cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new customer on hughsnet using Netflix.

new customer on hughsnet using Netflix.

I have had this service for a week. I find it to be very good. We stream Netflix from 2 different rooms at the same time with no problems. I know we have hit our data cap by now but still works fine. With Netflix I think the trick is to go into settings and set the quality to .3 gigs per hour. Even when hughsnet slows to 1 megabyte per second it still streams seamlessly. We live in the mid south and our experience may differ from people that live in more populated areas but my service has been awesome so far.
12 REPLIES 12
New Poster

Re: new customer on hughsnet using Netflix.

Billy Im glad to hear that your able to use netfix even after hitting your cap but keep in mind that once you run out of anytime data then you will run on whats called token bytes if you have any, also when your grace period is over you will find that your FAP speed will be closer to no higher than 150Kbps.

I don't know how true it is but I was told by the hughsnet rep that after the high speed cap is reached I would have 1 megabyte per second for the rest of the month. Was that a straight up lie? I don't know but we will see. And what is this grace period you spoke of?
New Poster

I have heard of some getting 1 week and some getting a couple of weeks and some that didnt get any, but what they have done for some was refill every night but I dont know if they still do that or not, but if you read the fine print of the contract it states during FAP which is when you run out of your anytime data and or your bonus bytes and your token bytes then your speed will be reduced to up to 150Kbps
Assistant Professor

Billy, once you use up your allowance the best you will get is 150Kbps not 1Mbps. The grace period is around 4 days after starting new service and an unlimited allowance before allowance cap kicks in.

Assistant Professor

Was typing my response when you posted.
New Poster

he said megabyte, not megabit, lol wouldnt that be a sweet speed for FAP Smiley Happy
Assistant Professor

Beyond sweet.
Highlighted

So if I've done my math right the throttled speed is only about 128k p/s? Well I guess that's slightly better than dial up at 52k p/s.
New Poster

true but painful after running full speed then hitting a wall.