receiving less than 17 percent of my contracted speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skybox
Sophomore

receiving less than 17 percent of my contracted speed

Look I have every right to voice my concerns. I can do it here or every satellite forum available.  I simply want what I'm paying for. If Hugesnet legitimately assists with my complaint then I no longer have a complaint. But I'm not going to pay what I pay every month and receive less than 17 percent of my contracted speed. Don't you agree with my logic. If not please explain your rational for not agreeing. 

53 REPLIES 53

second speed test: 6:30 PM April 20, 2017

4.jpg

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Be easier to have a url to an account instead of having to look for the TID and figure out the compID used on the testing, and please note, downloads require the 12MB manual download test.

Current Connection ID: http://testmy.net/compID/661812672067
TID: http://testmy.net/db/ASJ7Hg6wu

That aside, while looking at the TID results, thats a plain old sign of not throttling, but of congestion.

This is what light congestion looks like on a second by second metric.
congestion1.PNG

Note that there are sharp spikes and valleys as the system is trying to deliver as much bandwidth as it can for the beam assignment.

This is what a THROTTLED connection looks like:

congestion2.PNG

Notice, the throttled connection is much slower, but has a much more smooth and consistent speed.

This is what your 15MB test looks like:
congestion3.PNG

Looks a lot like the unthrottled congested speed earlier, doesn't it?

Yup, looks like a congested beam (at least at this time)

As I tried to say before, you won't find satellite Internet to be the functional equivalent of ground based systems. Different animal altogether.

Will ES19 likely ever be 'overbooked'? Sure, at least on some beams. It likely will be a long time as ES19 has at least double the capacity of ES17.

What you call 'greed' in terms of overbooking is really a sound business practice in some eyes.

The user population is not evenly distributed nor do users follow a strict pattern in their usage pattern. You simply can not afford to build-out a system to 125% of capacity.

I haven't heard any numbers on the cost of ES19. It is said that ES17 was in the area of $500 million plus launch and insurance costs.

Some sources put ViaSat-2 at about $625 million and $107 million more for launch.

Those costs plus that of Gateway improvements must be recouped within the expected lifespan of the bird, usually about 15 years.

Your choices at this point:

>cancel your service<

>wait out ES17 to see if migration to ES19  reduces the load<

>Move to ES19 which will take years to heavy load<

Not only is it congested now but based on my experience, as explained to all of you ad nauseam, it appears to be at this status the majority of time. As a consumer I'm extremely frustrated because I pay for the best plan available yet at no fault of my own my speed is being stifled to a level that essentially takes away capability. In my way of thinking, deliberate throttling or throttling by proxy (over selling the capacity of the beam) has an identical affect to the end user. Consequently, I'm being over charged for Hughsnet's calculus. Put another way some consumers on different beams have no issues while at the other end of the spectrum we're called trolls for complaining and told if we don't like the service to go elsewhere. This surely explains why some on this forum ride in on their white horses and adamantly defend Hugesnet because they don't understand how the different beams are populated. Plus the culture here is adversarial when folks are persistent about their issues. As such, forum members pick up on this and assimilate to the norm. In their eyes it must be some dumb a.s.s who can't figure it out. Making matters worse some Hugesnet personnel use the ignorance of those complaining to their advantage. Rather than admit that some beams are significantly oversold and inform consumers of the pitfalls they go out of their way to put the blame on the customer by faulting router setting, or inadequate data plans, or data leakage. This forum is very good at doing that. It comes across most of the time like the moderators sole purpose here is to protect Hugesnet improprieties by playing a con game of hide the real reason for your speed reduction. The speed tests become leverage against the consumer instead of assisting with troubleshooting. I don't know how many times I heard "your speed tests are fine the problem has to be on your end - sorry there's nothing more we can do." Well here's a novel thought how about a break-off point of subscribers when a beam saturates to a level where service will significantly degrade. 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

What you call blame, we call cause.

No one here has called you or anyone else a 'troll'

No one refer to you as 'some dumb a.s.s'

We here in the Community have tried to engage you in troubleshooting efforts only to be rejected or rebuffed. I have news for you my friend ... no one 'knows it all', anyone can miss something ... and this includes the lower teir support folks. Many of those are early in their work life and may not have the same life experiences as some of us regulars.

Every line of investigation that I have offered up has been rejected by you ... every single one.

You do have some options ... I guess ranting is one of them.

Upgrading is another.

Dropping the service is yet another.

Like Yoda said in the movie ... there is no try, do or do not.

You believe you are being 'throttled' and you can't or won't get or go beyond that.

You need to make a choice ... or no choice at all.

Good Day to you Sir!

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@Gwalk900 wrote:

No one here has called you or anyone else a 'troll'

I actually kinda did earlier, on another thread, one of the many he jumped into.

Well Yoda let’s review the brilliance you offered to what I believe to be a Hugesnet’s problem – overbooking:

1. cancel your service
  2. wait out ES17 to see if migration to ES19  reduces the load
  3. Move to ES19 which will take years to heavy load

If you’re from the era I think you’re from and prior military like myself then you’ll recognize my response “nuts”.

I'm a loyal paying customer that was not only promised the ability to Stream in SD but the advertisement is still listed on Hugesnet website. Based on the speed test I submitted, and the resulting analysis, I think it's quite clear that the beam is overbooked. The overbooking is not a recent phenomenon either, it’s been this way since I subscribed. Further, contrary to all the wisdom I received here on the forum, the ability to receive even 17 % of my speed allotment doesn't look promising. I did inquire about ES19 as a possible solution, and to add insult to injury they want to charge me a $99 dollar installation fee and force a 24 month commitment - which by the way increases from $99 dollars a month to $140.00 dollars or so (with taxes) after 12 months.  Gee, I've been screwed for over 12 months now, essentially handing in over 25G a month of my primary data plan because of the snail like speeds and Hugesnet offers me a fix that charges me even more. What a solution Yoda!

One last comment for this post. You keep telling me that this isn’t a land-based system so don’t expect land-based results. Believe me I understand that. If I expected land-based speeds then I would expect at least 80 percent of my contracted speed. As I’ve specified over-and-over again, I would be satisfied with a reliable 2 Mbps (17 percent) of what I pay for.  Is this unreasonable? Interestingly, when I looked at the graph provided above reflecting throttled speed, the line indicated a smooth 3M speed.  If this graph is from Hugesnet why can’t I get a measly 2Mbps consistently?  I’m assuming the answer is because the beam is so overbooked that Hugesnet realizes it doesn’t have enough space in its time slots to accommodate a satisfactory level of speed.

Yoda working with satellites in the military you know how TDM works. We used the technology to consolidate multiple conversations that could be beamed to another tower. I’m sure you also remember at times when those conversations became garbled when we attempted to force more conversations into available time slots because the queues would become congested.  I assume this situation is similar – too much data not enough time slots.   

shoot a PM to Amanda or Liz, see if there's anything she can do for you on the price of the GEN 5 upgrade.  Concessions should be made, if this was an issue you've been dealing with for a while

conversing with anyone else on here is a complete waste of time, believe me.

The "helpers" on here should be responding to you this way - to PM Liz or Amanda 

Hi dhorwath,

Thanks for posting. This community is for the purpose of our most knowledgeable HughesNet subscribers to help other HughesNet subscribers like yourself. They are an invaluable resource to the community that can help guide those with common issues using tried and true troubleshooting methods. We highly suggest researching for the information you seek and working with the community first. Should a case get to the point where a mod is needed for escalation, we may be pinged or jump in on our own.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thanks Dhorwath and offering good advice,

I finally came to the same conclusion earler today.  Also, its evident that the moderators have knowledge of what I've been dealing with but have offered no new solutions or intervended in an attempt to make it right.  I'm currently drafting a complaint letter to corporate letting them know how moderators sit back and allow other impersonal customers do their work for them and during the process say nothing when consumers are treated as a "troll". I'm also constructing a detailed accounting as to how Hugesnet throttles by proxy and the consternation it causes. I'm going to ping the AG as well. There are a number of consumer protection statutes that can be employed along with contract law. It just doesn't have to be just F.C.C rules. Believe me, I worked for government my whole career and  know how it ticks. I'll get my point accross and will solict others who are experiencing the same issus as evidence of this deep-seated problem.  I'll be sure to post my letters on multiple forums so others get an understanding of how the Hugesnet system is desinged on multiple tiers to marginalize those who are affected by congested beams.  Yea I'm pis.s.e.d and I'm not going away until I get a fair resoultion. I may not win in the legal arena but in the court of  public opinion ...well we'll see. Thanks for reaching out. 

My exchange of over 11 pages is a good example of what you are describing where the mods don't offer input.  I remember reading on here somewhere that the mods want others to try to solve issues for them.  Not sure about that business model either.

I have been given a discount for the last few months, but I just need faster internet in order to stream.  Still waiting for my Gen 5 install, so I'll see how that goes

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Bandwidth and speed are not the same things.

Did you not then ask for additional troubleshooting?

Under what conditions are you attempting to stream? )Direct connect or through a router?) (Wired or wireless?)

If though a router is QoS enabled? What type/level of QoS is available on your router?

While this may not be your first rodeo it MAY be that you are unaware of or have overlooked an item or two.

I can't begin to count the number of 'Sys Admins' we have had in the Community over the years.

The solution to any problem is usually in the last place you investigate.

Hugesnet Tecs had me diconnect the router and other tests on three different occassions. They were satified that equipment was not the issue. I'm sure Liza has access to these inquires. 

Liz

Good morning skybox,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting.  We'd like to help address your speed concerns. To get started, please follow the steps here to set up a testmy.net account and run speed tests so that we get a proper evaluation of your system performance:

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 12MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz,

Been there done that on multiple occassions, including working with your techs checking my equipment - everything checks out. Here are some steps I took on my own which has caused me to think the way I do with respect to throttling. First, I run the speed test. Most times I'm within 60 to 70 percent of my allotted speed.  Then I immediately start to Stream in SD.For the first 5 minutes or so everything works adequately (even though I'm only using 17 pecent of 15 Mbps) Then the resolution drops and buffering begins. I tried this on five occassions with the same results. Liz I spent a carrer in the Army managing combat networks. I understand multiplexing and network management.  The only way Hugesnet is going to satisfy me is to give me at leat 50 percent of my allotted speed throughout the day. I understand that Hugesnet has overbooked it satellite capacity and the resulting congestion. But to dilute my data speed to less than 17 percent throught the entire day and evening because of its self-imposed congestion is unthical to say the least.

Thanks

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@skybox wrote:
The only way Hugesnet is going to satisfy me is to give me at leat 50 percent of my allotted speed throughout the day. I understand that Hugesnet has overbooked it satellite capacity and the resulting congestion.

So what you're basically asking for is priority over other users on your beam/gateway using the system at the same time as you?

The satellite and gateway automatically adjust to provide as much speed as possible to each user at any point in time depending on the load. You would like that bypassed just for you at the expense of others?

HughesNet's policy has been to provide service to all who need and request it. Yes, it has and does result in overloading. Why they've got a new Gen5 satellite up and running and trying to get as many customers as possible to move to it.

My speed during nightly prime time has been pretty dismal for awhile now but I've chosen to wait it out and see if things improve as more load is taken off Jupiter 1. Yes my choice but I also have not asked for any special treatment. I also understand satellite after working with it in the military.

I'm curious what your speed is outside of peak usage hours. If still very bad then that is a different story.

PS: The "contracted speed" is "up to", not guaranteed. Only stating that legal fact, not trying to be smart.

Nope not asking for special treatment. All I'm asking for is a segment of what I'm paying for.  I was led to believe before purchasing Hugesnet that I would be able to Stream in Standard Definition, I can't. As stated that's pretty pathitic when SD only requires 2 Mbps. Again, this means there is drastic throttling occuring because of my beam being oversaturated. I can understand some throttling but when I can't even get 17 percent there is a significant issue with overbooking. Below is an extrct taken from Hugesnet website a few minutes ago. It implies and matches what I was told - that I would be able to Stream in SD. I accepted this. I knew HD would not happen even though it only requires 35 percent of the speed I pay for. If you can accept being fleeced more power to you. I can't and will continue to ask the necessary questions and let my disapproval be known. 

1. Rethink high-def

High-definition video consumes three times more bandwidth than standard definition. Does all of your video have to be high definition? You probably want the highest resolution for a visual feast like “Avatar,” while lower resolution is fine for “Modern Family” episodes. Your video service has options for selecting video quality. For instance, Netflix’s “Manage video quality” option allows users to choose three quality levels. In Hulu, the “Settings/Player Settings” menu offers three playback quality levels and enables you to turn off the default HD playback option. On YouTube, check the “Settings/Playback” menu and make sure the automatic “play HD” option is turned off.

I know Hughsnet is controlling the download speed of the Netflix Movie download feature. I however, do not understand why. It is not competing with Hugsnet. Why do they slow it so badly? I cannot use my FREE 50 Gig download from  1 to 8 am. On my last try I aborted it at 1 hour into a 500 mb download. It was one third complete. I cannot use it because Hughsnet slows the Netflix download to a crawl. At first it was fast, when I signed up. As soon as the trial period was up however, Most of my download speeds, on certain popular sites ,went to a crawl. Yet my speed tests indicate fast speeds. Very deceiving. It becomes obvious rather quickly that the sites providing speed tests are passed through un-throttled. It is also quite easy to compare the packets coming in from Netflix to the ones moving through a speed test. Hmmm. Further adding to the facts, I have three IP's and, only Hughsnet does this. On my other two providers, the download is as fast as the connection is running. I just drove one block, and downloaded the same movie in 2 minutes with a different IP. Please don't further insult your customers by claiming they are not throttled " download speeds". I will not get into an Internet argument on this. These throttling issues are well known. It is best to just tell us what really is going on. It might keep a customer for you. Deception creates the customer anger you see here. Some of us understand the perils of marketing.

I will not be renewing. They got my money for two years.

Hi skybox,

Can you please confirm whether there is anything obstructing your dish right now? Please let me know so I can run new diagnostics after your confirmation.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

No its clear