Hughesnet Community

over priced and not enough data. Not receiving what I was promised.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rogone

over priced and not enough data. Not receiving what I was promised.

Upon signing up my main concerns were having enough data for my online schooling, which is all online via 2hr video chats 4 times a week, as well as Netflix and music. Wasn't told about the data allowance restting daily for our first 20 days, would have been nice to know so we could have updated all our devices at once instead of spreading it out. Was informed only after I chatted with customer service with concerns of data allowance chart not seeming accurate. Well within 3 days after our 20days we are out of data. 3 days. I could understand if we were using Internet 24/7 but weren't... What are we paying nearly 100$ a month for?? I could have paid that and just upgraded my cell plan and used it as a hot spot and had no fear of running out of data in three days. Say area we are in our options are limited, but at this point I'd rather use the wasted money and drive into town 4 days a week and pay someone with reliable, trustworthy I ternet provider to do my schoolwork and have enough left over to get satelite tv service... False claims and very pissed of customer.
18 REPLIES 18
rogone

Also I was told we'd have plenty of data for our needs
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

If there is any way you can reduce the resolution of your video chats that would certainly help.  Depending on what it's normally set at, it could be using multiple Gigabytes per hour. 

The initial 20 days of resets are explained in the "welcome" email. 

It's very important to watch your data usage and remain cognizant of what data you have remaining.  You can do so with the Hughesnet Status Meter, viewing it at the System Control Center, or signing in and viewing at the Dashboard.

Status Meter download - http://my.hughesnet.com/

System Control Center - http://192.168.0.1/

View data usage and amount remaining at the Dashboard - http://my.hughesnet.com/

rogone

I never even received a welcome email. There is no way to dumb down class chats anymore than I already have. I miss a lot due to it. I am unable to download the status meter, I tried multiple times.. But once downloaded it will not open up. So I have been forced to use dashboard to check on it. That is not the issue. I was promised I'd have plenty of data for what was absolutely needed plus plenty of extra for movies and browsing. Not the case. Honestly I'd prefer to be done with hughesnet.. I don't see how this can ever work. Was told I'd have enough data to do what I needed. Not even close. I want out.
GabeU

The sales reps can only make an educated guess, but that's all it is, a guess, and there are so many factors involved that it's impossible for them to be able to know for sure what a person will use with regard to data.

Are you sure you are downloading the correct version of the Status Meter (Mac vs Windows)? 

You should post either a case number from a previous phone call or the serial number from your modem.  The reps can use this info to find your account and listen to your sales call to determine if you can be let out of your contract without paying the ETF. 

Don't post your SAN (your account number), only a case number or the modem serial number.  The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST. 

rogone

Then they shouldn't make it sound as if they are positive there will be enough data. I informed them this is all new to me and was assured it'd be plenty. I will go get serial # off modem. Not sure where paper went that I wrote down previous case numbers.
rogone

Serial # on modem b3 0010496925 ah
rogone

Also wasn't only the final sales person to tell me this, I spoke with several other sales people the week prior to signing up, all said same thing. Reassured was the best company/plan to fit our needs for our area. Very rural, but no reason to offer extreme minimal data and price gouge for it. This package seems to be more for people who only use data to check their email once a week not for those who are depending on it for mandatory attendance online schooling.
GabeU

Well, the service isn't meant to replace a land based service with no data caps.  Most of us that have this service have adapted to it by not doing much when it comes to streaming, but if streaming (like video chats) is something that needs to be done on a regular basis, it may not be the fit you need, as you are discovering. 

But no, we aren't limited to checking our email once a week.  I keep three computers up to date, shop, pay bills, use Facebook, watch YouTube videos, converse on a couple of communities, including this one, and perform general browsing on a nearly daily basis and rarely use more than 6GB in a month.  That's a bit more than checking email once a week.  There are also users here who occasionally stream TV a few TV programs they enjoy, though it's done in low def. 

The service is enough for most people, but not everyone.      

Also, only the sales call in which a person completes the sale would be available for review.  It's the only one in which the recording is saved. 

Very rural, but no reason to offer extreme minimal data and price gouge for it.
The data amounts are based on the throughput of the satellite and the price is appropriate for what it costs to offer the service. 
Chris11
Alum

Hi rogone,

Thanks for posting with your serial number and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear of your experience with us thus far. I understand that you are frustrated. Hopefully we can resolve this for you. As stated we do not save calls if they did not complete with a purchase of service. But we can review the final one. I'll look into it and see get back to you with the results. Your patience and cooperation are appreciated. 

Thank you,
Chri
rogone

Anything??
rogone

I am sorry if I am not being patient enough... But I was told I'd get a call back after a complaint I made earlier in the week... no call back. Been 2 days since you, Chris, said it'd be looked into. Cycle almost up, and I am not wanting to pay for next month service at all. I want out. Like now. Do not feel need to pay for etf
Chris11
Alum

Hello Rogone,

I'm still waiting to hear back on the review. Sometimes it takes a bit more time depending on how many requests they have etc. I will let you know once I have more info.

Thanks,
Chris
rogone

Thank you. I do not want to have next month's payment withdrawn from my bank account. Due date coming up here soon. I was mislead, deceived and disappointed. Do not want to pay etf. Just want out.
Chris11
Alum

Hello Roxanne,

Thanks for being patient. I just got your review back. Here are the results:

After reviewing the call, the agent does not correctly address streaming with the customer.  The customer states that they would be using the service for online classes, which did include streaming, and the agent did not read our disclosure which addresses how many hours the customer would expect to stream with the service, and what happens when the allowance was reached.  Although the agent does later explain how many hours they can expect with the Pro plan, which the customer purchases, they do mislead them as to what the slow down impacts.  This agent will be coached to properly address streaming and the data allowance moving forward.

Bases on the results you can certainly cancel with no fees. To do this you'll need to call us and reference my case number when cancelling. It is case #101567293. I've left instructions for our account team on how to proceed based on our findings. If you have anymore questions or concerns please let me know.

Thank you,
Chris

Chris11
Alum

Hi Roxanne,

When checking your account further, I see you've already cancelled today?  

- Chris
rogone

Thank you for your time, Chris. Yes, I missed a call from customer service this morning regarding an issue I had last week. However I did call back & this has been resolved.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Roxanne,

Sounds good. If you need anything else feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
Chris
Moltke2010
New Poster

Mee too.