looking for a solution?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmnmay
Freshman

looking for a solution?

hello, so my testing pretty much speaks for itself with what i am dealing with.....

it feels like there are simply just way too many people using this service?

like maybe another satalite is needed?

or is my modem somehow governed or faulty?

service man just replaced it last month after initial install.

daytime is terible & night does good.

what will happen when my 20 GB are used up?

i dont think performance can get any worse?

its just me & the wife. 

internet is so bad that we can only run 1 device at a time.

i have adjusted settings to low video quality on hughes and put netflix back to auto.

it was way to blurry with both on low at the same time.

we TURN OFF & UNPLUG tv & devices when not in use.

our modem is stratigically centered in our home so wi-fi is EXCELLENT in every room!

do you think getting one of those repeaters would help netflix from buffering so much?

all i watch is netflix / you tube so all i need is a steady 6 mbps across the board.

i dont think thats too much to ask?

we can put a man on the moon & a rover on mars but i cant get a steady 6 mbps through out the day?

sorry to vent its just getting frustraiting....

ive spent more time testing and surfing for solutions when i should be relaxing watching a show?

thanks for any suggestions you can offer..

https://testmy.net/quickstats/dmnmay

34 REPLIES 34
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

" the one piece of data that makes me wonder is the fact that his speed tests slow down during the day too."

Ditto.  It's likely there's more to it than congestion. The speed measurements are very very low and not just during prime time.  That's why I suggested that the OP might want to focus more on what may be causing these speeds. 

hey guys,

not too sure what you guys were talking about but i got the jist.

so here is what i learned today:

1) video data saver works fine on netflix when there is plenty of mbps.

2) for some reason when mbps are inbetween 0.50 & 1.5 it needs to be off?

3) i need at least 1.5 mbps with data saver turned OFF to succesfully watch netflix.

4) with VDS off & .298 kbps i was barley able to watch netflix. pixilation would go back & forth. but at least it didnt drop or buffer?

5) with VDS turned ON even with 1.5 mbps netfix drops & buffers.

so i will be doing more testing turning VDS on/off to verify this data?

also try netflix low settings off/on ( i put it back on auto when i turned on VDS )

do you think i should still do that UPNP thing?

will liz & gabe see this message?

this looks like a side thread or something?

thanks for the help

https://testmy.net/quickstats/dmnmay?_fromLogout=1

maratsade

It might be a good idea to do the troubleshooting Liz mentioned to you.  I also think, though, that your problem right now is your speeds are too low -- I would focus on trying to figure out, with the help of the HN reps here, what may be causing the much lower than normal speeds.  I'd leave the streaming issue for after the speeds issue has been resolved.

thanks Maratsade,

the password "admin" worked!

the UPNP was easy enough to change with the instruction link from liz.

i burned up 19% of data yesterday & only have 11% left.

im curious to see what will happen when its gone?

my trouble shooting may be affected and will have to wait 11 days to proceed?

im gong back to bed LOL

have a good day!

😁

maratsade

Glad it worked! I think it would be a good idea for you to let the data go to zero so you can see what happens.  When you're working with a rep and doing testing that eats your data, they sometimes give you free data tokens. That may happen with you too, though for now, I think you really need to see what happens to your speeds when you run out of data. I remember at least one person here some time ago saying they do better after their data runs out.  I've never tried it so I don't know.

Yeah, I'm one of those who have mentioned that when I run out of data, I'm either just as fast or faster.  I've only run out a couple of times though, so I don't know that I'd bet on that behavior.  

maratsade

Ah, that's right. I remember now.  But even before you, other people have mentioned this, though not many. I haven't run out of data in almost 2 decades, so can't say, but it'd be interesting for the OP to try. 

GabeU

@dmnmay 

From the looks of it, and this is only going by your testmy results, so I don't know for certain, you're experiencing severe congestion at different times of the day, and especially in the evening.  And I do mean severe.  To go from the 20 or 30 Mbps range to the 200Kbps range is a huge variance. 

Much of what you're describing with the streaming fits pretty well with the speeds you're seeing, though that you were able to stream without buffering at 298Kbps, even with fluctuating resolutions that probably made it look awful, is pretty interesting.  With regard to the VDS, though it's mostly supposed to come into play when your service speed is at least 3Mbps or so, as that's around the speed the VDS is supposed to lock your service down to with streaming in order to save data, I've still seen instances of it helping, at least somewhat, when the service speed below that, which is why I often recommend trying it.  One of those "just in case it helps" things.  

Hopefully Liz and/or the engineers, if they need to get involved, will be able to see the reason(s) why your speeds are dropping so badly, and then effect some kind of remedy, whatever that may be.

Ya IDK?

the hughes app on my phone keept giving me a pop-up window telling me to call a phone number to improve my service?

so i called and ended up in another country?

he did a modem test and said it was fine.

then he said that was all he could do?

he would give my number to a hughes tech.

a Hughes tech called me yesterday.

i told him i had just unclicked the UPNP.

he ran a modem test and then did a force range.

i was able to watch netflix with him on the phone.

it seemed a little better but the same since i turned of the VDS.

it didnt drop or buffer at that time.

a little pixilated then cleared up after 2 minutes.

i did a test while he was on the phone and told him it was 0.48 kbps.

he said that wasnt accurate because i wouldnt be able to stream netflix with him?

so who knows?

i was too busy to watch tv yesterday.

i will use up the data soon ( i got 9% left )

i have a feeling nothing will change?

if thats the case then i will quit worrying about turning off & unplugging devices as long as i can watch netflix ok?

keep the VDS off and just let it burn up! LOL

i wonder if thats what people are doing anyway and its contrubting to the congestion?

there was one more thing liz posted on this thread earlyer i may try?

but im getting burned out on all this.........

thanks for the help.

😔

GabeU

@dmnmay wrote: 

the hughes app on my phone keept giving me a pop-up window telling me to call a phone number to improve my service? 

You can ignore that.  It pops up for just about everyone, regardless of whether there is an actual problem or not.

It's a feature flaw that either needs to be fixed to pop up only when it detects that there is an actual problem (a signal or connection issue), or reworded to say something like "If there is a problem, call this number..."  It's quite misleading.

@Liz 

well i think its time to call it quits.

at lunch today i tried for 1/2 hr trying to watch tv.

netflix, youtube just buffer.

ABC news app said " no lift off "

i tried VDS on/off 

made sure all other devices were off.

no need to test anymore.

but at dinner it was fine?

this service is like pot-luck : each day ya never know what your gonna get? LOL

so i am gonna chalk it up to oversold bandwith.........

i am goona start doing homework & looking for other internet options?

there's gotta be something better out there?

sacrificing the contract would be worth dependable internet.

i got 2% GB left with 11 days remaining LOL

i am curious to see whats gonna happen tommorow with that ?

thanks again everybody for the help.

i really do apprieciate all the time & effort you gave me.

take care & be safe out there.

maratsade

Let us know what happens afer you're out of data, please. 

hey Maratsade,

been out of data all day and it is the same.

as crazy as it sounds it may even be a little better?

i was able to watch netflix with VDS off at breakfast, lunch & dinner!

but then again its sunday ( not a work or school day ) and performance always seems to be different everyday?

it pixalates a little here and there.

but hasnt dropped or buffered once today ( yet ) LOL

ran a couple of test earlyer breakfast was 1 mbps & lunch was 0.52 kbps.

like i said its the same.

i think i only saw 5 mbps during the day once in the last couple of weeks during my testing.

it was always 0.5 to 1.5 mbps.

having daytime data never made any difference for me?

the only time i saw high speeds was inbetween 3-6:00 am ( i saw well over 25 mbps a few times! )

anyway hope this little info helps for future reference & diagnostics.

thanks again for the help.

take care.

maratsade

That's just nuts! Maybe the secret for you is to be out of data. 🙂  Take care, and I hope you can continue to stream.