cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new customer, unhappy want to cancel, but they say i am stuck in contract.. help?!?

Associate Professor

Re: new customer, unhappy want to cancel, but they say i am stuck in contract.. help?!?

Research doesn't include calling the salesman... It includes researching the technology online, and by word of mouth from people not affiliated with the company your looking at.  Salesmen at all companies are trained to sugarcoat things, and get by the skin of their teeth to stay legal, and ensure just the right information is delivered.
Assistant Professor

Re: new customer, unhappy want to cancel, but they say i am stuck in contract.. help?!?

Said it before, ever notice how big the burgers are in TV commercials and how the chicken is coming out of the top of the bucket?

New car salesmen are as shady as used car salesmen IMO.

Not really defending HughesNet sales practices, just saying it is kind of the norm these days. Buyer beware....... research, research, research.

It looks like this when you bring it home?

More like this:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

PS: In 10+ years with them I have been mostly satisfied. A few bumps along the way but always were fixed. Never had cable internet, only dial-up, satellite and recently a bit of hotspot on my phone.

We have the same issue and were told that we would have no problems since I advised that we watched Netflix all the time as it is our only "tv". Talk about lying through their teeth.

gpreine, I went thru the same thing on my first month. I was thinking this was the best thing every! I live out in the boonies, not much internet option, which hughesnet knows we are their only customers. That is why they lure us in, give extra data the first month and boom!! you are stuck!  when I've called into customer service for no service or super slow, they blame it on weather issues in AZ, I'm in TEXAS!  And then they blame my computer! This last time I stated NOT COMPUTER EITHER!!  Brand new iMac!! Try your next cue card please! I have to reboot my modem every week now. I have it directly hooked up to desktop no wifi, and it is a pain to deal with. There is a reset on the modem, you have to HUNT for it. A Tech guy came to my house and this is one thing he showed me. I have to talk with customer service weekly now. Some days I go 3-4 days in a row. I've been with them for like 6 mos, has been a nightmare every since the start of the 2nd month.  

being a cars salesman in the industry for about 7 years now. I actually take offense to being grouped in with lying theives that call themselves sales people. If you are in any kind of sales position, and are a professional about it. You dont have to lie. The key to long term sales success actually is in telling the truth and giving a strong presentation of your product. 

BTW, my complaint with the FCC only netted me 10 tokens, a guaranteed $10 off the 50 gig service if I decide to stay with the company, (for the entire contract period) or they will split the cancelation fee with me. 

6 days into month 3 and we have already used 30% of the 50 gigs... sigh... 
Freshman

Do you know what you are doing to use so much data? Maybe its time to get help controlling your usage. Downloading/watching video is the usual issue.

We use it to stream music movies game online you name it. I am use to having a 25/5 connection from COX that has no data cap. so why should i have to control my usage? its not a real thing that has to be controlled. Gas consumption, alcohol intake, fat intake, how much sugar my kids eat,  these are the things I am concerned with. not if my 3 year old toddler watched more than his allotted share of kids learning shows. kids dont want to hear that we ran out of data. you say get help like i should need it. what, am is hughes net the new Internet Addicts Anonymous now? 
Honorary Alumnus

Well the reality is ......

You used  to have cable and now you don't

Now you have a system with data caps so it becomes necessary to monitor and control your rate of usage.

To that end there are three different usage meters, there are browser extensions that will block the data used by ads and scripts. There are download manager programs available that will allow you to automate the process of downloading large files during the Bonus Bytes period.

Assistant Professor

And internet is not considered either a critical or public utility. Everyone is at the mercy of what, if anything, is available in their area. I'm glad HughesNet is available where I live, in the boonies.

Plus data is a real thing, it would be impossible to use it if it weren't. Like saying oxygen isn't real.

I read the same thing over and over that has happened to me.  First month was great, plenty of data and no problems.  Second month, my data went faster than I could imagine and I'm almost out with 8 days to go.  I called and asked how much I used the first month and was told that they had no way of tracking that.  It's also not on my bill and I can't find it on the Hugesnet site.  I'm going to hook ATT back up so I have internet when I run out of data.  I have the highest package, so I have no choice but to buy more data at bloated prices or forget the internet.   I don't even consider streaming netflix or hooking my Directv back up to the wireless.  Buying a smart TV would be out of the question now. I guess I will stick out the year and pray that U-verse is available.  I read pages of terrible reviews before I got the service, so I have no one to blame but myself.