cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not enough data

Re: not enough data

That time may not literally be free, but during my whole time with HN (until Spring 2015) I paid over $100 a month and never touched the bonus bytes, ever. Only from approximately Spring of 2015 until 08/11/15 did I try to utilize the service for anymore bandwidth. I never ran out - very, very rarely. I upgraded immediately when I realized the situation. So I should say I had paid for all that time and then some by never using it all those years.  I mean, heck, you pay THAT much for the service, then you expect to get some use out of it whether it's after midnight or when, but you expect to get to use the darn thing. The most this service was used was for transferring Word documents and wav files back and forth and 20 GB was really too much for that, and of course Facebook. I never was a big YouTube person. However, when I could no longer afford satellite TV, and I realized that the web could and should be utilized, only then did I realize what all that was about. My ignorance is not HN's fault, but it is to their advantage, and everyone reading this should be able to see that. I am a layman's terms kind of person, and you do your job and I'll do mine kinda thing. That's all.

sorry Gwalk900 I only just now read your comment, and I appreciate the run-down. Makes sense based on my usage over the last 6 years and the upgrade this past year. My question to you is this? Why are you not employed by HN and why aren't you the salesperson for this service? It would be greatly improved by your knowledge and your breakdown/explanation of types of plans. I know there is a mass "suck-em-in" commercial, but you are the only one to ever try to break this down in terms which I could understand. I realize now the problems I had with my satellite service the first few years I ended up (with my work techs) figuring out on my own and that the reps on the phone had NO idea what I was talking about. You, on the other hand, do. And I feel you should, sincerely, get paid for your education of customers. It took me what 3 days since original comment to find your answer - not because I am stupid but because this is a community forum where your valid, helpful answer gets lost by the wayside. They could truly be a good service with a little more customer service as you just provided. You might not mind providing it for free, but that does nothing to solve the customer service relationship with HN. Just my opinion, and we all know what those are. Thank you.

I feel I manage my data usage just fine thank you.  I do most of my streaming at around 6am before I go to work.  That way the day time data is available for other things.  Very, very seldom does the day time data get used for Netflix, or hulu. Only towards the end of the billing cycle does it get used.  Like today for instance.  I had 34% left, so I watched two movies with my daughter on Netflix.  My data resets on the 25th.  I went from 34% to 24% after watching two movies.  Since getting hughesnet, we have cut back on our Netflix and hulu watching tremendously, only because we have no choice.  Even watching only 2 episodes of a tv show most days, my bonus data is down to less than 40%.  Imagine what it would be if I watched more than that?  My point is, I was told that 50gb was "more than enough" to watch nothing but Netflix!  They guy obviously lied to me, because its not.  I think they tell you "oh, that's more than enough for what you do" is just so you will sign up.  As soon as another option for internet becomes available to me, I am out of here.  I will gladly pay the early termination fee to cancel! This company sucks!!
Assistant Professor

Again, you are streaming in too high a definition if dropped 10 percent on two movies. That is 5 GB and I can watch about 7 hours at standard definition and about 16 hours on low definition which is fine for me.

Simply can not stream in HD at 1080i or 720p if you don't want to eat through data like you are experiencing. Personally don't even do 360p if there is a lower option. I find Netflix is quite viewable at low setting on 32" TV and lower size devices.

We too use up all the data very quickly, and cannot even get the on demand with Directv to work as the service is too slow.  We did a test with just a laptop connected to the hughesnet modem HT1100 and found that upload or downloading is not steady.  It continues to loose the signal and restart all the time, of course every time it does this it adds up as bandwidth used.  For example 100 Mb file never finished with hughes net even after 8 hours, but said we used over 8Gb of data/bandwidth.  Downloading was a little better but took 3 hours and said it was just over 3Gb used.  Tried the same from my Verizon hotspot and the up and download was extremely quick - minutes not hours.  When we first asked Hughes net about service with Directv they said it works great, get movies, on demand with no trouble, so of course you sign up thinking all is well.  Trying tech support is a joke, the last guy in the Texas support said that the 380kbps was a very good download rate and well within their specs, that is if you don't get cut off while they 'check things out'. 
We find the advertising and sales people extremely misleading.  Sometimes we cannot even get to Hughes net, server not found!!   We are reporting this to the BBB, as Hughesnet are ripping people, who have no other real internet connection, off.  We pay for the top service they offer upto 15Mb download speed, but only get a 20Mb 2am-8am bonus but who stays up to just use the internet at that time when you have work in the morning? plus our service has never ever been close to that, on the testmy.net our results are Download :: 33 Kbps 4 kB/s  up arrow Upload :: 14 Kbps 2 kB/s.  on hughesnet speed test
08/23/2015 14:01:45 Download 16Kbps  Upload  66Kbps, plus at our location it is really 20:01
it really is a joke.

They told me the same thing. I am considering cancelling them also paying the early cancellation fee.
Freshman

yes, that is why they have people like us, that cant get internet where we live, over a barrel, It is sad, forced to pay a high price for crap internet. maybe someday this will change.
Associate Professor

That is very true, but it is a weak and shameful response to ALL the problems associated with what they advertise, and they tout much, much more than what is delivered. Why would so many people be dissatisfied if that was not true? To the people who are very happy with the service they receive, and I used to be one of them for quite a few years, that is great! It's awesome. But those people should be the ones to whom the comment you just made is directed. The only option they have for internet because of their remote, beautiful, or otherwise technologically challenged location. 

With so many unsatisfied customers, like me, who HAVE to have Hughes Net if they want internet, why doesn't Hughes Net buy another satellite? I understand that these things are not cheap, but if your worried about your 1 million plus subscribers, why not try to make them happy before allowing others to sign up? I live in an area where there are no other providers for anything. So does that mean that I should just pay the $150 a month and smile about it. I'm sorry, but if I was the head of this company, I think that I'd find a way to make my customers happy. Out of thousands of reviews about HN, I have found maybe 20 that were positive. And those people probably didn't use the internet more than 30 minutes a day. This is a tech world that we live in and to know that we are limited in what we can do while paying a premium kinda pisses people off. I get fed up with missing an episode of something because I'm at work trying to pay for that $150 a month internet service, only to have a friend say, you can watch it on Netflix, or On Demand! NO, I can not do that because I have limits. For the kind of money that I pay for this service, I should be able to stay on the internet 24/7, 365 and watch what I want to watch. I don't know for the life of me how HN stays in business. If anyone ever comes up with another option, HN will go out of business. Most of us are just waiting on that day.