problem with iPad messaging over Hughes.net, not other networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

problem with iPad messaging over Hughes.net, not other networks

several days ago, I could no longer access the iMessaging server (Apple) via Hughes.net.  Several hours on the phone with Apple did not solve the problem.  On a hunch, I went to another location where I could access a non-hughes network, and it worked fine.  Anybody in this august group got an idea?
161 REPLIES 161
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I've seen in the past where Apple based software that connects to their servers didn't like Hughesnet and it would take VERY long times to download things in comparison.  I don't know if it's that their servers don't like the latency or it's something else.  

I don't know if that's what's going on here, but it's a thought.

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

I just got a call about this same issue yesterday. Admittedly, I'm not an Apple guy.

Customer was trying to use their iPad message app over HughesNet and it wasn't working. I thought they were referring to a standard cellular phone SMS message function, and not an Internet-based app, but now I see that may have been in error. I asked her to bring the phone into our office, so I may know more next week if she does.

Some programs interpret the higher latency over satellite as a disconnect and get trapped into an endless reconnect loop. This app may be one of them and simply may not work over a satellite Internet connection.

It's not clear from your message, but was this app working for you before over your HughesNet connection and then it stopped working?
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
donsjgm
Junior

Hi Kirk,

I am an "Apple guy" and have no problem using iMessage over HN's network.
Since your device messages properly using a non-HN network, let me suggest that you reboot your terminal and router.
Your reference to "several days ago" might be the problem as I know there was a temporary glitch in the iMessage servers which seems to have been straightened out by now.
If your device is still not working properly, go through the settings carefully. The last upgrade reset many of the previous settings. I became aware of this while looking for the reason that my battery usage was way up from what it had previously been.
If you're still having problems, try disabling Web Acceleration and see how it works then.

Don  🙂
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Perfect! That's what I needed to know, too. Thanks, Don 🙂
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

Thanks for the help, guys!  I think all of you have part of the problem.  Interestingly, after I posted my message, I had a brain storm to try the iPad on a non hughes network.  When I did, it connected immediately, all the missed messages downloaded, I could again send and receive, all was hunky dory!  I finished my beer, went home and reconnected with Hughes and it works fine, has for the last 24 hours.  go figure!
donsjgm
Junior

NP Alan. BTW SMS will not work over HN but iMessage will. You might already be familiar with this.
I have never needed to disable WA for iMessage, only for certain servers (downloads specifically) that won't accept the redundant requests.
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

spoke too soon.  It worked for a day, then quit again.  times out after 15 minutes with message not delivered.  I don't think I mentioned that imessage has been working on this device for over 2 years without problem, attached to hughes.net.  It was running on an old version of OS when the problem started, and continued after I upgraded to the latest version.  
Liz

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for posting, glad to see our community folks offer you insight with your concerns. Since it seems to have returned, have you tried Don's suggestion and disabled Web Acceleration to see if that makes any difference?

Here's how to disable it: https://community.hughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/can_i_enable_disable_my_web_acceleration_myself

Let us know how it goes.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

Nope, no dice. nadda. 
thirdstonestudi
Freshman

My husband and I are having the same problem with iMessage and Hughes net on our iPhones.

Started about the same time, has not resolved.  Router and modem have been rebooted.  I disabled the firewall on our router.  I've reset my iphone, my Apple ID password, signed in and out of iMessage a zillion times, etc etc etc, none of which has made a difference, and since it hit both our phones at the same time all that was wishful thinking because I wasn't really expecting it to be a problem with the phone itself anyway.  iMessage works fine when not dependent upon our HughesNet wifi connection.  We have a crappy cell signal at home so we are dependent upon iMessage to work and frequently use it in airplane mode.  The phones still work on wifi in airplane mode for other things, just not iMessage.

It appears this is an issue specific to using iMessage on HughesNet.  One more reason for me to be annoyed with my service, which we're stuck with because we have no other options.

It did work fine before on both our phones for the last year (since we got the phones) with the occasional time out/not delivered, which is more common with photos, but often a resend would get it sent and delivered.  Nothing goes through now.  Neither of us have updated our OS but it sounds like that won't fix it anyway.  
Liz

Hmm alright.

What model iPad are you using?

Which iOS is it running?

Does leaving the iPad off for ~30 seconds before turning it on make any difference?

Does power cycling your modem make a difference? (Unplug the HughesNet modem's power cord from the brick for 30 seconds before replugging.)

Does power cycling your router make a difference?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are greatly appreciated so that we can address your concerns.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz

Hi thirdstonestudios,

Welcome and thanks for your input! Are you saying that the iMessage concerns on both your phones started up several days ago, just like Kirk?

-Liz

GabeU

One more reason for me to be annoyed with my service
If there is something else that is a problem, you should start a new post and explain the problem.  It may be something that can be resolved.  

thirdstonestudi
Freshman

The service is often very slow.  That's been a problem for us since day one.  It might be worth having a technician look into if it is something that can be resolved.

We also have a security camera system that we cannot view remotely because Gen4 doesn't allow port forwarding which is a requirement for the remote view to work.  As far as I know from past communications with HughesNet that's simply the way it is.  However, I have recently heard that upgrades to business service allow portforwarding which would fix the problem.  It would be nice if residential service allowed this too.  Perhaps things have changed in recent months, if so that would be good news.
thirdstonestudi
Freshman

To Liz - Sorry, I'm new to this forum and just set up an account today to chime in on this thread 🙂

Yes the iMessage issue started a few days ago and sounds like the exact problem and timing as Kirk's.  It started last Tuesday I believe.
GabeU

You should start a new posts to address your speed and camera issues.  You can do so by clicking on the NEW POST button at the top of the page.  Doing so will keep those issues separate from Kirk Merley's issues, which, unfortunately, you happen to also be experiencing.  

Of course, though, you can continue following and contributing to this thread for the iMessaging issue.   

thirdstonestudi
Freshman

To GabeU - that first comment was to clarify the issues we've had previously and explain my comment about being frustrated before this new problem.  I agree that those issues might have solutions and belong in another post.  At this point getting iMessage to work again would be great so fingers crossed a solution is found 🙂 Thanks
Liz

No worries! I'm glad you chimed in, this makes me wonder if this is the tip of the iceberg for a trending issue. I'd like to keep this thread focused on iMessaging, so if you would like to start troubleshooting slow speeds, please start a new thread to focus on that.

Thanks,
Liz

thirdstonestudi
Freshman

I will do that - sent the above comment in response to GabeU before both of your last comments, sorry.  Thanks again
Liz

So that I have the same info from you as well, can you please let me know the iPhone models and iOS versions?

Can you also try disabling Web Acceleration to see if that makes a difference? Here's how to disable it: https://community.hughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/can_i_enable_disable_my_web_acceleration_myself

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are greatly appreciated so that we can address your concerns.

Thanks,
Liz