looking for a solution?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmnmay
Freshman

looking for a solution?

hello, so my testing pretty much speaks for itself with what i am dealing with.....

it feels like there are simply just way too many people using this service?

like maybe another satalite is needed?

or is my modem somehow governed or faulty?

service man just replaced it last month after initial install.

daytime is terible & night does good.

what will happen when my 20 GB are used up?

i dont think performance can get any worse?

its just me & the wife. 

internet is so bad that we can only run 1 device at a time.

i have adjusted settings to low video quality on hughes and put netflix back to auto.

it was way to blurry with both on low at the same time.

we TURN OFF & UNPLUG tv & devices when not in use.

our modem is stratigically centered in our home so wi-fi is EXCELLENT in every room!

do you think getting one of those repeaters would help netflix from buffering so much?

all i watch is netflix / you tube so all i need is a steady 6 mbps across the board.

i dont think thats too much to ask?

we can put a man on the moon & a rover on mars but i cant get a steady 6 mbps through out the day?

sorry to vent its just getting frustraiting....

ive spent more time testing and surfing for solutions when i should be relaxing watching a show?

thanks for any suggestions you can offer..

https://testmy.net/quickstats/dmnmay

34 REPLIES 34
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Yikes, those are bad speeds. There are so many things that can influence the quality of the service, which is why so much troubleshooting needs to be done.  You now have a good batch of tests, and I hope the reps here can begin the process of working with you about your issues, and getting the engineers involved.

To be realistic: sometimes they can fix issues, and sometimes they can't. Additionally it may take time for them to figure out where the issue is and to repair it.  

I wonder about your speed if/when your data runs out. It may be interesting to try this. 

In another post you had said you figured out you have to turn off the Roku when not in use. I thought as much. Anything you have connected to your network (except the modem itself)  is using data for something, including updates and maintenance when you're not actively using it, and contributes to speed and congestion issues.  Just for comparison's sake, have you tried watching something without the roku? For example, going directly to Netflix on the web, logging in, and watching something on your browser?

Hopefully the reps here will see your post today and give you some answers. 

thank you, i am learning.

ya we unplug & turn off everything when not in use.

i figured out even roku devices even not in use will still use juice for clock, screensavers & ads. 

no i havent tried watching netflix on my computer becouse it is in my office and not in front of my couch LOL

i did try to download some movies onto netfix on my tablet so i could screen mirror onto my roku when needed.

it downloaded real slow.

i am thinking of buying a new smart TV and pluging it in directly to the modem?

but it is currently only 1' from the TV so i dont think it will make a difference?

if i did would i have to unplug the TV or will it turn off the wifi by itself each time?

thanks for the help.....

maratsade

The smart TV will likely eat data like a hungry hippo, so you will need to keep an eagle eye on it and disconnect it from the wifi when you're not actively watching it. They don't really turn off anymore even if they seem off. 

"i havent tried watching netflix on my computer becouse it is in my office and not in front of my couch "

LOL.  Well, if you ever want to see if there's a difference between the roku and watching on the browser, lock yourself up in your office and stream! Also, you need a nice couch in your office so you can relax.  😁😁

hey maratsade, i knew it wouldnt work but i did it just for you!

i hardlined my laptop directly to the modem.

netflix was unable to play.

just sits there and buffers.

i waqs told netflix needs a minimum of .5 mbps to recieve low quality streaming.

and works best  at 6 mbps

i just did a test and it is only .217 Kpbs hard lined!

also just verified that my wi-fi & hardline both test at the same speed.

2:40 pm was wifi & 3:15 was hardline with all other devices off and unplugged. 

verified with hughes system control center.

maratsade

Well, rats.  It was a thought!  But at least you did test it, and that's another bit of data that can help the engineers. I hope things improve for you. 

Hello dmnmay, 

Thank you for posting and sharing what you've done so far as troubleshooting, this helps. I definitely want to address your concerns, so I'd like to ask you further questions to clarify what you said and gather more info.

1. When you watch videos, you said they appear "blurry". Would it also be correct to say the videos look "pixelated" as well?

2. Does anything else happen when you try to watch videos, like getting an error message or the video stopping intermittently? I'd like to get the most accurate idea of your video streaming experience.

3. You said you only watch Netflix and YouTube, so to be clear, you're seeing "blurry" videos and have general issues on both streaming platforms? 

4. Can you think of any other streaming platform you or maybe your wife tried besides Netflix and YouTube? If so, I'm curious if the experience is the same on that platform, please let me know. 

5. maratsade mentioned you have a Roku, and I can see that in your device history as well. Is the Roku how you generally try to watch Netflix and YouTube?

6. Do you currently have a Smart TV?

7. Do your streaming issues happen on all devices?

8. If you haven't tried on other devices, please do so and let me know if you notice any difference.

9. As maratsade suggested, please let me know how streaming directly from Netflix and YouTube's websites (meaning, without using thed Roku) fares for you.

I suggest for troubleshooting purposes, pick the laptop/PC you usually use to stream and directly connect it to the HughesNet modem via ethernet cable.

Then to isolate that device, temporarily turn off the wifi on the HughesNet modem, here's how to do that: 

-Follow the steps here to get to the modem's wifi settings home screen.

-Uncheck the box next to SSID Enable.

-Make sure to do this under both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks.

10. If streaming issues persist, please let me know which videos/shows/movies you tried to stream and what happened exactly. Please take note of the playback quality on each streaming platform.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated. Let me know if I can answer any questions regarding the above.

Thank you!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

hello Liz,

let me run through these queations and anser them the best i can?

1) yes sometimes it is pixalated. sometimes blurry / sometimes squares?

2 ) yes it drops all the time. i have to press yes to try again, then pick show again, wait for it to buffer, then its blurry, then about 15 minutes it drops again?

3) yes it is blurry on netflix, you-tube & a ABC news channel app on BOTH rokus on different TVs.

4) sometimes i download netflix movies onto my tablet to screen mirror onto a roku later. it took me 2 different trys at different times becouse it would download?

5) yes we only stream on our 2 big stupid TVs with rokus. one stick & one primere. ( the primere is cool cuz i can wear my headphones at 3:am and not wake up the wife LOL )

who in the would wants to watch videos on a phone, tablet or computer LOL ? 

6) i have 1 smart TV for the exercise room but we havent mounted or used it yet. we are still unpacking. its only a 32'' 

7) yes it happens on all devices. my wife dont even use the wi-fi on her phone because it is so slow. our verizon gets 7-10 mbps during rush hour ( why cant Hughes? )

8 & 9) i just hardlined my computer to the modem and attempted to watch netflix.

test ran .217 kbps.

i just replyed to maratsade with the details. netflix just buffers. 

i ran two test, one wi-fi & one hardline. 

both had same results. 

2:45 pm was wi-fi .233 kbps

3-15: was hard line .231 kbps

both test took 15 minutes to finish.

all wifi devices were verified OFF with hughes system control center

HughesNet System Control Center

netfix needs at least .5 mbps minimum to operate on low setting.

i already knew my wi-fi was as good as hardline due to a previous test in the begining. 

when netflix was bad in the living room 1' away from the modem i switched roku from the bedroom and hardline the primere to the modem. it made no difference.

my current duel test verified that my wi-fi is EXCELLENT and the modem can get up to 28 mbps. ( i actually saw 30 mbps before testing at 3:am )

people are telling me that hughes is a shared bandwith and has oversubscribed or the modem has been throttled at certain times?

wow after all this i need a beer.

im gonna go light a campfire & drik fireball since i cant watch TV? 

you guys have a good evening i will check in tomorrow.

GabeU

@dmnmay 

I don't know that it will, but in the slight chance it might make a difference with the streaming, even if only for at least some of the time, try turning off or snoozing the Video Data Saver.

hey Gabe,

i havent tried that because everything works fine @ off-peak hours.

i can watch tv no problem ( whoops i mean stream shows LOL )

but i will try it during the day anyway. it wont hurt to try.

its not the equipment or the wi-fi its the service during daytime.

this service isnt healthy for me because i watch tv in the middle of the night & fall asleep during the day : (

thanks for helping

maratsade

"its not the equipment or the wi-fi its the service during daytime."

This points to the issue being with congestion, which neither you nor HN can solve. It's simply too many people using the system for data-intensive tasks such as streaming and working/learning online.  Part of this is a result of the pandemic and having so many people learning and working from home. 

good morning Maratsade,

ya i understand.

but not sure if i agree with the soulution or giving up?

hughes offers " puchase data tokens " ?

doesnt that throttle up or speed up the service?

IDK how that works?

they were sending me emails to puchase discount tokens to have more data for the holidays.

why cant they throttle me up a little bit during the day so i can at least watch tv?

i feel that not being able to watch tv at anytime is a breach of contract!

but i am sure hughes dont feel that way?

i am down to 30% of data left on peak hours with 15 days left.

what happens when my data runs out?

i honestly have no idea?

i didnt run out on the first month for some reason but will deffinately run out on this second month?

are they gonna take away my 1 mbps?

sorry to vent......

hope you have a good day

maratsade

Your frustration is understandable. 

Throttling is what happens when a subscriber runs out of data, and it refers to the speed being significantly reduced. The data tokens we can purchase restore the speed. So, when your "data tank" shows at zero, you can purchase a token and put a little bit of data into the tank.  Some people never buy tokens -- they just deal with slower speeds. 

The experience with the throttled speeds varies a lot. Some people do just fine with the reduced speed; some can even watch YouTube. Others can hardly do anything at all.  

HughesNet is not controlling your daytime experience. The other users in your region are. The more users, the more everyone's experience suffers, because the system gets taxed.  Satellite internet is limited  -- the satellite only has so much data to go around, so the company needs to ration it.  Think of it as soup: the more people helping themselves to soup from the pot, the less soup there is. Same with data.

During the day, people are awake and doing stuff with data -- studying, teaching, working, watching stuff. This makes it so there is less data for everyone, and everyone slows down a bit.  It's just the reality of statellite and the fact that it can't be upgraded without launching a new upgraded satellite, and this takes years and a lot of money.

Companies like Xfinity or Spectrum are terrestrial, so when more capacity is needed, they just send a truck with some techs and they install stuff to expand the capacity.  But the satellite is in orbit, so once it's been launched, there it sits and it can't be upgraded until a new satellite is launched. 

The contract says that service and performance aren't guaranteed, so not being able to watch TV is not a breach of contract because the contract doesn't say that the company promises you can watch TV with the service.  

When your data runs out, your speeds will be lower -- but it seems to be you're already experiencing lower speeds anyway, so you may not notice a change. 

They will not cut you off, though. You can continue to use the service at the throttled (reduced) speeds. They won't cut you off if you run out every month, either. 

I think it might be interesting for you to see what happens with your experience when you run out of data. Recently someone posted that they did better when their data was gone than when they had data. This may or may not happen to you.

@Liz has started working with you, so hang in there , as the process can take time.  Figuring out what is causing problems is like detective work and a lot of patience is needed.  Looks like right now Liz is trying to figure out why you can't stream, because you've mentioned the biggest problem is you can't stream. Maybe you should focus more on the cause of the low speeds? If the speeds go back to normal, you may be able to stream. Right now your speeds are slow at all times of the day -- that's not what's to be expected, so maybe it might be more efficient to figure out why that's happening, why speeds are so very low at all times. 

Hi dmnmay,

Thank you so much for your response, this helps a lot. I just wanted to make sure I understood your situation because various statements seemed contradictory:

daytime is terible & night does good.

i cant get a steady 6 mbps through out the day?

everything works fine @ off-peak hours.

i can watch tv no problem ( whoops i mean stream shows LOL )
    but i will try it during the day anyway.

its not the equipment or the wi-fi its the service during daytime.

When do you mostly encounter streaming issues? Daytime? Nighttime? Or does it happen regardless of time?

Please disable UPnP in the modem settings. Here's how to do that.

After disabling UPnP, try streaming again on the isolated PC from last time (directly connected to modem and with wifi off). Any difference?

Gabe's suggestion is also good if you haven't tried it yet, any difference with Video Data Saver off?

Another thing to try, if the above two methods don't improve streaming, is to disable IPv6 on the modem: 

Go to the WiFi Settings page in the modem

Click Advanced Settings in the left menu

Click IPv6 from the Advanced Settings menu, should be the very last option.

Uncheck IPv6 - Automatic

Click SAVE SETTINGS

Please let me know how streaming goes with each method, as well as around what time you tried streaming.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated, looking forward to your reply!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

thanks everybody for the help.

i will be patient.

i dont do social media or play video games.

mainly just netflix, a little online shopping and a little online banking.

sorry if things sound misleading?

things work good in the bonus hours but daytime i get less than 1 mbps.

daytime is when streaming is bad?

sometimes it barely works and sometimes it just sits there and buffers.

i cant watch tv inbetween like 6:pm-9:pm. thats the worst. it just buffers. if it does start it stops in like a minute then buffers again for like 5 minutes & repeats

thats about the time everybody gets home from work?

as crazy as it sounds it feels like i am the last in line at the buffet and when i get there theres nothing left but scraps LOL.

earlyer i tested 37 mbps in off peak. netflix was pretty good even though it droped 3 times in 1/2hr? but it booted back up real quick so that was cool.

i am back down to 0.46 mbps this morning.

it took a few minutes to buffer up but netfilx worked on my computer hardlined to the modem. i only watched for a minute and turned it off.

down to 30% data with 13 days left.

last month i think i had 30% leftover?

not sure whats happening there? not watching much tv LOL maybe all this testing, emails, homework surfing for a solution is using more juice than expected?

my HN app has a pop up telling me to contact customer care for better service?

so i will call them after this.

last time i called them they had me get online and move a bunch of numbers?

like redirecting a beam to a sattalite or something?????

then a serviceman came out. ran some test and changed the modem.

then after i call them i will disable the UPnP ( what ever that is LOL ) and see what happens today?

thanks liz

while disableing the UPNP i could not get passed the administrative password?

is it mine?

i tried mine several times but it didnt work?

i need to take a break...........

maratsade

Try this password: admin

so i just had a good lunchtime experience!

i disabled the video saver like Gabe suggested.

i watched a full episode on netflix with no dropping, buffering & nice clear picture on my 60'' stupid tv with roku on wifi !!!!!!! 

i think that may have fixed the problem but i just ran a test and seen 8.5 mbps wich ive never seen at this time off day! ( maybe a fluke )

i hope something has changed and this continiues!

it was nice!

if the mbps drops again or if i have trouble later on today at dinner i will try to change that UPNP thing with " admin" as a password.

thanks again for the help everybody.

i appriciate it.

maratsade

Good luck! I hope the speed returns to normal.

Keep in mind, though, that with the Video Data Saver disabled, you will be using a lot more data and faster. 

@maratsade wrote:

"its not the equipment or the wi-fi its the service during daytime."

This points to the issue being with congestion, which neither you nor HN can solve. It's simply too many people using the system for data-intensive tasks such as streaming and working/learning online.  Part of this is a result of the pandemic and having so many people learning and working from home. 

Yeah it sure sounds like that, but the one piece of data that makes me wonder is the fact that his speed tests slow down during the day too.  Admittedlly, I haven't done one in awhile, so the prioritization rules could have changed, but outside of FAP I always get 25+mbps on any speed test that isn'f fast.com.  Yet, my non speed test traffic is generally 1mbps or typically less (and streaming is even slower and just not doable).  That data implies that speed test traffic is priortitized and routed around congestion, and since speed tests are used for official troubleshooting by support, that makes sense.  So I do wonder if there's something more to it in his case, and maybe its exacerbated by added congestion but not directly caused by it?