Hughesnet Community

new customer, unhappy want to cancel, but they say i am stuck in contract.. help?!?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gpreine

new customer, unhappy want to cancel, but they say i am stuck in contract.. help?!?

OK, so I have no other option for internet at my home other than satelite or cell service. I was told when I signed up for this service that NetFlix would run normally even once my "preferred Data Allowance" was used up. The first month of service, we used it for the ps3, ps4, laptop and both cell phones, all the time and it worked beautifully until about 6 days before it was renewal time. So, upset and angry that we were lied to , we figured we would continue service (since we really only want it for netflix) i took both cellphones off the wifi, and the ps4. not even a full week into our 2nd month, we are out of data and it would not stream netflix. now, I want you to understand that during this week period, we did not use netflix, it was only my wife on the laptop checking email and some facebook. We got to watch 2.75 episodes of walking dead on net flix befoire it quit working. I called in and she said we had been using the data more than we realized.. so, we put a password on the router. (tech should have done this when he set it up) and we got 4 more gigs of data. watched 3 episodes of walking dead. and we are almost out again?!?!?! i am streaming in SD, and nothing else was on the wifi except netflix during the period after we got the 4 gigs. this service will not last us a week, more or less a month. and I do not see paying $80 a month, plus $10 to netflix, to watch 5 episodes of anything a month. What are my options for getting out of this contract??? 
99 REPLIES 99
deepdiver1
Sophomore

Good point.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

And priorities. A person could watch about 25 hours of low def per month and still have plenty left to do basic things on a 10 GB Anytime plan.
deepdiver1
Sophomore

Does the size of the TV enter into the perceived quality? I think it does.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yes, but we have no problem with the appearance in 32" TV, laptops and tablets.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Only to this extent:
Take a "regular" TV and a standard def picture .....
525 horizontal can lines, about 485 of them visible. If you view that picture on a small screen, say a 20" it will be nice and "tight".

If you view that same picture on a 55" TV, the same number of pixals are used to paint the image and the picture will start to breakdown as the individual pixals become visible.
deepdiver1
Sophomore

Thank you. I should have did that analysis, just lazy. So my smart 70" HDTV wouldn't look very good at SD. I don't think my BW would like watching over my shoulder on my 19" monitor.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, in that case SD isn't going to look good at all. I'd stick with DVDs also.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Much of that is going to be dependent on IF and how well the dvd/bu player upconverts.
gpreine

hi chris, thanks for not being helpful. If you had taken the time to read my entire post you may have seen that I have already taken steps to minimize data usage. My main complaint at this point, is that I was lied to when I signed up, and I feel like I am stuck in an agreement that I did not agree to...

gpreine

Amanda, none of those points were told to me. Again, as I stated, I was told that I would be able to watch Netflix no problem regardless of how much, or any, data I had left. I specifically asked how I would use  Netflix if I was out of data, this was the only reason I purchased the system, he told me that it would still work and would just buffer a little. Not that it would just constantly buffer. Again, I used Netflix for 3 weeks solid my first month, among other data using items, like updating the ps4 which had been offline for about 4 months and everything needed updating, and had not issues unti I started into my second month. I was led to believe that my data would last that long every month, not be gone 6 days into my second month. So obviously there is something in the first month of service that allows you more usage to keep people from backing out of the contract during the first 30 days.

gpreine

why was this not told to me!!!! I was out of data day one of the 10 days then!!!!!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I agree it is very deceptive if the customer is not aware of it. However, you didn't notice the usage meters resetting daily on a monthly capped service? I did when I got Gen4 service and asked about it.

They are failing big time informing new customers about the grace period. Does make even me think it could be deliberate. 
ljaj2008
Freshman

Ask.the moderators to pull and review your original sales call. They are recorded.
deepdiver1
Sophomore

I did. looks great even if its an old DVD only movie, but better in BluRay.
deepdiver1
Sophomore

The problem is the sales people, many of which, are only interested in a sale. Maybe Hughes should take the initiative and either have the installer go thru a script/explanation; or send a welcome package/letter explaining all of this in the first week.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It's been brought up numerous times yet it appears there are still many new customers who are never informed of critical details when the system is installed.
Alan Thompson (Champion) runs his installation company the way every installer should. His operation should be used as the example for them all.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I know, "Its" not "It's", brain farts. While I'm at it change "example" to "model" in last sentence.  🙂

Stupid site won't allow editing more than once it seems or it just doesn't like me today.
gpreine

i didnt pay attention to the usage meter until after i ran out of data the first night trying to watch netflix during my second month. After the way it worked fine the first month I assumed that I would be fine the first 3 weeks, just like I was the first month. And this is why we took measures to reduce data usage, hoping to capture a whole month of evening tv show watching. the sales rep told me it work the whole month, so why would I think otherwise? 
gpreine

The lady on the phone said they didnt have it. I already went that route. I'm just stuck with the service, so I will be paying $80 a month so we can look at facebook on the laptop as well i guess... I was hesitant to sign up for this service to begin with. now I really regret it. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

So you have other options for internet service? Also, you have to watch the usage meters, it is essential on a capped data plan to keep track of where you are with usage.
Chris11
Alum

Hi gpreine,

In your original post I saw that you mentioned using SD definition for Netflix as a tactic to help you make your data allowance last. However there are many other things you can do which is why I provided you with that information. With that said I will be doing a sales call review of your interaction, and if you were in fact misled then we'll see what we can do for you. Once I receive a response I will post back with an update. We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we help to address your concerns.

Thank you,
Chris