scheduling Windows update

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
commando57
Freshman

scheduling Windows update

I am unable to locate the place in windows update to place the bonus hour time slot . It does not look like your tutorial. Help me, please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@commando57 

If you have Windows 10, I don't know that there is any way to schedule the actual download the update(s).  In Pro you can schedule when to install them, but they still download automatically.  You can, however, set Windows Update to notify you of when updates are ready for download and installation, and you can then perform them manually, but again, this is only with Pro. 

With any version of Windows 10 you can Pause updates and even set your computer to "Metered", which can help to stave off non security updates, but you'll still have to manually download and install them, unfortunately, and both Pause and the Metered setting only stave them off for a number of days.  

Windows 10 took away a lot of our Update options, unfortunately.  😞

If you do have Windows 10 Pro and want to know how to set it to manually download and install the updates, you can see the directions here.  You would want to choose option # 2 Notify for download and install). 

Edit: I should have added that the HughesNet scheduling instructions are for older versions of Windows (prior to 10).

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@commando57 

If you have Windows 10, I don't know that there is any way to schedule the actual download the update(s).  In Pro you can schedule when to install them, but they still download automatically.  You can, however, set Windows Update to notify you of when updates are ready for download and installation, and you can then perform them manually, but again, this is only with Pro. 

With any version of Windows 10 you can Pause updates and even set your computer to "Metered", which can help to stave off non security updates, but you'll still have to manually download and install them, unfortunately, and both Pause and the Metered setting only stave them off for a number of days.  

Windows 10 took away a lot of our Update options, unfortunately.  😞

If you do have Windows 10 Pro and want to know how to set it to manually download and install the updates, you can see the directions here.  You would want to choose option # 2 Notify for download and install). 

Edit: I should have added that the HughesNet scheduling instructions are for older versions of Windows (prior to 10).