cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with iPad messaging over Hughes.net, not other networks

New Poster

problem with iPad messaging over Hughes.net, not other networks

several days ago, I could no longer access the iMessaging server (Apple) via Hughes.net.  Several hours on the phone with Apple did not solve the problem.  On a hunch, I went to another location where I could access a non-hughes network, and it worked fine.  Anybody in this august group got an idea?
161 REPLIES
Senior Instructor

Re: problem with iPad messaging over Hughes.net, not other networks

I've seen in the past where Apple based software that connects to their servers didn't like Hughesnet and it would take VERY long times to download things in comparison.  I don't know if it's that their servers don't like the latency or it's something else.  

I don't know if that's what's going on here, but it's a thought.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

I just got a call about this same issue yesterday. Admittedly, I'm not an Apple guy.

Customer was trying to use their iPad message app over HughesNet and it wasn't working. I thought they were referring to a standard cellular phone SMS message function, and not an Internet-based app, but now I see that may have been in error. I asked her to bring the phone into our office, so I may know more next week if she does.

Some programs interpret the higher latency over satellite as a disconnect and get trapped into an endless reconnect loop. This app may be one of them and simply may not work over a satellite Internet connection.

It's not clear from your message, but was this app working for you before over your HughesNet connection and then it stopped working?
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Junior

Hi Kirk,

I am an "Apple guy" and have no problem using iMessage over HN's network.
Since your device messages properly using a non-HN network, let me suggest that you reboot your terminal and router.
Your reference to "several days ago" might be the problem as I know there was a temporary glitch in the iMessage servers which seems to have been straightened out by now.
If your device is still not working properly, go through the settings carefully. The last upgrade reset many of the previous settings. I became aware of this while looking for the reason that my battery usage was way up from what it had previously been.
If you're still having problems, try disabling Web Acceleration and see how it works then.

Don  Smiley Happy

Perfect! That's what I needed to know, too. Thanks, Don Smiley Happy
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
New Poster

Thanks for the help, guys!  I think all of you have part of the problem.  Interestingly, after I posted my message, I had a brain storm to try the iPad on a non hughes network.  When I did, it connected immediately, all the missed messages downloaded, I could again send and receive, all was hunky dory!  I finished my beer, went home and reconnected with Hughes and it works fine, has for the last 24 hours.  go figure!
Junior

NP Alan. BTW SMS will not work over HN but iMessage will. You might already be familiar with this.
I have never needed to disable WA for iMessage, only for certain servers (downloads specifically) that won't accept the redundant requests.
New Poster

spoke too soon.  It worked for a day, then quit again.  times out after 15 minutes with message not delivered.  I don't think I mentioned that imessage has been working on this device for over 2 years without problem, attached to hughes.net.  It was running on an old version of OS when the problem started, and continued after I upgraded to the latest version.  

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for posting, glad to see our community folks offer you insight with your concerns. Since it seems to have returned, have you tried Don's suggestion and disabled Web Acceleration to see if that makes any difference?

Here's how to disable it: https://community.hughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/can_i_enable_disable_my_web_acceleration_myself

Let us know how it goes.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

New Poster

Nope, no dice. nadda.