cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

? real speeds

Highlighted
New Poster

? real speeds

The HughesNet Speed Test is consistently giving me results 10-20 times what I get from Fast.com.

This morning, for instance, 1.9 vs 18.3 mbps and 2.1 vs 36.1 mbps. In real world usage small screen YouTube videos often stop to buffer frequently, suggesting inflated numbers from HughesNet. 

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Professor

Re: ? real speeds

The Hughesnet speed test is not reliable -- the company suggests performing tests using Testmy.net (http://testmy.net). .  Fast.com is also not a reliable test site. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Distinguished Professor III

Re: ? real speeds

@ednygard

Fast.com is owned by Netflix, which means that, while it tests service speed, it does so in a way that mimics streaming, and deliberately so.  Because of this, when a speed test is run at Fast.com it causes HughesNet's Video Data Saver to kick in, throttling your speed to such that is amenable to streaming in 480p, but no higher.  

If you want to use Fast.com you will need to turn off the Video Data Saver to get the most accurate results.  

As stated by maratsade, HughesNet recommends using testmy.net, as it tests in such a way that the high latency inherent to satellite internet doesn't skew the results.  It's also recommended to use the 25MB manual test size for download tests and the 4MB manual test size for upload tests.  For the most accurate results, testing should be done with a single LAN cable connected device, and with the WiFi in the HT2000W disabled.  To disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see the section titled "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  

Please also keep in mind that, while the speed may appear to be ample to stream, congestion can affect that ability.  Congestion is most prevalent in the evenings.  Also, as alluded to, if trying to stream in anything higher than 480p the Video Data Saver must be turned turned off, or at least snoozed. 

Edit:  Further, when experiencing congestion, turning off, or snoozing, the Video Data Saver may also help when streaming in 480p, or even lower definitions.     

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit