cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not sure what to do here?

Highlighted

not sure what to do here?

I am new to hughsnet and I have not seen speeds this low but..... We are rocking 2.2 down at most. They have said the desktop has something running that is slowing it down. The other items we have are running slow because of apps. All of the devices I have require wifi to some extent due to the new technology that is required for the children's classrooms. All of the items besides the desktop require apps to run. This is pretty heartbreaking for us.
4 REPLIES 4
Assistant Professor

Re: not sure what to do here?

Adding to what jezra said, say you have a a plan with "up to" speed of 10 Mbps and you have four devices using WiFi at the same time. If they all streamed the same video at the same time then the speed would be divided among them, equaling about 2.5 Mbps each at best. This is assuming you are getting the max "up to" speed although many users experience slower speeds during peak times in the evenings and on weekends.

In short, satellite speed is not that fantastic to begin with and the more devices you have online at one time the slower it will be for everyone.

It is important to establish what speed is like with one computer connected directly to the modem.

What kind of apps are you referring to that the devices are running? Make sure the desktop and other devices are not set to download updates automatically.
Alum

Hi rueckert,

I want to welcome you to the community and thanks for posting. I think Jezra and sgoshe have explained this pretty well. To see the true speed that you are getting from us, you would need to directly connect one computer while testing. If you see normal speeds then it would definitely point to bandwidth sharing between all the devices connected to your network. For times when the kids may need to use the internet for education purposes it would be best to limit what devices are connected at that time so they can utilize more speed on your network. I hope this information was helpful. If you are not receiving the correct speeds while one computer is connected please post your speed test results so we can evaluate them. 

Typically we ask for about 3-5 tests throughout the day to get a better picture of what you are experiencing. 

Thank you,
Chris

I appreciate the feedback. I went through all of the troubleshooting with a really nice gal. I had to hotspot from my phone to my laptop while I did all of the tests on the computer that is hooked to the modem. My iPad is currently the only device that is cruising the web and I am trying to do a speed test. The gal that sold us the system was really nice but she assured us that multiple devices would not be a problem. This is really a bummer as we were hoping to get away from Verizon's broadband.

As a little side note; it is not that we see the low speeds all the time, just most of the time now. We saw speeds as high as 21mbps a few times on the wireless devices.