Hughesnet Community

my internet is really slow

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
claytonashley14

my internet is really slow

hello, i have just installed the new HT1100 and ungraded my service plan to the prime plus. My data just reset to 10 bytes then 5 or 6 days later it is completely gone. Now my internet is slower than it has ever been. usually when my data runs out it is faster than it is now. Why did my data run out so fast. Why is my internet so slow. I have smart browsing and the web browsing is not at normal speed. I need more data for what am paying. When my 2 year contract ends i'm getting Exede internet and droping Hughes net.
15 REPLIES 15
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

You have hit FAP(Fair Access Policy), which reduces speeds to 150KB/s roughly, a far way from upto 10,000KB/s that you could see on select plans.

Even with SmartBrowse on a service plan, if you are constantly trying to download/upload/stream or browse numerous websites at one time you could be throttled down to 150KB/s temporarily.  SmartBrowse is meant to let you load one or two websites at a higher speed, but websites with a lot of graphics or large amounts of java or flash animation will probably load a bit slower.

If you need more data, you can either upgrade your service plan, or, purchase tokens at http://supportcenter.myhughesnet.com 

As for exede, if you find 10GB isn't enough on Hughesnet, then 10GB on Exede would not be enough either.  10GB is 10GB, no matter which way you look at it.
claytonashley14

but exede is supposed to be faster and i want to know why my data has been taken away so fast. hughes net says it is up to 10 mbps but they just say that. exede offers up to 12 mbps or more for all plans. 
Kristine Caggia

How does one need to configure their system to improve speed? I have one laptop and one smart phone on wifi yet it took 2 hours to download iTunes. Can't even get the individual songs I purchased to download. I'm actually thinking it's cheaper to ship my computer from home instead of trying to download
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Kristine,
First thing to do is plug a single computer directly into the modem, no router, and see if the speed is better. This will help to determine if the router or computer is misconfigured.

Clayton, you'll find the same kinds of problems on the Exede forum. Also they don't have service in many areas that HughesNet does. Plus they are generally quite a bit more expensive than HughesNet. You could switch if you feel the grass is greener over there.

Finally, it is a metered/capped service and must be monitored and manged just like cell phone data. Do you have an ad blocker installed on your browsers?
Kristine Caggia

Kristine Caggia

Kristine Caggia

Kristine Caggia

These are with laptop plugged directly into modem.
Kristine Caggia

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Should start your own post to get better individualized help instead of being mixed in with Clayton's. Are the two boxes at the top of the page green when you go here:  http://192.168.0.1/ ?
theorileys

Identical experience to mine, and for the record Exede's revolution plan SMOKES Hughesnet "smart browsing"
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Like I said, you have used all your monthly data allowance... Upgrade to a larger plan or purchase tokens.

10GB divided by 30 days leaves you with 333~ MB worth of data for each day, which can easily be consumed as you have noted, especially if you do any form of streaming video such as youtube, or netflix.

As far as knowing why your data was taken away... ask your self, and family members?
Chris11
Alum

Hi clayton,

I'm glad you received the new modem and were able to get it registered successfully. Just make sure you remember to return the older HT1000 modem using the return label provided with the box.  As far as speeds go. We'll need some tests so we can see exactly what you are experiencing.

Please head over to www.testmy.net make sure to only use 12 MB as the test size, then run a set of 3-5 tests throughout the day and post your results. Since you have already used up your data allowance, I have added some token bandwidth to you account so that you can run these tests while not throttled. Depending on your results we can get our engineers involved to directly work on your site. We hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
toxicblonde

10 was a joke to us too. I had to go to their highest and it's 25 and it doesn't last long with 3 kids. I wish they had more options. We had exede and hated them, they are a joke too. Unfortunately, I live out in the country so our choices is limited. Only 1 mile down the road everyone gets to go through a local company and they get unlimited for way less than Hughes charges for 25.
Byron McCrosky

2amto8am is free so y is this shot so slow