problem with iPad messaging over Hughes.net, not other networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

problem with iPad messaging over Hughes.net, not other networks

several days ago, I could no longer access the iMessaging server (Apple) via Hughes.net.  Several hours on the phone with Apple did not solve the problem.  On a hunch, I went to another location where I could access a non-hughes network, and it worked fine.  Anybody in this august group got an idea?
161 REPLIES 161
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

So, still a problem with Apple servers and Hughes communication. Never placed entire blame on either party. Even one gateway with the problem means something isn't communicating right. 

Only said communications problems seem to  happen a lot with Apple devices.
donsjgm
Junior

Never once , for as long as I've been a HN customer have I had a problem with Apple devices on their network.
Maybe I've just been lucky but it's been an awful long time to be just coincidence.
I've had to do an NVRAM reset before to fix iMessage (not a network issue) on my desktop and I do clear the RAM on my iPhone if it stutters or slows down.
I tend to leave them both on for weeks or months at a time. The phone, at least needs to be turned off and on occasionally.
swhelms
New Poster

Still no imessage on Hughes.net here.  South Carolina
erniet

After being down for almost 2 weeks, i was able to iMessage with an iPad. iPhones still don't work. Will have to see how long it will work on the iPad and hope the phones start soon.  Northern California
thirdstonestudi
Freshman

iMessage still down here, has been since this all started.  We're in VA.
donsjgm
Junior

Hi erniet,
Both iPad and iPhone use IOS.
If both devices are running the same version, and one will iMessage and the other will not then waiting is not the answer. In other words, If one can then they both can.
Try clearing out the RAM cache on the phones.

1. From the home screen (not the lock screen) hold down the sleep/wake button until the power off appears.
2. Release the sleep/wake button.
3. Hold down the Home button.
4. After a few seconds the screen will flash blank and then return to the home screen.

Don  🙂
erniet

Thanks Don
I have 3 iPhones, 2 run the same IOS as the iPad. The other is an older iPhone running a different IOS. I tried to clear the RAM as you suggested. The iPad still works but the phones won't. All phones worked prior to all this starting.

Ernie
Liz

Good morning all,

For any new folks, welcome and thank you for adding your input for our investigation, it's much appreciated and helpful for our case.

Kirk and wixon_kim, we have made additional adjustments to your terminals to test. Can you please let me know if iMessage works now?

Thank you,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

1:43 PM EST... nope... still down

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

BTW, I posted a couple of longer messages this weekend with some additional thoughts about trouble shooting this problem, but I guess they got deleted.

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

Timed out at 1:59 PM EST
timderry
Freshman

I am also in Northern California and have been experiencing the same for the last week, on all devices, 
Liz

Thanks for trying and letting us know, Kirk.
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz

Hi folks,

As our engineers continue to address this iMessage concern, please try this workaround in the meantime which should allow iMessage to work again. 

Please change the DNS settings on your iDevice to a use a different DNS server such as Google's (8.8.8.8). Here are instructions on how to do so:
https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-change-dns-on-iphone-ipad/

Please let me know if you have additional concerns.

Thanks,
Liz

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Aha! That darned DNS... We've seen this before. I should have guessed that!
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I've been using those for a long time now. Fewer issues. Sometimes I think the Hughes server(s) gets bogged down plus it seems it doesn't register name changes as quickly as the Google servers.
Mustlovedogs
New Poster

Thank you for the work around!
Liz

You're welcome, Mustlovedogs, glad to have provided a bit of relief. 🙂

-Liz

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

Works.  I am back on the air...  cap'n kirk
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Wait, just remembered the modem is the default DNS handler if everything set to auto. Never mind my reference to "server(s)" above but the main point I was making still applies.

Glad to see the workaround is working for you guys!
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

I just love it when stuff works!

And Steve, I think you are correct and that your reference to "Servers" does apply. Like any ISP, HughesNet points their Modems to their preferred DNS servers by default. The internal DNS address you see as 192.168.0.1 is simply the private IP side after the modem NATs from their DNS servers.

Charles can speak better to that. Beyond my pay grade.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com