Hughesnet Community

'new' 6.5.2 HughesNet Status Meter isn't working in Win10.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bwbalint

'new' 6.5.2 HughesNet Status Meter isn't working in Win10.

'new' 6.5.2 HughesNet Status Meter isn't working in Win10. The old one worked fine. Now with the new, I see the major headings, but no detailed information. the entire box is just blank. When I click on the major headings, 'loading' appears, then stops, but NO information is seen. Blank. There is no way to buy more tokens, as nothing shows up. I have reinstalled this twice, with the same results. Thanks for the help.
26 REPLIES 26
Sally Thomas

The "new" meter does not work for Vista either. I am angry when I get emails from Hughesnet offering free token when purchasing two...but ONLY for those special people who have the "new meter".  I find this very offensive as I usually run out of the stingy 10 gig allowance a few days before the end of the month.  I have NEVER streamed a movie, or even been able to view YouTube or other videos without sacrificing what little bandwidth I am allowed.  I even stopped updating Windows updates last year.  I hate Hughesnet, but I have no other choice where I live.
foxbrook
Sophomore

On 3 of my 4 Win10 machines the new status meter runs fine. On my 4th this is what I get:

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling and clearing the appdata folder and still the same thing. I think I have to go back to the old status meter until this is fixed.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It won't work on 32-bit systems, if that is what OP and Sally have.
Sherri Rankin J

It doesn't work on one of my two computers either. And yes all my computers are 64 bit.
Liz

Good morning bwbalint,

Welcome and thanks for posting. We certainly want to dig into this deeper. Can you please post screenshots of your Status Meter?

Before installing the Status Meter, did you uninstall the old Status Meter first?

In the meantime, you can still purchase tokens via the Support Center. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

Hi Sherri,

Was the previous Status Meter uninstalled before installing the latest version?

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

piddledink
Freshman

This version, 6.5.2, works just fine on my Wife's log-in on our desktop computer, but only works once on my log-in.  The difference is that my Desktop is set to 125% and hers is set to 150%.  Could this be a "resolution" problem?
bwbalint

The 'old' working meter was uninstalled first. Here is a screen shot of the HughesNet Status Meter.  
bwbalint

I changed my settings to 150%, but the Status meter is still blank.  I will restart the computer at 150% and see if that does anything.  Thanks.  
bwbalint

Restarting the computer and with font sizes at '150%' , the HughesNet Status Meter appears as it should with all functionality including the 'buy 2 get 1 free' token offer.  Changing it back to 125% shows the HughesNet Status Meter blank.  

I don't consider this a resolution to the resolution issue, but it looks like for the time being I will need to switch back and forth to get any benefit from the HughesNet Status Meter.  While I wouldn't mind some things being 150% bigger, I dont really like the font sizes at 150%.  

Thanks for sharing.  I think this should give HughesNet a solid direction at which to explore this issue, if they choose to even look at it seriously.  
Liz

That is fascinating, thank you for testing this out and letting us know the results. I agree, this not a solution, just a workaround. I'll send your findings up to our devs.

Thank you again!

-Liz

foxbrook
Sophomore

I found the same thing. My default resolution was 125%. I changed it to 100% logged out/ in (didn't reboot) and the status meter displayed normally. Then I adjusted the resolution back up to 125% without signing out/in and it continued to display normally. Looks like the status meter suffers from the problem this article discusses: http://www.infoworld.com/article/2952506/microsoft-windows/high-resolution-displays-reveal-windows-1...
piddledink
Freshman

Hey, I am glad that my "weird" situation at least temporarily helped.  I hesitated to chime in because it did seem strange.  Thanks, foxbrook, having that link helps me to understand the "possible" cause, I have been scratching my head on this for several days - thanks.
Sally Thomas

No, mine is a 64 bit system.  I don't have any issue with the "old" meter, except I get upset when I get emails from Hughesnet offering free token with purchase of 2, but ONLY for those with the "new" meter...which won't install/work. I jumped through all the hoops to try to install the new one...but since I see nothing impressive about it anyway, I went back to the old one.  If it aint broke, don't fix it.  I wish Hughesnet would get that mindset. LOL.  Take car BirdDog. I appreciate your assistance, as usual.
piddledink
Freshman

Hello, I just tried setting the "compatibility" of the Status Meter's Shortcut to run as "Windows 8" and it seems to work, for now at least.  Give the Compatibility settings a try before giving up.
foxbrook
Sophomore

Nice find. That worked for me too.
Liz

Thank you for this feedback, I will send this to our devs.

bwbalint

Changing compatibility to Win 8 also worked and the new HughesNet Status Meter is appearing. We will see how this goes over shutdown and restarting.
mmthomas54

My experience is similar to that of bwbalint: I click on the Hughesnet meter and the little circle goes around and around, as if it is loading, and then it simply quits.  Nothing happens.  I get no box or anything promised by this app.  I had a chat with your on-line people, but she was confused and not helpful.
Liz

Hi mmthomas54,

Did you check the rest of the thread? Folks found that adjusting the resolution/zoom in your Win10 settings made the Status Meter display properly. Another working suggestion, from piddledink: "setting the "compatibility" of the Status Meter's Shortcut to run as "Windows 8" and it seems to work, for now at least.  Give the Compatibility settings a try before giving up."

Hope that helps!

-Liz