problem with iPad messaging over Hughes.net, not other networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

problem with iPad messaging over Hughes.net, not other networks

several days ago, I could no longer access the iMessaging server (Apple) via Hughes.net.  Several hours on the phone with Apple did not solve the problem.  On a hunch, I went to another location where I could access a non-hughes network, and it worked fine.  Anybody in this august group got an idea?
161 REPLIES 161
erniet

I agree with you Kirk. I live in Northern California, off the grid, and use texting to do my business. I have to drive 2 miles to the top of the mtn, no problem when I get away from Hughes Net.
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

Like most Hughes refugees, I live out in the woods...  we have electricity, water, and garbage pick up, but no internet.  The nature of the businesses I run needs an instant messaging capability.  You have to go up to the top of a mountain, I have to go to the library, the Y, or a bar... this outage is playing havoc with my liver!

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

My only words are this... if your business is so dependent upon an internet connection, then you might want to look for a landline solution such as a dedicated fiber feed with a satellite up-link as backup instead of depending purely on a single connection.
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

Thanks for your suggestion.  The closest fiber with a hub is 17 miles away and would cost me a quarter million to hook up to.  When I say I have no choice, I mean I have no choice.
Liz

Good morning,

thirdstonestudios, Mustlovedogs, and wcm1152, our engineers tested and were able to use iMessage on your beam--are you able to use iMessage now?

Kirk, I just re-enabled your Web Acceleration, can you please try iMessage with it enabled and let me know if there's any difference?

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

stand by, testing now
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

It appears to be up!  Of course, now I got three "mail delivery failures" on known good addresses for an email I sent out about 10 minutes ago.  Tell the injuneers thanks!  It's been a long and frustrating run.  Be curious to see if the other victims are up and working.
wixon_kim

I will check when I go home this afternoon!
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

update:  have passed multiple messages without failure.  Would love to know what they fixed!  kirk

Liz

Thank you for the confirmation, Kirk. 

wixon_kim, I'm also eager to hear if you can use iMessage again.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

swhelms
New Poster

Still not fixed.  Having same issues as reported.  Have reset everything including the IPAD. 

wixon_kim

Liz, Mine is still not working.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
erniet

Liz.  I just tried to send iMessage, still won't deliver. I have tried everything you have suggested prior. Also sent emails and called tech support. I'm in northern California.
swhelms
New Poster

The only way I can seem to get it temporarily working is to disconnect WiFi from my hughes.net and use my cell phone mobile hotspot.  Starts working immediately.  I can then connect WiFi back to hughes and it will work for a few hours at best then back to no sending or receiving IMessages using Hughes.net.  I am in South Carolina
Liz

Hi swhelms,

Thanks for posting and letting me know, this will help the engineers as you are the first in a different gateway to report this occurrence. I will let them know and I will post back once I have any news to share or additional instructions.

Thank you,
Liz

Liz

Thanks for letting me know, wixon_kim. I made one adjustment just now, can you please try again? It also wouldn't hurt to try restarting your device if it doesn't work the first time around.

Looking forward to hearing back.

-Liz

Liz

I made one change since your last post, actually. Can you please try again and let me know if there's any luck using iMessage now?

-Liz

Liz

Hi erniet,

Welcome and thanks for posting and letting me know you are experiencing the same thing. Can you please try iMessage again and let me know if you're able to send successfully?  It also wouldn't hurt to try restarting your device if it doesn't work the first time around.

Thank you,
Liz

wixon_kim

It is not working...I restarted our devices and the hughesnet box.
Liz

Ok thank you for letting me know, I'll update the engineers.

-Liz