more Gen5 misery in NorCal

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ColinH
Freshman

more Gen5 misery in NorCal

I've had Gen5 service for a few months in ZIP 95959 and download speeds have been glacial, ranging from below 1, often in low single digits, to the very rare 14. Never close to 25. Streaming isn't remotely feasible, though I was assured it would be.

I can post some download tests at a later date but my experiences match the others here. As an aside, requiring a speed test via a hardwire connection to a 5g wireless router is irritating. I know wireless devices have high variation in capability, but I've used WiFi for so long I don't even own an Ethernet cable anymore.

If this doesn't get remedied soon I plan to ask for a refund and to escape my contract.

Colin

Sat: Echo 19

Gateway: 8

Beam: 55

Outroute: 1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your patience. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ChaCha
Sophomore

The glaciers may be melting/moving faster that you with speeds <1. 🙂

ColinH
Freshman

Speeds the last 2 days have been <500 Kbps.

Hughesnet are you listening?

At some point we're going to organize and file complaints with the regulatory-agency-that-cannot-be-named or take more serious action.

New customer since October. Same situation here in the 93541 area of the eastern Sierras. I had to use my Verizon hotspot to reply to this post. Currently testing speed at 354k. Never gets much better. Service (lack of) is  not useable. What is going on Hughesnet? Sub 1k is a far cry from 25 !!!!

No response from Tech Support here or on Twitter.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@ColinH wrote:
No response from Tech Support here or on Twitter.

That's most likely due to Beam 55 having known issues that are being worked on.  There's really nothing they can do at this time, speed wise.  I'll tag the reps though as they may be able to do something for you in other ways. 

@Liz  @Amanda

@jezra

Jezra, you are the umpteenth person to report that HughesNet has oversold and overloaded the system. The lack of business integrity that represents is mind-boggling. They must be assuming that regulatory agencies will not hold them to account and that they can get away with it.

The forum software here actually will intercept and block any references that customers may make in a post to certain remedies that would hold HughesNet to account. We must not be intimidated.

Because a number of customers have reported that tech support told them that HughesNet has oversold the system, it would seem that the engineers are in rebellion. We want them on our side, though management will almost certainly take steps to squelch their engineers and "discipline" them if they tell customers that HughesNet oversold the service.

Please stay in the forum, and don't give up.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your patience. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Tech came out today and pointed our dish to a different satellite. Speeds now approaching 27 Mbps!! So much better. Thanks Liz for helping. 

Tech said he does this all day long in my area.

Glad to hear it Colin! Thank you for letting us know you're getting good speeds now. Please don't hesitate to drop by the community if you have other concerns.

Liz

Hi Colin,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.