cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no signal after lightning strike

Highlighted

no signal after lightning strike

I have a HN7000S modem installed 4 years ago. On Saturday, we had a couple of lightning strikes at our house which took out three electrical transformers, one which needed to be replaced. The power was out for about 2.5 hours. At the same time my HughesNet quit working. Now I have no signal. The modem, which is plugged into a surge suppressor, has the top two lights blinking. When I unplug it and plug it in, the bottom two lights come on temporarily. There is no physical evidence of damage. I am in Interior Alaska. The closest technician is over fifty miles away.  I use a Mac with MacOS 10.11.6.
Is there a way to troubleshoot the HughesNet system myself?
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Re: no signal after lightning strike

Not really much in any way you can troubleshoot, judging by what you said, it could be that the ODU or cables between are burned out....

Do you have a recent case number, serial number, or SiteID that you can share? (Please don't post the SAN)
Highlighted

Hello aamcdonald,

Welcome to our community. I was able to locate your account using your e-mail address on your profile and see that you already have a technician visit scheduled. Judging by your explanation of what you are experiencing, the only way to resolve this would be to have a technician come out and first test your coaxial wiring to make sure it is still OK, the grounding wires are still connected and your other equipment healthy. 

However, if there is issues getting a tech out as I understand Alaska is one of the harder places to get technicians out - if you have any trouble scheduling or covering cost, please let me know.

Thank you
Amanda
Highlighted
New Poster

I had this same issue just a few weeks ago.  Lightening strike very close by....unknown where.  But hughesnet was down....no data at all...or at times I was getting a very weak signal but not good enough to open any webpages.  So I call tech support.  A check of the system revealed my dish was out of alignment....went out at the exact time of the storm and lightening.  I know who my local service tech is so gave him a call.  Would you believe the POLE in the ground was thrown out of alignment.  Once he reset the pole and realigned dish all was well again.  I was like hallelujah..that was so easy.