cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new customer, unhappy want to cancel, but they say i am stuck in contract.. help?!?

Re: new customer, unhappy want to cancel, but they say i am stuck in contract.. help?!?

I am also a very unhappy customer and feel as though I was completely misled.  First, I don't use Netflix, I don't stream anything, etc.  I previously paid a local internet company $45.00 a month for unlimited internet.  It was very slow, and sadly, that is why I made the switch to hughesnet. (Comcast is not available to me because I live on a farm.)  All the advertising on TV about how fast hughesnet is, etc. lured me in.  I did not understand the fact that everything I tried to do through the internet was using up my data, ie, facebook, sending pictures to a store to be developed, etc.  When I was asked if I do any "streaming" and said no, I was assured my plan would be sufficient for my needs.  Wow! Was that a crock!!! Currently, I don't even turn my computer on more than once a day, just to check my email. Then I shut it down.  I do a lot of shopping on line, especially at the holidays, and now I can't imagine how much data that will use.  So, as with sending my pictures for printing, I will set my alarm and get up at 3:00 AM so I can do my shopping during my "2:00-8:00 AM bonus allowance" time.  Needless to say, in two years, when my contract is up, I'm "outta here!!"  On top of all of that, the support calls -- wow!!! About as frustrating as it gets.  I can't understand anyone I've ever spoken with; and most of the time, they have no clue on how to help. 

Honorary Alumnus

Re: new customer, unhappy want to cancel, but they say i am stuck in contract.. help?!?

Arnoldacres ,
I would suggest that you connect a single computer directly to the modem and download and install Glasswire and see just what program or process is using your data.
https://www.glasswire.com

no i do not, other than our cell phones. 

"The customer follows up this statement by asking about the data allowance since they primarily do Netflix.  The agent responds, “At that point, it’s just a difference in your speed.  There would never be a difference in your price, but your speeds will throttle back."  and he said it would continue to work when I point blank asked him if it would. go back and listen to it again. I never listened to the t+c, because you dont have a choice but to accept them either way. you ever read googles t+c, or the t+c for the usage of your cell phone? Or windows for that matter... You guys are extremely good at avoiding answering any question directly, as I have commented many times to the CSR's on the phone. So, here I am, calcualting that my netflix usage alone would be 150 gigs a month. And you guys just want me to change my plan. what plan is going to work for me? In my call I told the guy I had a budget, remember? 

i didnt ignore it, he lied to me. And I wish I had recorded the call, because he point blank told me that it would continue to work after my data was up. 
Assistant Professor

My point is that you either learn to manage the data and get the most from it, remain very frustrated or cancel service.
There are folks here that will be happy to help you if you'd like.

Gwalk900, Champion - I have no other choice. But thanks for making me sound like an a$$hole when I was the one lied to. 

Charles R. Scott, Champion - i did as much research as I could. This is why I made 6 phone calls over a 2 month period to this company and excede, and I went with hughes net because they told me "it simply slows down, everything still works"

But thanks for the support... 

why not post the recording so we can make up our own minds? the lady on the phone said the data was corrupt and they couldnt pull it, so I'm curious as to how you can listen to it.... 
Honorary Alumnus

"Gwalk900, Champion - I have no other choice. But thanks for making me sound like an a$$hole when I was the one lied to."

Honestly, lets get real here:

Lied too and "understanding" are entirely two different things.

A Sat connection has limits, very real limits. Most of those limitations are hardware related (Satellite/Gateway throughput capacity)

When you select a plan level you "buy" a block of data .... not minutes, not hours ... data, measured in Mb's/Gb's. Its like buying gasoline for your car ... you buy 20 gallons and you use those 20 gallons ... you effectively "run out of gas", you stop.

In the case of Hughes, you are throttled (FAPPED) to a very slow speed. The more "connections" you have at any given moment, the slower each of those connected functions will be.

A salesman has no idea as to the "condition" of each of your computers and individual connected devices, be they wired or wireless, nor has he a clue as to the type of router or its settings you may have in place (B,G,N,AC, QoS enabled/disabled)

YOU may think the only thing going on, on your computer is what YOU see or APPEAR to have open or running but in truth a SINGLE computer has 65,536 comm ports that can "back channel" communicate and those will not only chew up your DATA but will appear to make your "known" programs and processes run slowly because your "data inlet pipe" can only pass just so much bandwidth at a given moment.

Now here IS the point .....

If you have another ISP option .... cancel Hughesnet and take the alternative. If you have no other option, there are a large number of things to do that will limit data usage.

Alum

Hi gpreine,

We cannot post the recording itself. Our call centers have no reason to lie to us. I posted exactly what they sent me. I asked for all relevant information pertaining to your concerns and at no point did our agent insinuate what you described. 

- Chris