due to poor download rate in evening. Is there a number I can call to tell me the length of my imprisoment with dark ages speeds?

2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Professor III

Re: length of contract obligation to stay with hughesnet wi-fi

@mrjrwj1 

The length of the contract is 24 months, so if your HughesNet service was started on Jan 2nd, 2019, your contract would be through Jan 1st, 2021.  All Gen5 plans offer the same speed, so increasing to the next size plan would only increase your monthly high speed data allotment.  If you exceed that monthly high speed data allotment, your service speed is throttled.  

If you're attempting to stream in HD, make sure to turn off, or snooze, the Video Data Saver, or you may experience buffering.  With that said, please keep in mind that streaming, especially in HD, is a very data intensive activity, and doing so can use up your high speed data allotment very quickly.  

If you're experience a speed problem and you would like help to address it, please first make sure that you have not exhausted your high speed data allotment.  You can check with the HughesNet Usage Meter, by checking the Usage tab on the My Account site (at the top of the page), or by going to the System Control Center.  If you haven't exhausted your data, please perform the speed tests laid out in the following instructions.  This will help the HughesNet reps to help you.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx  (due to being an older page, the test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed in the instructions above, in bold, for Gen5)).

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Re: length of contract obligation to stay with hughesnet wi-fi

Richard,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. @GabeU posted a great response for you to read and follow. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

-Damian