cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Data Gobbler" Alert

"Data Gobbler" Alert

Since downloading Glasswire I've been monitoring my actual data usage trying to eliminate sites with high data drainage. I like Yahoo news coverage, but only go there early in the morning during Bonus usage. I already knew that Yahoo sometimes have videos running in the background. Between roughly 6am and 8am this morning an address that I tracked back to Yahoo consumed 2.4G of data. That's a lot of data considering the fact that my daytime usage since a refill on 9-21 has only been 1.2G. Be careful what you choose to view and at what times.
16 REPLIES 16
Associate Professor

Re: "Data Gobbler" Alert

Yeah, a lot of websites are becoming data intensive these days, and while most users think it's completely the fault of the ISP, there's not much that can be done aside from use a program to try and figure out exactly what is using all the data.
Honorary Alumnus

It may be time to install AdBlock Plus and Noscript browser add ons
Highlighted

I have AdBlock Plus, but not Noscript. I'll see if I can find it to download. ( during Bonus time)

Hi bkilgore46,

Thanks for sharing your experience! Charles Scott is correct, a lot of sites nowadays are getting heavy on multimedia content, in addition to all the ads everywhere. Ad/flash/script blockers are super useful in preventing those things from loading and using your data.

-Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Would I be able to use noscript if I don't have firefox browser?

I use Firefox as my primary browser and after I installed NoScript it wouldn't even let me into Hughesnet, so I had to disable it.

Curious, you couldn't get into the HughesNet portal or the HughesNet community or HughesNet webmail or...?

-Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Liz

It wouldn't let me into anything HughesNet. I didn't even try anything else. Also this morning I couldn't into to HN Community until I rebooted modem, wifi, and computer. Everything else worked fine. Message came back "Secure connection failed." That is the second time that has happened. First time was about a week ago.

Ah, ok. So NoScript didn't let you access anything HughesNet. 

Then on a somewhat related note, you weren't able to access the community until after rebooting everything.  Is this all correct?

-Liz