cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not enough data

Highlighted

not enough data

I was told when we signed up that 50gb was more than enough for watching netflix. We don't have cable or satellite tv, just netflix. We used all 50 gb in two and a half weeks!! And 50gb between 2am and 8am?? Who uses the Internet at those times?? Such bullshit! I will gladly pay the cancellation fee once comcast becomes available. This is the worst service ever. The billing isn't up to date. I paid the bill and it still shows that I owe two months. And don't ever pay your bill on the website. I did that and got suckered into auto pay, got bounced checks because of it, because they took the money out of my account three days after I had just paid the bill!! Wouldn't do anything to help me either!! The worst one was me trying to take my cc off the account, but they wouldn't do it cuz my boyfriend was the main account holder. It's my freakin cc!! So if we broke up he could still have the bill charged to my cc?? That is total BS!! Like I said, worst company and customer service ever!!
40 REPLIES 40
Highlighted
Alum

Re: not enough data

Hi Shelly,

I see this is your first post so welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear you expectations are not being met. We'd like to help address your concerns, however we need a bit more information. How many users are in your home. Are you using a router to connect to the internet? There are countless factors that can possibly using data when you are not aware. Here are a few tips to get you started on managing your data usage. 

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Chris

Highlighted

Welcome to my world - I am actually married to my account holder, have been put on the account as account administrator, and (since we do not have our phone connected yet) when I tried contacting HN to tell them thank you for the years of service but we are no longer connected to their satellite, they told me the same thing - that they could not cancel our service until my husband called them. I sent them an angry reply, and we have not called them yet - we have had huge financial problems, and we currently do NOT have a phone. I am pretty much homebound, and getting us away from home at the same time to a telephone is next to impossible, so until I get the money to buy a phone, then make the phone call, I guess HN will continue charging me for services I am not using? I would really like to see how much data they show I used this month since I am not even connected to the satellite anymore. I was happy with Hughes Net (knowing its limitations) for 6 years. But this last year has been HELL. We upgraded and tried to actually USE the service, and I got a great amount of information about how (in other words) you cannot use it for much of anything unless you wait until 2 a.m. I started doing that, by the way at the very end, and I actually used all of the "free" time. How is that even possible? My bill climbed up to over $200 purchasing extra tokens. I can only imagine what kind of bill I have now. I am afraid to look. They do NOT have permission to take money out of my account, and I do not make enough to pay them what they are going to charge me (all at once). I will get absolutely no help, either, since when I upgraded I obviously entered into another contract and it is not up yet. I had no other problems with HN. I was able to use their service uninterrupted for 6 years with no service calls to my home, no real technical problems, just not enough data the last year. So I ask you, why can't I close the account? HMMM? My name is on there. I have been disconnected since 08/11/15 and I am mad as hell. This is not right. I tried very hard to be a good customer. Even my satellite TV was more understanding than HN. They sent me boxes to return their equipment postage paid. I still owe them money, and I will pay them when I can, but they were like, no problem, Mrs. Fields. What is the BIG deal? I am so angry.
Highlighted

I am also on the account as an administrator, but my boyfriend told them I could do anything I wanted touch the account. They told me I could do anything except cancel the account. Have yoy asked to take the cc off file? And take your account off auto pay. I cannot wait until I can cancel these guys.
Highlighted

We have three smartphones, and two laptops. The laptops are always off, so it's just the phones that are connected. And most of the time no one is home during the day. Nothing else is wifi. We have a wireless router, but if no one is home and everything is turned off then it shouldn't pull internet. I did change the streaming on netflix to sd, and that didn't make a difference. Everything you've suggested, I've already done. I also have the stays meter, which I monitor. I've had internet through other companies and didn't have a limit on usage. I told you guys that we didn't have tv and we watched netflix and hulu and was told that 50gb was more than enough. And it obviously wasn't enough. For example, I watch two episodes on hulu most mornings, and that data plan is almost gone. So I hardly use the main data plan, that gets used mostly for Facebook and surfing the web, and I've only got about 19gb left. I can only imagine if I used the main data for netflix. The first month we used all 50gb in two and half weeks!! Why don't you guys just make the data unlimited like everyone else???
Highlighted
New Poster

I dont know of anyone that truly offers unlimited data, they all have data caps but some are higher than others and then you are throttled to a much slower speed
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

I tried Hulu and found it won't let me reduce the definition, always streamed in HD. Was over a year ago, maybe they now have a setting. You do know HD can use anywhere between 3-6 GB per hour depending on the site?
Have the 50/50 myself and piratically never stream anything in HD.

You were misled if told you can stream as much as you want even with the Ultra plan.
Highlighted
Sophomore

2 hours of Hulu every day?  Yeah I don't think that's going to work out too well.  Unfortunately when you have satellite internet there's a LOT of stuff you have to do without.  That is just the way it is, currently.  It is unfortunate, but it's better than dialup.  Streaming video on satellite is just laughable to me.  Especially if it's a daily thing.

The worst problem with Hulu is the ads.  When the adverts come on, they are delivered in the freaking most highest definition on the planet.  I'm convinced this is because the whiny advertisers complained to Hulu and demanded that their precious ads are always shown in high quality.
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

I and my wife stream quite a bit on low definition with Netflix. Wasn't a problem even when I had lower plan. You can laugh while I'm enjoying my movie.  Smiley Happy

Also believe it can take 24 hours for any change in setting with Netflix to take affect.
Highlighted

I totally agree with ShellyLynn.  I've been a customer for 13 months now and I only used the service on the second month and found that I used up ALL of my data plan in the first 5 days - yes - thats is not a typo - 5 days of a 30 day plan and now I'm throttled down to basically nothing for the rest of the month.  Needless to say - I tried to cancel the subscription - but they stated - oh boo hoo for you - you only get 30 day noticed.  Well I bought the home in June 2014, had Hughesnet installed in June and didn't actually move in until late July - of which I finally got my first real usage bill showing me that I've used up the 30 Gb plan in 5 days!  WOW!  This product REALLY sucks!!  recently had an opportunity to lower my monthly costs from $74 to $45 - and I have 10 months to go on my termination process - where I'm not charged a fee.

Yes - I do live in the country and don't have access to cable, fiber or even DSL over a phone line.  But found a great microwave product that works like heaven and has unlimited data usage - thank god for that.