problem with iPad messaging over Hughes.net, not other networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

problem with iPad messaging over Hughes.net, not other networks

several days ago, I could no longer access the iMessaging server (Apple) via Hughes.net.  Several hours on the phone with Apple did not solve the problem.  On a hunch, I went to another location where I could access a non-hughes network, and it worked fine.  Anybody in this august group got an idea?
161 REPLIES 161
thirdstonestudi
Freshman

Ours is still not working also 😕 
thirdstonestudi
Freshman

also commented below, ours is still not working 😞 
Liz

Aw bummer. Thank you for letting me know, I'll let the engineers know, and I'll keep this thread posted with any updates.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

5:03 pm EST... I'm still on the air, and I started this whole mess!

Liz

Thanks for letting us know, Kirk! Glad to hear it!

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Mustlovedogs
New Poster

Just got home and rebooted all my equipment. Still not working here.
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 6 PM EST AND 8:47 PM EST, MY MESSAGING LINK STOPPED WORKING, AFTER BEING UP FOR NEARLY 24 HOURS.  THEREFORE, I REJOIN THE BELEAGURED GROUP OF SOULS WHO ALSO HAVE NO MESSAGING.  CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE LOOK AT THE TRAFFIC LOGS AND FIND OUT WHAT IS HAPPENING?  PLEASE?

melissacolyott

I'm having the same issue. I have been having the same issue for days. Been on the phone with technical support for over an hour and still nothing.
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

Liz, I am still down.  Do you want the open case number and contact point that I have with Apple engineering?  I escalated last week and burned thru all of the on line help without resolution and they escalated it to engineering.  I don't think the problem has anything to do with Apple, but maybe your techs and theirs could throw techy words at each other and help find a solution.  Some of the later posts on here indicate that others have gone down the Apple support path and hit a dead end there, too.
Liz

Good morning all,

Thank you for the news, we've sent up your latest updates to our engineers who are still working to address your iMessage concerns. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

There is one WISP in the area but he is so far away that I am in the second Fresnel zone of his signal.  Compounding is the fact that when I say I live in the woods, I mean woods!  We have trouble even getting a good cell signal.  I have been working with the state and county for several years to get an internet solution up here, and have had zero luck.  We did a market study for them, I located tower sites for them, identified back haul hubs... you name it.  We even have federal funding available.  The guys come into town waving the flag and promising service in 90 days... the next time you call them the guy is gone or the phone is disconnected...  I told them that if they would give me a back haul, I would put up a WISP!  The big guys like ATT won't invest in rural areas, they just want to cream skim where there is high density population numbers.
wiblemo

Hi Liz,

Thank you for your attention to this issue.  I just got off the phone with Home Tech Support and the agent let me know that the Hughesnet engineers are aware of this problem and are working to resolve it, then I found this post in the Hughesnet community forums.

My issue is (I believe) related to the same thing that people in this post are complaining about, however, I'm using a MacBook Air and iPhone SE and specifically a feature built into all recent Apple products called Continuity.

As long as both my MacBook and my iPhone are on the same network, Continuity allows me to see every text message on my Macintosh as they come into my iPhone.  I can also take (or place) phone calls directly from my Macintosh through its Continuity connection to my iPhone.

Like all the others in this post, these features stopped working approximately ten days ago (Feb. 7th or so) only when I am at home.  Up until then, all these features worked flawlessly when I'm at home using my Hughesnet internet connection.

When I am at my office, these Apple Continuity features have worked and continue to work flawlessly.

My wife has a different iPhone and MacBook and she has experienced the same issues. Apple Continuity features worked perfectly at home and at work until about ten days ago when they stopped working only at home when using our Hughesnet network.

I'm sure your engineers are working with Apple engineers.  I'm not sure if the issues described in this post from Apple (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202944) are involved, but perhaps it will help as they troubleshoot.

Thanks!
erniet

HI Liz
Had to go to Sacramento to take care of business. 4 iphones and 2 ipads no problem. Back home with HN, phones and ipads still can't send or receive messages. Hope you can resolve this soon.
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

I started this thread a week ago, and the problem has been going on for longer than that.  Apparently, this is not a high priority for Hughes, as there has been no progress made in finding a solution.  I guess we haven't made enough noise yet to get their attention...
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Apparently, this is not a high priority for Hughes, as there has been no progress made in finding a solution.
Looks like it's an intermittent problem. You yourself reported iMessage service came back up a couple of days ago and then went down again.

Intermittent problems can be tough to diagnose, especially if an implemented fix seemed to work and then the problem resurfaced. In any event, there usually isn't HN staff manning these forums on the weekend, so you may not get a response until Monday. 
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Apple does seem to have a habit of doing things on their end that don't play well with satellite and then HugheNet has to scramble to figure it out and fix. Only saying they do care but not always easy to determine where the problem lies and what the fix is.
wiblemo

I should have also included my location: North San Diego County, California.
donsjgm
Junior

Hey Sgoshe,
Since both Liz and myself have had no issues with iMessage it would seem apparent that the problem was/is not an issue created by Apple. 
I have 3 Apple devices and all of them "play well" with satellite services.
I have 4 Windows devices and 5 Linux also having no problems so, IMHO I think it has to either be in sections of HN's network OR the individual user's home networks. idk

Don  🙂
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

I agree, with one exception... the fact that the problem erupted simultaneously for many users, I don't think all of us screwed up our home networks in the same way at the same time.  This is further corroborated by the fact that all of the rest of our on line aps work the same as they have for years (at least in my case).  Also, apparently not all gen4 users are being affected by this anomaly, as you point out in your post.  There was some dialogue a few days ago that this problem seemed to be associated with the Albuquerque node (hub/site/center... whatever) but there hasn't been any additional references to that since the original comments.  IMHO...
donsjgm
Junior

This was an excellent post and hopefully will give engineering some insight as to where to look.
Good job!!!

Don  🙂
donsjgm
Junior

Absolutely, Kirk.
Only IF there was a commonality in the affected users' networks but, as you extrapolated, the greatest likelihood is it is a problem within limited areas of HN's system.