cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

receiving less than 17 percent of my contracted speed

Sophomore

Re: Can't Download from Microsoft

Thanks Dhorwath and offering good advice,

I finally came to the same conclusion earler today.  Also, its evident that the moderators have knowledge of what I've been dealing with but have offered no new solutions or intervended in an attempt to make it right.  I'm currently drafting a complaint letter to corporate letting them know how moderators sit back and allow other impersonal customers do their work for them and during the process say nothing when consumers are treated as a "troll". I'm also constructing a detailed accounting as to how Hugesnet throttles by proxy and the consternation it causes. I'm going to ping the AG as well. There are a number of consumer protection statutes that can be employed along with contract law. It just doesn't have to be just F.C.C rules. Believe me, I worked for government my whole career and  know how it ticks. I'll get my point accross and will solict others who are experiencing the same issus as evidence of this deep-seated problem.  I'll be sure to post my letters on multiple forums so others get an understanding of how the Hugesnet system is desinged on multiple tiers to marginalize those who are affected by congested beams.  Yea I'm pis.s.e.d and I'm not going away until I get a fair resoultion. I may not win in the legal arena but in the court of  public opinion ...well we'll see. Thanks for reaching out. 

Sophomore

Re: Can't Download from Microsoft

My exchange of over 11 pages is a good example of what you are describing where the mods don't offer input.  I remember reading on here somewhere that the mods want others to try to solve issues for them.  Not sure about that business model either.

I have been given a discount for the last few months, but I just need faster internet in order to stream.  Still waiting for my Gen 5 install, so I'll see how that goes

Freshman

Re: receiving less than 17 percent of my contracted speed

Deceiving download speed. It will run up to the guaranteed speed. Just not on all sites.

Freshman

Can't download

I know Hughsnet is controlling the download speed of the Netflix Movie download feature. I however, do not understand why. It is not competing with Hugsnet. Why do they slow it so badly? I cannot use my FREE 50 Gig download from  1 to 8 am. On my last try I aborted it at 1 hour into a 500 mb download. It was one third complete. I cannot use it because Hughsnet slows the Netflix download to a crawl. At first it was fast, when I signed up. As soon as the trial period was up however, Most of my download speeds, on certain popular sites ,went to a crawl. Yet my speed tests indicate fast speeds. Very deceiving. It becomes obvious rather quickly that the sites providing speed tests are passed through un-throttled. It is also quite easy to compare the packets coming in from Netflix to the ones moving through a speed test. Hmmm. Further adding to the facts, I have three IP's and, only Hughsnet does this. On my other two providers, the download is as fast as the connection is running. I just drove one block, and downloaded the same movie in 2 minutes with a different IP. Please don't further insult your customers by claiming they are not throttled " download speeds". I will not get into an Internet argument on this. These throttling issues are well known. It is best to just tell us what really is going on. It might keep a customer for you. Deception creates the customer anger you see here. Some of us understand the perils of marketing.

I will not be renewing. They got my money for two years.

Distinguished Professor III

@bmorgil

Hughesnet does not throttle speeds on individual sites, nor do they throttle the overall speed , save for two instances, the latter of which the customer controls:  when one is in FAP due to having used all of their data in the given time period and when one has the Video Data Saver option turned on, which deliberately throttles the speed of some streaming (including Youtube).  

If you are having speed issues I suggest that you create a new topic to receive help.

Assumptions, whether by one person or many, are not facts.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

I just got off an extensive conference call on this very issue. Without delving into "Net Equality" let’s just say I know it’s true. You can deny it. It matters little. I watched a test performed on a download. It was showing the buried video providers transfer rate. Low and behold.... a throttling issue. As I said, I won't argue this. I just watched Hughesnet do it. Thinking that customers don’t have the capability to check for this is a mistake. Some of us have the corporate power to do it. Can't wait till the two years are up. I don't know who you are, you are however, showing the Hughesnet employee look. The deception is infuriating. Why don't we open a subject on why Hughesnet thinks throttling is needed? Maybe their customers can assist? Maybe the customer is important in this trend?

Assistant Professor

How do you know it's not HughesNet's provider? If your gateway is going through the Level3 backbone they have long history of having connection issues with Apple and Microsoft (amongst numrous others using Akamai as a CDN), depending upon how bollocksed up their routing table is.

Sometimes things aren't precisely what you think they are.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor III

@bmorgil wrote:

I just got off an extensive conference call on this very issue. Without delving into "Net Equality" let’s just say I know it’s true. You can deny it. It matters little. I watched a test performed on a download. It was showing the buried video providers transfer rate. Low and behold.... a throttling issue. As I said, I won't argue this. I just watched Hughesnet do it. Thinking that customers don’t have the capability to check for this is a mistake. Some of us have the corporate power to do it. Can't wait till the two years are up. I don't know who you are, you are however, showing the Hughesnet employee look. The deception is infuriating. Why don't we open a subject on why Hughesnet thinks throttling is needed? Maybe their customers can assist? Maybe the customer is important in this trend?

SMH.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

@GabeU

Welcome to the alt-facts banter era.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Freshman

Sure alternate facts.. Ha-ha and I did vote for Trump. You are either poorly informed of your own Hughesnet or, you are in the game with them. How can you state that with a setting in my router II can request Hughsnet to throttle my speed myself, yet Hughesnet doesn't do that?  In this thread it states if the load on the satellite needs proportional adjustment the speed is varied based on customer load. You can watch it happen in the right room. So what you are saying is "oh they would never do that"? Because, they sure can do that. Can't wait till the two years is up. What a rip off. Very misrepresented. The speed is only there for certain sites at the whim of Hughesnet. One thing you surly can't deney. I can go to 2 other providers with the same laptop and have no prblem at all. Yet on Hughesnet it so slow it is not usable. Hmm.. alt facts.