cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

receiving less than 17 percent of my contracted speed

Sophomore

Re: Can't Download from Microsoft

Nope not asking for special treatment. All I'm asking for is a segment of what I'm paying for.  I was led to believe before purchasing Hugesnet that I would be able to Stream in Standard Definition, I can't. As stated that's pretty pathitic when SD only requires 2 Mbps. Again, this means there is drastic throttling occuring because of my beam being oversaturated. I can understand some throttling but when I can't even get 17 percent there is a significant issue with overbooking. Below is an extrct taken from Hugesnet website a few minutes ago. It implies and matches what I was told - that I would be able to Stream in SD. I accepted this. I knew HD would not happen even though it only requires 35 percent of the speed I pay for. If you can accept being fleeced more power to you. I can't and will continue to ask the necessary questions and let my disapproval be known. 

1. Rethink high-def

High-definition video consumes three times more bandwidth than standard definition. Does all of your video have to be high definition? You probably want the highest resolution for a visual feast like “Avatar,” while lower resolution is fine for “Modern Family” episodes. Your video service has options for selecting video quality. For instance, Netflix’s “Manage video quality” option allows users to choose three quality levels. In Hulu, the “Settings/Player Settings” menu offers three playback quality levels and enables you to turn off the default HD playback option. On YouTube, check the “Settings/Playback” menu and make sure the automatic “play HD” option is turned off.

Hi skybox,

Can you please confirm whether there is anything obstructing your dish right now? Please let me know so I can run new diagnostics after your confirmation.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Sophomore

Coming from a person who is consistently getting 25 Mbps, right!  How about we ask Hugesnet to switch our accounts, lets see how coopative and accomodating you'll be when your speed reduces to less than 17 percent of what you pay for on a regular basis. As stated, I'd be happy with a consistent 25 percent LOL. Some of guys are a piece of work.  How about it want to switch, put your money where your mouth is. Let me know. 

Sophomore

No its clear

Sophomore

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Honorary Alumnus

@skybox wrote:

How about we ask Hugesnet to switch our accounts, lets see how coopative and accomodating you'll be when your speed reduces to less than 17 percent

Some of guys are a piece of work.  How about it want to switch, put your money where your mouth is. Let me know. 

It's difficult to say who you addressed the above comment to but .....

You keep ranting the same rant without posting any factual data that can be used to address your perceived but so far unsubstantiated issue.

You had to see Liz's post to you above relating to obstruction/LOS issues.

Beyond that, as stated before. The Community Mods are at the corporate level and can bump you problem directly to Engineering .... but not without supporting data. Run the speed tests as follows for Gen4:

Welcome to help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, all using a 12MB manual download test. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO ROUTER or Wireless devices)
-use the 12MB size download test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

Honorary Alumnus

Lets see if you can understand the following.

Due to the high latency inherent to a satellite connection and because your connection is behind a CGN server .. most speed test sites will not give accurate results.

You have to run tests at testmy.net. You have to create and account and log into that account before running a series of tests. The download tests need to be manual tests, 12 MB in size.

Run a series of 3 to 5 tests, spaced at least 5 minutes apart. Try to run three series of tests in a day, early, mid-day and late so as to make data points that engineering can use to develope a picture of your performance.

Run the test while connected directly to the Modem ... no router ... for a number of reasons,

Post a link as directed above here in your thread so the engineers can refer to your data as it develops.

Hi skybox,

Thank you for that confirmation. As a courtesy to you, I've issued a dispatch for your site; I'd like to make sure the HughesNet equipment are all functioning properly before we further evaluate your system performance.

There were no available slots for me to schedule your site visit, so your assigned dealer will reach out to you to arrange an appointment.

If you're still experiencing slow speeds after the site visit, I would like to see some testmy.net speed test results to see what we're working with. As Gwalk noted, we do have a specific method for having the testmy.net speed tests run, so please read and follow the instructions here to get your testmy.net account set up: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO ROUTER or Wireless devices)
-use the 12MB size download test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

Looking forward to hearing how the site visit goes.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Sophomore

If you read some of my other posts you'll see that  I ran the speed tests and on average the results indicated approximately  60 to 70 percent of my allotment. So here is what I did immediately after running the tests. I selected a streaming program and began to watch. For the first five minutes or so it was adequate. Then after about five minutes, on all three occassions, the bottom dropped out. The resoultion dropped and buffering started. I tried both netfix and amazon prime - both same results. I had Hugesnet techs walk me through my equipment and on three seperate occassions everything checked out.  So this is why I rant abut throttling. If the speed test indicates 70 percent speed, which is enough for HD, then why after five minutes of streaming,on three seperate occassions,does the speed drop below 17 percent and makes SD streaming impossible? I can only deduce based on these tests that Hugesnet detects and throttles any type of streaming. Why else would I have good speed tests but can't stream in SD a few minutes later?  What conclusdion would you come to if you experinced the same results?  I guess I'm frustrated because I have been experiencing this for sometime now and all I get is "go somewher else, called a troll, sign up for Gen 5 at an increase cost etc. By the way if I was absoultly positive that Gen5 would't suffer the same fate as Gen4 I would sign up, but based on my experience I don't have a lot of confidence.

Sophomore

Liz than you for attempting to help, I know you mean well and I welcome the technician. But please understand I've dome what you're now asking at least three times and everything checks out. It should be in my records. In fact I belive I have a copy of the email the tech sent me if you would like a copy. Please see the message I just posted to wag the tail and don't bak or something like that, below. This should give you a clearer picture of the issue. As mentioned, for the most part the speed test comes back within an acceptable range but right after when I attempt to stream in SD it works for about five minutes then goes to he.ll. I don't have much faith in the speed test based on my experiences. I'm convinced its saturation of the beam I'm on.