Hughesnet Community

"Clear View of the Southern Sky". Will My Signal Strength Drop/Fade Because of Trees?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monicakm
Senior

"Clear View of the Southern Sky". Will My Signal Strength Drop/Fade Because of Trees?

I have (or had) a clear view of the southern sky since my satellite was installed.  That was several years ago (15 maybe?).  The trees have since grown together but I'm not sure if the dish is pointing above the trees or trying to go thru them.  Looks like it could go either way.  Question:  If trees are in the way, will my signal strength indicate that?  My signal strength is currently 92 but my browsing and Google Home devices are slooooow and often times I'll get the dreaded "there was a glitch" or "something went wrong, try again in a few seconds" from my Google Home devices.  Download speeds are crazy good (testmy.net).  Right now during peak hours it's 37.7.  It's usually in the mid/upper 40s.  

3 REPLIES 3
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@monicakm 

It certainly can, but signal strengths can also change over time.  Though I have no idea what it is they can actually see, as in what parameters they look at concerning the signal (likely much more than we customers are able to see), but when the reps run their remote diagnostics they can normally tell if there is a problem with trees or other foliage getting in the way.

This is really good to know Liz.  Thanks so much.  Now I can take that out of the equation and concentrate on other areas (HN modem or my Netgear router).  

Liz

Hi Monica,

I just ran diagnostics on your site to check on the line of sight and there's no indication that there's any issue with that. I'm also seeing 38 Mbps DL from here; all is well. 🙂

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!