cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

receiving less than 17 percent of my contracted speed

Associate Professor

Re: Can't Download from Microsoft

As stated earlier, there is a protocol to follow, they will need a link to your testmy.net account results.  Engineers wont just take your word of mouth.

Sophomore

Hopefully you can understand this. The speed tests mean nothing if immediately after I can't stream in SD. Hopefully you can comprehended the post I wrote to you a few minutes ago about why I believe throtting is the issue and not equipment or the results of speed tests. If a speed test comes back acceptable but immediately after the bandwidth speed drops significantly what does that indicate to you? The true test is what I see on the screen. From comments on this and other forums this is not an isolated issue. We can all dance until he.ll freezes over, puff out our chests and pontificate our brillance. But the only solution I'll accept is the one where I turn on the TV and I can stream a movie in SD. In other words, if the speed test says 20 Mbps download  but I can't stream in SD then that means I'm getting less than 2 Mbps when it counts most- agree? And if that's the case, then the only logical explanation is when Hugesnet detects streaming of any sort then the throttling algorithms kick-in.  Nothing anyone has said up to this point has convinced me otherwise. 

Sophomore

They don't have to they got the results from past tests. This isn't my first rodeo with this issue, I followed the prtocol and still no fix to my less than 17 percent speed when attempting to stream SD. 

Associate Professor
Honorary Alumnus

Bandwidth and speed are not the same things.

Did you not then ask for additional troubleshooting?

Under what conditions are you attempting to stream? )Direct connect or through a router?) (Wired or wireless?)

If though a router is QoS enabled? What type/level of QoS is available on your router?

While this may not be your first rodeo it MAY be that you are unaware of or have overlooked an item or two.

I can't begin to count the number of 'Sys Admins' we have had in the Community over the years.

The solution to any problem is usually in the last place you investigate.

Distinguished Professor III

@skybox wrote:

In other words, if the speed test says 20 Mbps download  but I can't stream in SD then that means I'm getting less than 2 Mbps when it counts most- agree? 

No.  Speed is only half of it.  The speed of the signal must also be consistent and smooth.  If one does speed tests and the results graphs looks like the Sawtooth Mountains, the signal may not be of sufficient consitency to stream smoothly, whereas if the graphs look more like a smooth line, the ability to stream smoothly will be much more likely.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

Hugesnet Tecs had me diconnect the router and other tests on three different occassions. They were satified that equipment was not the issue. I'm sure Liza has access to these inquires. 

Sophomore

Hugesnet problem not mine.

Sophomore

That always end up being the result because you can't fix overbooking or throttling. Again, Hugesnet has the results of past speed tests, nothing has changed dramatically. As I said, the speed test come back within an acceptable range but for some strange reason within 10 minuts of the speed test when I attempt to stream the speed reduces to less than 17 percent? Cab you explain this?  This forum appears to geared more to wearing one down then coming up with suitable solutions. If you want to help, switch me to another beam with much less congestion if that's possible. We'lll then see what happens..thx  

Distinguished Professor III

@skybox

You can't simply be switched to another beam.   It doesn't work that way.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit