rrible service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tammyf54
New Poster

rrible service

Can someone tell me how to get better service. I think it is ridiculous to charge someone early termination fees for service that hasn't worked from the beginning. ALL my data is used up within the first day. I do no do gaming and we do not connect our phones to the wifi. Our tv's constantly buffer and any time I call in I'm told it's storming in Montana. I've asked repeatedly to be taken off the Montana gateway because apparently it storms every day 365 days a year in Montana. They may have done so but now I'm on a gateway in CA which apparently it storms daily there too.

No one speaks english and I am tired of going through speed tests which all say that it is fine then to be told I've used up all my data and it's been slowed down within 24hrs of a new cycle.

9 REPLIES 9

@tammyf54 wrote:

.................. ALL my data is used up within the first day.........

.................. Our tv's constantly buffer......................

That second statement may be the cause of the first.  Streaming video will use a ton of data, and quickly put you over the data limit. 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The purpose of the early termination fee is likely to recoup the money they spend setting up your system (dish, radio, modem, cables, etc.).  Nobody likes the early termination fee, but most if not all internet service providers will charge you if you leave before the end of your contract. 

If your data is all gone on the first day, it is likely you may need more data and/or you may need to budget the data you have so everyone at home can use the internet. The data packages for satellite internet are not all that big -- for HN currently the largest package is 50GB per month. We all get an additional 50GB for free to use between the hours of 2 am and 8 am. So the max a user can get is 100 GB a month.

Any package you have will require serious data management so you can make it last the whole month -- otherwise you will have to spend money buying tokens, and that gets pretty expensive pretty soon. So budgeting the data available and knowing where it goes is crucial.  You need to divide your available data into the number of days in the month to know how much you can use per day. You need to know what and who is using the data and how much they're using per day, so if anything or anyone is using more than the daily allowance, you need to change your data usage habits. 

There is a lot of information here on the community that can help you learn to be a better consumer, and to keep a handle on your monthly data usage.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@tammyf54 wrote:

Can someone tell me how to get better service. I think it is ridiculous to charge someone early termination fees for service that hasn't worked from the beginning. ALL my data is used up within the first day. I do no do gaming and we do not connect our phones to the wifi. Our tv's constantly buffer and any time I call in I'm told it's storming in Montana. I've asked repeatedly to be taken off the Montana gateway because apparently it storms every day 365 days a year in Montana. They may have done so but now I'm on a gateway in CA which apparently it storms daily there too.

No one speaks english and I am tired of going through speed tests which all say that it is fine then to be told I've used up all my data and it's been slowed down within 24hrs of a new cycle.

The problem is that it has not worked from day 1. I don't have our cell phones connected to it at all since we have unlimited data through At&T. The only thing I use it for is to connect the TV since I son't do satelite tv. We don't do any gaming and because we are on a server in CA I can't even use the TV Monday - Friday after I get home from work because it constantly freezes up or will buffer constantly. I'm told first that it's because it's storming in Montana then when I request to be moved from Montana then I am told that I've used up all my data and speeds are slow but while I still have used up all my data I can get up on Saturday Morning and watch show with no issues. So this appears to be where they have placed me at on the gateway. I think it's clogging up with so many people trying to go through it that it makes it hard for me to do anthing with it.

They knew what I wanted to do with it before I signed up. I was told that it would support me streaming with no issues and that only gaming would eat up the data. I don't think they should be able to lie and sell you something knowing it won't work then charge you an early termination fee which just adds insult to injury.

maratsade

I don't doubt for a second that you're very frustrated and at the end of your rope with this -- when did you subscribe? If it was within about 6 months, you can always request a review of your sales call -- this way, the HN reps can see what the sales person told you about the service.   

It's possible your beam is clogged with a lot of people -- this is especially true during the holidays when so many people are off work and everyone wants to sit back and stream a show. 

Streaming does eat up data, and if the sales agent told you it doesn't, that's something the company probably wants to know and deal with. Anything you do involving being online, from checking email to streaming eats up data. 

Do you have your TV connected to your modem?  This can eat scads of data very quickly. 

Can you get to this URL?  http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/conn_dev_info

It will show you what's currently connected to your network. Sometimes this can give you an idea of possible data hogs.   

You may want to read this too:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Where-s-my-bytes-Testing-for-data-leaks/m-p/77194#M5...

Hi Tammy, 

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. maratsade and gaines_wright have already posted some useful information on optimizing your HughesNet system, good idea to consider it. Here's one more useful link: https://hninfo.us/datatips 

I pulled up your diagnostics to ensure your HughesNet equipment is working properly, and all looks fine, except that you are out of your data allowance, so speeds are currently slowed down. 

I've noticed that your Chromecast only has a fair wifi connection, so you should connect it to the 2.4 GHz network as opposed to the 5GHz network to improve performance. If you're keen on staying on the 5GHz network, you should move the Chromecast (and whatever it's attached to) closer to the HughesNet modem, as the 5GHz network's range is smaller than the 2.4 GHz network's.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

Tammy,

The images that Chromecast downloads for its backgrounds may also be eating a lot of data, though apparently there's a now a setting in Google Home that can help with this. See this article.

Stuartkccm
Spectator

Im dealing with same issue. They lie to get you signed on, then give you extra data during the time you can cancel. This way you dont know how slow it will be. I was told by sales person the slowest my speed woukd be when used data was 3mbs. That was twice as fast as I had so sounded great. My speed today 0.15 I pay $30 more a month for crap. I'm like you even when i don't use the data seems to dissapear. I'm tempted to turn off when it resets to see if data still dissapears. Like you I complain over and over.
GabeU

@Stuartkccm wrote:
Im dealing with same issue. They lie to get you signed on, then give you extra data during the time you can cancel. 

They give you unlimited data during the first 20 days so you can bring your devices to current without it affecting what would be your normal data allotment, as that endeavor can use a lot of data.  This is done as a courtesy, and is explained in the Welcome email sent by HughesNet.  

And you can cancel the service at any time, but there is no 30 day trial or test period with which to cancel without an Early Termination Fee.  When cancelling during the 24 month contract period there will be an Early Termination Fee.   

If you'd like advice regarding data conservation, please see this thread and this thread.    

Regarding you being told that the slowest speed you would see was 3Mbps, you can start a new post in the "MyAccount and Billing" section and request that your sales call be reviewed to determine if unrealistic expectations were set by the salesperson.  If it's determined that this is the case, you may have recourse regarding the Early Termination Fee when cancelling.  Please be aware that only the actual sales call is recorded and available for review, and they are generally only available for review for a few months after that call.  

Edit:  Judging by the topic you started in the General Discussion section, it looks like Hardy may already be looking into this for you.  

GabeU

@tammyf54

If the streaming source you are using is streaming in HD, you will need to turn off, or snooze, the Video Data Saver in order to avoid the buffering.  BUT, streaming in HD uses a LOT of data.  Upwards of 3GB or more per hour.  Because of this, it's best to change the resolution of the streaming source to Standard Def (480p) or lower, if you can, in order to save data.  

While HughesNet can support streaming, it's not really made for cord cutting because of the amount of data used for such.  Because of this, many of us who have satellite internet also have satellite TV.  Myself included.