cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my latency is extremely high, why?

my latency is extremely high, why?

My latency/ping is clocking around 650ms on speedtest and while gaming. I've reset the router and modem, moved closer to the router, and nothing has changed. Is there anyway I can lower my ping?
9 REPLIES 9
Assistant Professor

Re: my latency is extremely high, why?

We already replied to your other post here: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/why-is-my-internet-so-slow-v1kdk
With satellite the ping will always be at least about 600ms and higher. If you under about 750ms you are doing good. The signal has to travel 22K miles up and down twice.
Highlighted

Yes, your ping is normal, only way to lower that would be to move closer to the satellite
New Poster

Actually 650 is pretty good for satellite. if you figure you signal goes 22k miles to the bird then another 22k back to the ground NOC then 22k back up to the bird then another 22k back down to you 650ms is pretty quick
Assistant Professor

Yea, lucky chosen child me gets 650-690 regularly. Smiley Happy
New Poster

I hear yea, lol Smiley Happy
Assistant Professor

Feeling especially ornery tonight:

Associate Professor

Like we said, you will always see high latency over satellite due to the distance.  Here is about a weeks worth of ping results, requests are done every 2 seconds, this this graph is fairly accurate.
New Poster

Alum

Hello Evan,

Thanks for the post. I hope all who have chimed in here have answered your question.
Please let us know if your having any other concerns.

- Warren