Hughesnet Community

misled on potential data use and no resolution

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carla Lyle Peac

misled on potential data use and no resolution

I contacted HughesNet when my Verizon/Frontier speed was .09 and HughesNet promised significantly faster speeds. I talked to a sales rep and then a supervisor as I was concerned about being backed into a 2 year commitment with no way out if the service just wasn't what it was claimed to be. Supervisor told me the bad reviews were just a few and that they would not be in business if they did not deliver what was promised. When I asked about data use, he asked what I did on my computer. He informed me there was NO WAY I would ever use all of the data in the plan he was selling me unless I was streaming videos, which I do not do. Well 15 days into my first month, all of my data is used and my access to the internet is shut down. Now Hughes is worse than Verizon/Frontier. I finally was able to get on to the HughesNet customer site and set up an account. No way to curb data drain and no plan with enough daytime data. Very unhappy and stuck!
28 REPLIES 28
Carla Lyle Peac

Now, with turning off all devices at night, getting up pre dawn to try to handle some of my customer issues and bill paying in the 2-8am window, I made it 6 days and am out of data. Guess I will be back to no access to the internet again later today. Still don't watch videos; just check email, access websites to pay bills and check facebook. And I only got 6 days...sad
Liz

Good morning Carla,

Welcome and thanks for posting. Please post your modem's serial number so I can pull up your account and investigate further. 

What do you use the internet for, if not for streaming media? What devices do you have regularly connect to your network? Do you have Windows 10?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Carla Lyle Peac

I will get my serial number shortly. My responses will be slow as I am out of data after 6 days. And there was NOBODY home yesterday, all devices were off or out of the house and it STILL shows a huge data drain on my meter! I check email and email my customers, I check facebook and I pay my bills on the websites (of the credit card companies) so I do not feel I am such a data hog that the salesman would tell me that I would not come anywhere near the limit unless it was a direct bait and switch tactic just to get me into a contract. I have my desktop as the primary device, my husband's laptop (only uses evenings) and my phone and son's phone (when he is in the house). Yes I have Windows 10 and I have been through every setting for Windows 10 I can locate to see where the data drain is...all my updates are set for 2-4am on my phones and desktop. I was even willing to try the business plan as the hours for most use were structured around daytime use but apparently, there are no plans with enough data allowances to accommodate anyone that actually uses their computer for anything. As I am seeing the big picture (even after 2 hours on the phone questioning the sales rep) the sales people get you trapped in the 2 year contract, there are no data planes with a reasonable amount of data allowance and then HN makes their over the top money from selling data one tiny bite at a time for big money, taking an $80 monthly bill and turning it into a $250 bill without even blinking. At this point, if the business plan is not an option and I cannot work anything out, it is effectively cheaper to pay the early termination fee and find another option, even if it means cancelling my home service all together and renting a space somewhere that has internet access...
Liz

Hi Carla,

With Windows 10 updates, you can only schedule when updates are installed. You're scheduling when your computer can reboot once installation is done so it doesn't interrupt you in the middle of something.

However, the updates will be downloaded to your computer in the background, often without your knowledge.

If the laptop is also on Windows 10, there's a metered connection setting that can be toggled to help conserve data: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/windows-10-has-a-metered-button

You may want to look into using a third-party data monitoring program to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC that use the most data. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

Looking forward to getting your serial number so I can pull up your account and request your sales call review.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

astrideapp

so if any customer has Windows they should NOT use HughesNet
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

So, if any customer of any ISP that has data caps ... needs to understand how to manage the operating system and the software installed on that operating system.

Many Microsoft Windows users are unaware of the changes brought about by Win10 and to some degree the changes in update format to Win7 and 8.1

An ISP is contracted to deliver (and support) Internet services to the Modems LAN port.

An ISP is not obligated to provide "IT services" in respect of educating users on how to operate their computer.

astrideapp

my Windows updates are turned off...so now the excuse is that it is McAfee...even though those updates are scheduled during the 2-8am window. And since I have been turning ALL of my computers OFF at night, it makes the updates impossible. I even had data used while my devices were off and NOBODY was in my house! Amazing!!!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

IF you have Win10 updates can not be disabled unless .........

#1: you are running the Enterprise version of Win10

#2: You have performed a registry hack on the OS

#3: You ONLY connect wirelessly AND have set your Windows WiFi connection to "Metered"

#3.5: You recheck the "metered" setting after every Win Update as many of them re-set settings to the default values.

"I even had data used while my devices were off and NOBODY was in my house! Amazing!!!"

Again, run a modem isolation test:

Take a screenshot of the status meter and note the time, then disconnect the LAN cable

Leave cable disconnected for a period of time (over night?)

Reconnect the cable, note the time and immediately take a screenshot of the status meter.

Post the "shutdown" screenshot and time

Post the "startup" screenshot and time

The Modes will then validate the usage and shutdown from the modems log indicating the 13.1.1 error the modem will generate from the LAN disconnection.

Here is the graphic showing the steps required:

astrideapp

I disabled my Windows updates (done by a professional not me) and uninstalled both McAfee and Chrome. The data usage on my desktop is nowhere near the data usage shown by HughesNet data meter (imagine that) and I have also unplugged my modem any time I am not in my office which eliminated the minute fraction of data that was utilized by my wireless phones. With now having my computer unprotected and still only checking email and paying bills, my data is still being used unreasonably fast. I purchased 2 tokens of 6Gb of data on Friday and with the drastic rationing measures I still have half of it left today. And I tried to take advantage of the "buy 2 get 1" promotion but the free token never came through. So my $80 plan is now up to over $200 and still climbing as the data left, even with rationing will not last through the 27th which is the end of my billing cycle. what a scam to drain the consumers bank account and misrepresent how Hughes actually pulls data so an "average" bill is in reality over $300.
Liz

Hi Carla,

Do you have your DirecTV connected to your internet?

-Liz

astrideapp

no I do not. My DirecTV has been here for over 11 years and is stand alone. I have my bill with my AT&T wireless bill but no linked services. And I do not even watch pay per view.
Liz

OK, so the entirety of your sales call was not available for review, which is not normal. You may refer to case 101435566 to call in to cancel without the ETF.

Thanks,
Liz

ryan.j.burg
New Poster

I couldn't agree with you more. I work from home half the time and they said it wouldn't be a problem and your internet will work great. I pay for Internet now but run out in about 3 days. I still have to go to a coffee shop to work. The bullshit they pull is ridiculous. I would never recommend Hughesnet to anyone.
astrideapp

it looks as if they have cut off my data. My data meter is showing usage daily through yesterday (normal) and there is no data available even though I paid for two tokens Friday and still have nearly 8Gb left.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Are astrideapp and Carla Lyle Peacock the same person? 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I'm confused who is who here.
GabeU

astrideapp,

Are you sure you have the option to share updates turned off?  That can be a huge data drain. 

astrideapp

I am actually going to try the business product. Different hours of availability, better more educated support. I am willing to give the other side a try. The guy I spoke with said the first thing they should have asked is how much data I use on my cell plan.
GabeU

Remember, the token data you buy doesn't get added to your Anytime data.  It gets added to the token bucket, which is drawn from when you are out of data.
GabeU

Same here.